• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Death of DroughtStein Discussion

Bostonseminole

Scooter has been having trouble realizing the SE mass Drought didn't get much of a dent at all and the "chances" in the near future look weak. I've just been reading the forum the last few days and not commenting but i've found that he's trying too hard almost like Cranky when he's a bit off. Hi Scott Lol Just what i'm reading from  you...total disdain for complaining that a rain event that looked like 1.5-2.00 got cut by 75%, citing chances in a medium term full of question marks... almost like in the winter When PF posts his latest 6" Moose fart snow fall and  has 300" at picnic tables and your waiting on the first storm that doesn't change over.  SE mass has a Legit gripe. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Scooter has been having trouble realizing the SE mass Drought didn't get much of a dent at all and the "chances" in the near future look weak. I've just been reading the forum the last few days and not commenting but i've found that he's trying too hard almost like Cranky when he's a bit off. Hi Scott Lol Just what i'm reading from  you...total disdain for complaining that a rain event that looked like 1.5-2.00 got cut by 75%, citing chances in a medium term full of question marks... almost like in the winter When PF posts his latest 6" Moose fart snow fall and  has 300" at picnic tables and your waiting on the first storm that doesn't change over.  SE mass has a Legit gripe. 

Moose fart

1 hour ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Nobody said it would alleviate the drought. Last week when everyone said no rain, I told them that we have a huge trough to our west. Models will struggle with s/w placement, but it will rain. This was for the New England region, obviously we cannot get hyper local like Bristol county when we are 5-8 days out. We had a good soaking (>0.5") in 90% of the area. The fact Taunton missed getting almost 1" by like 7 miles as the crow flies, it just shit luck. Going forward they'll be a few showers there tomorrow, with a better chance of something Monday and then again Wednesday. It's October. A half inch goes a long way unlike in July when it dries up an hour later. Stein is done for now. Maybe he has Bob and Brett by the taint, but he isn't getting stronger. 

• Like 1

Took about 9 hours to get 0.20" yesterday.  Had it been the first RA in weeks the moisture would not have penetrated an inch, but with 1.14" on 9/30 moistening things, even 2/10" is helpful.  Surprisingly cool (30°) this morning.  Fortunately it was just wet in the garden (some shelter from the woods to its east) and the peppers are now safely inside w/o frost damage.

It looks like this drought is not going to end anytime soon.  Models are very dry going forward.   It's lucky that we had that widespread precipitation event on Sept 30th.   Looking forward many parts of New England will have .10" to .50" over the next 2 weeks.  PF's area and far NNE looks to do better.  It's a good thing the growing season has ended. 

8 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

It looks like this drought is not going to end anytime soon.  Models are very dry going forward.   It's lucky that we had that widespread precipitation event on Sept 30th.   Looking forward many parts of New England will have .10" to .50" over the next 2 weeks.  PF's area and far NNE looks to do better.  It's a good thing the growing season has ended. 

The wet pattern guys quickly packed up and headed home. Didn’t say goodbye, because they knew what they’d done

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think I'm done sprinkling the new grass. Looks to have established, but not quite long enough to cut. More rain would be nice, but Stein just won't leave

41 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

I’d say wells and reservoirs not being replenished as a pretty viable issue moving forward.

There was a drill truck down the road on bridge street today.... who knows if it was due to the drought... but you never know... those are older homes that have been there for a long time 

3 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Yeah looks like the upslope zones of here and over in Alex/Phin could be serviceable but... definitely dry 10-day totals for the heart of the forum.

ECMWF

1AE67B6C-682A-4229-ABC3-3A6E4A8D5807.jpeg.36207efd1205f6c35586fad33b8c73b0.jpeg

GFS

67F56C02-D418-4360-B2B7-B52894B7EBE8.jpeg.6da1a77fb3a937d3831b0ed605249715.jpeg

GGEM

B7466511-C4D8-453A-963B-229B20CFC79D.jpeg.3f6428407df377bbf9b1c524d72d20ef.jpeg

20 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah looks like the upslope zones of here and over in Alex/Phin could be serviceable but... definitely dry 10-day totals for the heart of the forum.

ECMWF

1AE67B6C-682A-4229-ABC3-3A6E4A8D5807.jpeg.36207efd1205f6c35586fad33b8c73b0.jpeg

GFS

67F56C02-D418-4360-B2B7-B52894B7EBE8.jpeg.6da1a77fb3a937d3831b0ed605249715.jpeg

GGEM

B7466511-C4D8-453A-963B-229B20CFC79D.jpeg.3f6428407df377bbf9b1c524d72d20ef.jpeg

Maybe later this month sonething tropical gets intertwined .. but this is precisely why several posters told you and others calling for pattern change to wet to proceed with caution and not spike the ball. Droughts  do not just end in 10 days . The driest areas under the worst drought from CT to RI  had under 1”, and theres nothing coming 

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Maybe later this month sonething tropical gets intertwined .. but this is precisely why several posters told you and others calling for pattern change to wet to proceed with caution and not spike the ball. Droughts  do not just end in 10 days . The driest areas under the worst drought from CT to RI  had under 1”, and theres nothing coming 

It's certainly been a pattern change up here.  We did like 27 days totaling only a third of an inch.  Then it started raining and looks like more chances coming.  Mountain waterways and drainages finally have running water in them again.

It is too bad it hasn't worked out down your way, but at least you aren't getting screwed out of snowfall.  Would hurt a lot more to miss out in winter than some fall rainers. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It's certainly been a pattern change up here.  We did like 27 days totaling only a third of an inch.  Then it started raining and looks like more chances coming.  Mountain waterways and drainages finally have running water in them again.

It is too bad it hasn't worked out down your way, but at least you aren't getting screwed out of snowfall.  Would hurt a lot more to miss out in winter than some fall rainers. 

That’s a foregone conclusion . 

34 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

The culvert the county just dug in the road leading to my driveway to prevent washouts has had standing water in it for days now. I am happy to see that again. Normally there is a ton of water around here and flooded basements are a much bigger concern than dry wells.

Just now, PhineasC said:

The culvert the county just dug in the road leading to my driveway to prevent washouts has had standing water in it for days now. I am happy to see that again. Normally there is a ton of water around here and flooded basements are a much bigger concern than dry wells.

Yeah we are used to frequent and overall wet weather in the NNE mountains. This September was one of the driest runs I can ever remember to be honest.  Those were some very low water totals in the northern mountains over a prolonged period compared to general climatology.  But now it feels normal again and models do show chances for water in our areas over the next 10 days.

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Many will just forecast with emotions until a mudslide goes through their house. Like our president, throw all science away and go with what you feel will happen.