• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    acibarich
    Newest Member
    acibarich

Fall Banter and General Discussion

25 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yea. Greek salad with blackened chicken...no olives, ever. 

From what I'm told I use to like olives as a toddler. Then I got real sick and my mom says I hate them ever since.

9 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

What's the stuff on the right between the cheese and nachos?

Are those Nachos?  They look like artichokes to me.  (to the right of the green olives) 

I see no Nachos.

10 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

What's the stuff on the right between the cheese and nachos?

9 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

It looks like an olive purée. I can’t stand olives but I’ve seen people put that on bread or crackers before. 

10 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

Olives in brown colored liquid :yikes:

22 minutes ago, klw said:

Are those Nachos?  They look like artichokes to me.  (to the right of the green olives) 

I see no Nachos.

Artichoke hearts

Pepperoni

Spanish olives

Black olives

Roasted peppers

Cheese

Eggplant Caponata

• Like 1

13 hours ago, radarman said:

Once gen z figures out you can't play video games on starlink it'll be a bunch of betamaxes in orbit

They just sent a few test satellites up that use lasers for communications. It's actually superior to any ground based fiber optics. 

The single biggest draw of laser interlinks is arguably the major reduction in connection latency (ping) they can enable compared to a similar network without it. By moving a great deal of the work of networking into orbit, the data transported on an interlinked satellite network would theoretically require much less routing to reach an end-user, physically shortening the distance that data has to travel. The speed of light (300,000 kilometers per second) may be immense but even on the small scale of the planet Earth, with the added inefficiencies inherent in even the best fiber optic cables, routing data to and from opposite ends of the planet can still be slowed down by high latency.

We have spectrum here. I hate them. They gave an antiquated system of using a tuning adaptor that calls for channels that aren’t being used on a particular node. Their bandwidth is too small to push every frequency so they hold back some channels until they’re called for. If you have a box, it’s not an issue. But we have TiVos, 3 of them, and they all require the stupid tuning adapter. We have to reboot it at lest 3 times a week and it craps the bed invariably at a time we are recording something 
Wow that blows. I get annoyed if I have to reboot tivo once a month

43 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I thought this was funny. And true. :lol: 

337E372B-24E2-4C6E-BD08-85F8FDA1D18D.jpeg

I always compared my parenting to my golf game, occasionally, I’m really on my game and break 80. Other days, it’s like my game has deserted me and I struggle to break 100. Most days it’s somewhere in between. 

5 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I always compared my parenting to my golf game, occasionally, I’m really on my game and break 80. Other days, it’s like my game has deserted me and I struggle to break 100. Most days it’s somewhere in between. 

It’s true. It’s been challenging the last year for sure. Just got to remember patience. 

17 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It’s true. It’s been challenging the last year for sure. Just got to remember patience. 

Have you been walkin’ the streets at night, just tryin to get it right?

• Haha 3

On my menu for today 

Cheese and cracker assortment, stuffed mushrooms

Roast turkey and gravy. Mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, corn, sage stuffing, cranberry sauce, garlic knots, butternut squash

Homemade apple pie, homemade chocolate cream pie

Beer, wine, sparkling grape juice. 

Just the 5 of us.  No travel.  

Enjoy the day.  I am thankful for much 

• Like 1

Thanksgiving off to a roaring start. Decided to make an apple pie. I don't have a pie pan but we do have a glass tart pan. Between the shorter sides and my poor crimping of the top and bottom crusts, juice bubbled out all over the oven and completely smoked us out. Both smoke detectors going off, dog barking, range hood on high and all the windows open. Fun times!

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Thanksgiving off to a roaring start. Decided to make an apple pie. I don't have a pie pan but we do have a glass tart pan. Between the shorter sides and my poor crimping of the top and bottom crusts, juice bubbled out all over the oven and completely smoked us out. Both smoke detectors going off, dog barking, range hood on high and all the windows open. Fun times!

Twisted fire starter. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, PhineasC said:

While you guys are struggling with Spectrum performance, I am struggling to get them to come to my house and hook me up. Right now, I have two LTE modems and a Viasat link that I pass through a load-balancing router. Basically, I take three super-shitty connections and form them into one shitty connection. Spectrum has to be better than that mess.

So basically you took 3 pieces of sh it and made them into one steaming pile? Spectrum is not the greatest, But we have few options other then dish or direct tv which i've had both previously before going to spectrum because of internet.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Ha ha, Amateur hour, That makes for a great mess in the oven too that baked on apple.

43 minutes ago, mreaves said:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uYMbPc4H0jo

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, BrianW said:

They just sent a few test satellites up that use lasers for communications. It's actually superior to any ground based fiber optics. 

The single biggest draw of laser interlinks is arguably the major reduction in connection latency (ping) they can enable compared to a similar network without it. By moving a great deal of the work of networking into orbit, the data transported on an interlinked satellite network would theoretically require much less routing to reach an end-user, physically shortening the distance that data has to travel. The speed of light (300,000 kilometers per second) may be immense but even on the small scale of the planet Earth, with the added inefficiencies inherent in even the best fiber optic cables, routing data to and from opposite ends of the planet can still be slowed down by high latency.

That still won’t help with the physical reality of beaming data from a satellite to a backyard. No way to shortcut that. Pings may go from well over 1,000ms to perhaps 500-700ms. Modern online games work best 100ms or less. So probably still no dice.