Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2021

jburns

16 minutes ago, NCSNOW said:

Awesome 0z Icon, Gfs runs. No pressure, only 6 days of prevent defense left trying to keep this locked in. 

11 minutes ago, BornAgain13 said:

0z Cmc is to warm.  Brings some rain

Yeah, GFS and Icon were about as good as we can hope for in this setup with the wave pass.  CMC is the 'nightmare' scenario of the farther north wave track and the pesky closed upper low north of the Great Lakes (blue blob) which doesn't allow the damming high to build in.  You can see the difference here between the 2 north of the Great Lakes

YrUsdUZ.png

2sIaYn8.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Something I'm noticing; 

I think the secret sauce to this event is the ridge that fills in behind our shortwave. So let's look at the GFS:

image.thumb.png.378fd2d0e265c00b8df2d9dde40ef11f.pngs

Two things to draw attention to. The wave coming into Cali is big, and stout, and robust, and really helping pump up the ridge to its east. For comparison sake, make mental note of the 558 decameter line, which nudges all the way into Wyoming. Nice ridge! That ridge is what's shunting our shortwave SE-ward and letting it bomb off the coast. 

Now, the fresh Canadian for comparison:

image.thumb.png.6fc074df2f41ec90607731bd4ec80f8b.png

So, the Cali trough; it's a little weaker, it's a little faster, it's a little less robust. In response, the Wyoming ridge: barely seeing that 552 decameter line cross into Wyoming. It's a weaker ridge. In response, that ridge doesn't have the elbow grease to shunt our wave to the southeast which is why the mid-atlantic gets a good hit on the Canadian. 

All of these troughs and ridges respond to one another- a stronger than forecast trough off the west coast could mean a stronger than forecasted ridge over the rockies which translates to a stronger, deeper trough near us... you get the idea. 

So that's probably what I'm going to be paying the most attention to going forward.

• Thanks 4

4 minutes ago, griteater said:

Yeah, GFS and Icon were about as good as we can hope for in this setup with the wave pass.  CMC is the 'nightmare' scenario of the farther north wave track and the pesky closed upper low north of the Great Lakes (blue blob) which doesn't allow the damming high to build in.  You can see the difference here between the 2 north of the Great Lakes

Yeah, to append my whole spiel about wave dynamics, also doesn't help when you don't have a great big damming high that forces your cyclogenesis off the coast.

9 minutes ago, griteater said:

UKMet looks closer to the GFS than the CMC.  It is warmer than the GFS at 850mb.  After hr144 here, the storm wave over W TN/KY would be moving ESE

OBMdFyY.gif

Decent bit faster. At 0z on the 28th the GFS is just starting to form the weak surface low back around Louisiana/Mississippi, while the UKMet already has it there in south/central GA. I’d guess we want the slower solutions allowing the HP more time to get into position.

45 minutes ago, Leesville Wx Hawk said:

Yep, down to 5-7 inches now instead of 12-16”.  I’ll just take a guaranteed 6 at this point since we have been pretty much blanked here 5 miles north-northeast of RDU.

I wouldn't get caught up in amounts or spread just yet.  The interactive system behaviors are still there and producing snow so that's important.

• Thanks 1