Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Death of DroughtStein Discussion

Bostonseminole

33 minutes ago, dryslot said:

I fully loaded oak, One with none.

Pin oaks in Farmington are 80% (rough est.) leaf-retained and just reaching their peak color - they're the reddest of the oak species I see, though all near here are planted street trees.  The large oak 100' from this computer has 30-40% of its leaves; beyond that one only the understory beech/oak have more than a few hangers-on.  Zilch for acorns; scouted the 3-stem clump near my back line Saturday and found nada - that's been a decent area to hunt even w/o nuts but was hoping for even better.

• ORH_wxman unpinned this topic
  • 4 weeks later...

10 Vermont counties get Federal disaster status due to the drought:

https://www.sevendaysvt.com/OffMessage/archives/2020/11/17/drought-disaster-declared-for-10-vermont-counties

Federal officials have declared 10 counties in Vermont to be a natural disaster area due to the 2020 drought — a decision that allows farmers who lost crops to lack of rainfall to apply for disaster aid.

The counties are Addison, Bennington, Chittenden, Washington, Rutland, Windham, Windsor, Orange, Essex and Caledonia. Under federal law, the adjoining counties are also eligible for aid, meaning that farmers in all of Vermont and certain counties in New York, Massachusetts and New Hampshire will also qualify for aid over the next eight months.

Vermont farmers estimated at least $27 million in crop losses due to the drought. Corn and hay yields were down by as much as 75 percent, steams and farm ponds ran dry, and farmers were forced to haul water and feed animals harvested hay when pastures dried up. In Ferrisburgh, farmer Erik Andrus lost acres of rice that he'd planted.

• 2 weeks later...