• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    MDweatherman
    Newest Member
    MDweatherman

Fall Banter and General Discussion

8 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

The lodging aspect will be tough...lodging = “ski lodge” in this case. Those things usually get packed for lunch but they can’t do that this winter. I’m sure some will be trying to spread the crowds outdoors but that’s only going to go so far....we all know about those days on the mountain where the high is like 5F.

But yeah, the actual skiing part is about as safe an activity as you can do. Outdoors and many people already have face coverings anyway. 

Most of those lodges probably have poor or no ventilation either. Most of them appear to be heated with pellet stoves, fireplaces, wall heaters,  etc. Since their is zero need in most lodges for ac they have no ductwork. 

10 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Vermont seemed to finally break thru their Covid Inversion 

Wonder what they will do shortly to address that and what it will mean for resorts / skiing . Maybe they do nothing

I will ponder that from the Von Trapp lodge In 36 hours . Might not be able to travel there soon . 

Do you know that they increased the quarantine requirements again?  You have to quarantine for 7 days at home and then have a negative test or quarantine for 14 days.

https://www.healthvermont.gov/covid-19/travel-quarantine/visitors-vermont

10 hours ago, bwt3650 said:

I bet that county map would have many in-state counties higher than the neighboring state's counties due to population ratios in the next couple weeks if they had stuck with it.

Map is still being made though it has been over-ridden.  Currently only 2 VT counties (Rutland and Franklin) would meet the safe to travel criteria set at 400 active cases per 100k and Rutland now has a nursing home outbreak so I doubt it will continue to meet the level for long.  Only two counties, 1 in Maine and 1 in NY would still meet the "safe to travel" limit.

Map can be found here:

https://accd.vermont.gov/covid-19/restart/cross-state-travel?wpmobileexternal=true

11 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

The lodging aspect will be tough...lodging = “ski lodge” in this case. Those things usually get packed for lunch but they can’t do that this winter. I’m sure some will be trying to spread the crowds outdoors but that’s only going to go so far....we all know about those days on the mountain where the high is like 5F.

But yeah, the actual skiing part is about as safe an activity as you can do. Outdoors and many people already have face coverings anyway. 

This is what lodges will look like.  Very empty.  With a line outside.

These are from a travel writer who was at Keystone last weekend.  This was the size of the crowd that Vail Resorts restricted via reservation system.

Very, very controlled environment.  Many people agreed even after COVID it should be like this, private country club style.

This isn’t because the demand isn’t there, they curtailed supply drastically to allow for a very crowd free environment.

FFFBBCF8-553B-4CE0-98EC-0E0E78A7C8F8.thumb.jpeg.09919c17af200f23b14e63bf9e32bfdd.jpeg

0FDE0AEB-7234-4A42-8FA3-1BF0580C8C5D.thumb.jpeg.3ef3a457cd5541dcda8928b1c598e349.jpeg

8 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Fox running pieces like this seems a bit irresponsible, antagonistic and certainly isn’t helping. 

5F16D50F-2892-487F-B240-A73E96A7EC69.thumb.jpeg.50fb501bdd148009fab82dcef312df44.jpeg

https://www.foxbusiness.com/business-leaders/musk-says-took-four-covid-19-tests-two-were-positive-two-negative

Elon Musk should never be quoted as an authority on anything, including car manufacturing. This is the same guy who predicted by the end of April COVID would be gone in the U.S.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, White Rain said:

I can see many of the ski resorts in Vermont go under if the restrictions keep up all winter, where as a place like Wachusett will be fine who does not rely on out of state business.

I may be completely out to lunch and I’m not saying the ski areas won’t struggle financially... but I don’t think it’s because of traveler restrictions.

The ski areas are planning to take maybe 50% or even less of their normal visitors just as a COVID precaution as it is.  I bet it’ll be even less given lift capacity of only like parties riding together, capacity of lodges (say 1 person for every 200 square feet including staff), etc.

I still think the public is thinking ski area business should be normal all else considered... but these places are planning, staffing, etc for only allowing less than 50% of normal visitations regardless of travel restrictions.

Its sort of why I say without restrictions it’s a terrible experience (like this summer at times) where you go on vacation and can’t ski, can’t eat out, etc because of the broader capacity restrictions.  And I think we’ll see that too.  Frustrations among the public that they are being capped out of doing what they want.

Things are being planned to operate at a very low number of visitors relative to normal.  Just look at the Keystone images.  They capped skier visits low to make a very controlled environment.

13 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Too many people are selfish and more concerned about themselves than kids. Keeping kids out of school and isolated has zero to do with keeping them safe. It is all about the adults.

I feel really bad for the only-children who are doing all remote learning. Just crushing isolation since March for them.

My girlfriend's brother has a 5 year old son and he has been in lockdown since March.  I think, with the exception of going into his tiny Boston backyard, and a few walks to the park he has really only left the property a handful of times.  

Just now, Cold Miser said:

My girlfriend's brother has a 5 year old son and he has been in lockdown since March.  I think, with the exception of going into his tiny Boston backyard, and a few walks to the park he has really only left the property a handful of times.  

That's a shame. The fear some parents have over the virus is trickling down to their kids and messing them up.

12 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

The amount of effort put in by our custodial staff, admins, support staff and teacher, on a budget of close to zero, to make our building as safe as possible has been astounding.   I understand it is hard for a lot of kids and parents to accept the way it has been set up, the new rules etc. but if we are going to stay open we have to follow state and CDC guidelines as much as possible    I’m trying to make it fun and close to normal but damn it is hard. And the crap thrown at us by much of the public has been reprehensible.  We are not the ones closing the schools or writing the mandates.  Local elected school boards and health officials determine that 

Melina told me that your gym teacher's are pretty much doing hardly anything.  What a joke on-line gym class must have been prior to the "hybrid" this week. 

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I may be completely out to lunch and I’m not saying the ski areas won’t struggle financially... but I don’t think it’s because of traveler restrictions.

The ski areas are planning to take maybe 50% or even less of their normal visitors just as a COVID precaution as it is.  I bet it’ll be even less given lift capacity of only like parties riding together, capacity of lodges (say 1 person for every 200 square feet including staff), etc.

I still think the public is thinking ski area business should be normal all else considered... but these places are planning, staffing, etc for only allowing less than 50% of normal visitations regardless of travel restrictions.

Its sort of why I say without restrictions it’s a terrible experience (like this summer at times) where you go on vacation and can’t ski, can’t eat out, etc because of the broader capacity restrictions.  And I think we’ll see that too.  Frustrations among the public that they are being capped out of doing what they want.

Things are being planned to operate at a very low number of visitors relative to normal.  Just look at the Keystone images.  They capped skier visits low to make a very controlled environment.

Something will have to give if this continues. The ski resorts can try to absorb a bad season and put on a brave face, but if guest numbers remain low, ticket prices will need to rise to compensate. That's just basic business math.

3 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Something will have to give if this continues. The ski resorts can try to absorb a bad season and put on a brave face, but if guest numbers remain low, ticket prices will need to rise to compensate. That's just basic business math.

Oh they already have.  Most of the independents have drastically raised their season pass price up here.  And day ticket prices will go up to match the out of whack supply/demand.  Very high demand, low capacity to country club level... gets you country club prices eventually.

Cost savings wise though there’s less staff for sure to handle less guests.  They’ll cut some costs as well, fridge amenities that lost money.  Maybe you don’t make enough snow to last till June.  You dust and run, vs building 15 foot depths.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I'm hoping this will cause more people to go to some of the smaller mountains. Some of those places are nearly empty during week days, but perhaps they can pick up some extra business because larger resorts are capped. Hopefully that helps offset at least some of the losses they are going to have on the weekend.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

To make up for money lost in concessions at the lodges they would probably need to double ticket prices to get back to normal baseline.

However, if they did that, say goodbye to day skiers,  it would be season pass holders only.

Just now, powderfreak said:

Oh they already have.  Most of the independents have drastically raised their season pass price up here.  And day ticket prices will go up to match the out of whack supply/demand.  Very high demand, low capacity to country club level... gets you country club prices eventually.

OK, I get what you mean with the "country club experience" statement. That's fine for folks like me, I'm sure. I often pay extra for primo experiences and fewer crowds. Many others won't be able or willing to do that, however.

• Weenie 1

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

That's a shame. The fear some parents have over the virus is trickling down to their kids and messing them up.

The wife is currently getting her PHD in the medical field, and her brother works for Moderna so there is they are pretty tied into all things, virus related.  She seems more hardcore than he does, but I fear that the whole thing will take its toll on the kid in some form.  Facetime meetings, and one 3 hour visit this summer, but that has been about it as far as communication between my girlfriend and her nephew. 

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It’s all a losing proposition in h the end.  Eventually you would just have the 5 or 6 big resort mountains as exclusive clubs and everyone else closed. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

OK, I get what you mean with the "country club experience" statement. That's fine for folks like me, I'm sure. I often pay extra for primo experiences and fewer crowds. Many others won't be able or willing to do that, however.

Yeah I mean that seemed to be the jive I got from people who posted about Keystone, CO opening last weekend.  Usually it’s a mad house on opening weekend, but articles written about it gave the impression that many enjoyed that low-key empty experience to the total gong-show that it normally is (if you got a reservation for it).

Like they’d rather wait 15 min for a wide open table and plenty of space in a lodge as opposed to the old first come first serve people crawling over others to get to their stuff experience.  They also said the slopes were much more empty and felt safer than having thousands of folks bombing down.

I think the ski industry might learn or change some things too from this... but the frugal skier usually loses in that case. 

7 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

It’s all a losing proposition in h the end.  Eventually you would just have the 5 or 6 big resort mountains as exclusive clubs and everyone else closed. 

Yeah.  Like a Bolton Valley only pass right now (with holiday blackouts too) would cost you $762.

Thats not that different than an Epic or IKON pass for tons of resorts.

27 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

This is what lodges will look like.  Very empty.  With a line outside.

These are from a travel writer who was at Keystone last weekend.  This was the size of the crowd that Vail Resorts restricted via reservation system.

Very, very controlled environment.  Many people agreed even after COVID it should be like this, private country club style.

This isn’t because the demand isn’t there, they curtailed supply drastically to allow for a very crowd free environment.

:lol:

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Regarding limiting the # of daily skiers. Are places in VT, NH, ME going to do the same where they will only let so many on the mtn? Will you need to make a reservation and will season pass holders be given priority over day trippers? We've got our annual SR trip planned for Feb and will pick up a few other day trips throughout the season, but it's looking more like a PITA to make it worthwhile. I see lots more snowmobiling this season

21 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

Melina told me that your gym teacher's are pretty much doing hardly anything.  What a joke on-line gym class must have been prior to the "hybrid" this week. 

They still cannot do gym in person.  Our school's gym is now being used as a second cafeteria.  They are stuck doing all of their classes remotely.

18 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

The wife is currently getting her PHD in the medical field, and her brother works for Moderna so there is they are pretty tied into all things, virus related.  She seems more hardcore than he does, but I fear that the whole thing will take its toll on the kid in some form.  Facetime meetings, and one 3 hour visit this summer, but that has been about it as far as communication between my girlfriend and her nephew. 

Finger on the trigger to buy some stock, but not sure they are going to eclipse PFZ's 90% efficacy, although they do have the less rigid temp requirement for the vax. Plus, if mRNA tech works as well as it looks it might, their market cap should really take off given their whole platform is RNA based

Just now, HoarfrostHubb said:

They still cannot do gym in person.  Our school's gym is now being used as a second cafeteria.  They are stuck doing all of their classes remotely.

distance gym class = just as close to useless as you can get. 

6 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Finger on the trigger to buy some stock, but not sure they are going to eclipse PFZ's 90% efficacy, although they do have the less rigid temp requirement for the vax. Plus, if mRNA tech works as well as it looks it might, their market cap should really take off given their whole platform is RNA based

That’s still a one day buy and sell.  Take some profit and get out.

21 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Regarding limiting the # of daily skiers. Are places in VT, NH, ME going to do the same where they will only let so many on the mtn? Will you need to make a reservation and will season pass holders be given priority over day trippers? We've got our annual SR trip planned for Feb and will pick up a few other day trips throughout the season, but it's looking more like a PITA to make it worthwhile. I see lots more snowmobiling this season

Depends on the mountain.  But I can bet you every mountain has a limit in place right now, this is not the year for spur of the moment trips...plan ahead with the place you want to visit.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah I mean that seemed to be the jive I got from people who posted about Keystone, CO opening last weekend.  Usually it’s a mad house on opening weekend, but articles written about it gave the impression that many enjoyed that low-key empty experience to the total gong-show that it normally is (if you got a reservation for it).

Like they’d rather wait 15 min for a wide open table and plenty of space in a lodge as opposed to the old first come first serve people crawling over others to get to their stuff experience.  They also said the slopes were much more empty and felt safer than having thousands of folks bombing down.

I think the ski industry might learn or change some things too from this... but the frugal skier usually loses in that case. 

Yeah... like everything else, it’ll be geared to those that have the money. An example being people willing to walk up to the window and pay full price as opposed to looking for discounts on ski sites.

Me thinks days of being able to easily find discounts on lift tickets if you are willing to take 5 minutes to look are gone 

2 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Yeah... like everything else, it’ll be geared to those that have the money. An example being people willing to walk up to the window and pay full price as opposed to looking for discounts on ski sites.

Me thinks days of being able to easily find discounts on lift tickets if you are willing to take 5 minutes to look are gone 

2020, the year skiing went from a middle class/upper middle class hobby to a silver spoon hobby. :thumbsdown:

• Sad 1