Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fall Banter and General Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

7 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I was just posting over in the PR Covid thread how I think governors are going to be under a lot of pressure with how they approach any shut downs.  We have entered the busiest retail season of the year.
Shutting down brick and mortar businesses will be disastrous for business owners and local economies. There will be a tremendous pushback too.  I do not want friends or family getting sick but I also do not want to live in a world where online ordering is my only option for retail goods.

Anyone that shuts anything down will be quickly overruled. As we’ve come to understand this bug.. you protect the olds. And live life. Nothing shuts 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Anyone that shuts anything down will be quickly overruled. As we’ve come to understand this bug.. you protect the olds. And live life. Nothing shuts 

Well, not to be selfish but my wife and I, as a fun hobby, have an antiques booth at a local antiques mall and I would hate to see them have to shut down between now and Christmas.

• Like 1

I’m not sure what I would even shutdown.  Gyms maybe?  That was the one place my wife’s pulmonologist said she shouldn’t really go back to.  Even then, I haven’t heard of those being spreader havens.  

Maybe just let it be.  Encourage people to be careful, wash hands, wear fun masks. 

1 minute ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I’m not sure what I would even shutdown.  Gyms maybe?  That was the one place my wife’s pulmonologist said she shouldn’t really go back to.  Even then, I haven’t heard of those being spreader havens.  

Maybe just let it be.  Encourage people to be careful, wash hands, wear fun masks. 

Yes . Yes yes . 

23 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Just requires putting up a few hundred thousand on a house 600 miles away you aren’t even allowed to see in person during a pandemic. LOL

Many restless nights in April. 

Even if there were a few issues with the house, the plot of land with that type view is worth a long term investment. Just that view alone is worth a lot.

It’s almost gravy that the house is in pretty good shape. 

That part of NH barely north of the presidentials over to the mahoosucs in adjacent Maine is still a relative secret but it won’t be forever. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Even if there were a few issues with the house, the plot of land with that type view is worth a long term investment. Just that view alone is worth a lot.

It’s almost gravy that the house is in pretty good shape. 

That part of NH barely north of the presidentials over to the mahoosucs in adjacent Maine is still a relative secret but it won’t be forever. 

It’s like Stowe in the 1950s lol.

But yeah when Phin puts it that way, it’s a little scary buying that much sight unseen ha.  Regardless of how much coin you have, unseen in person is a gamble.  

1 hour ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Western Massachusetts too.  Realtor friends saying houses are going within days of hitting the market generally for over asking price. 

Many of them are being bought as second homes. Especially the more rural properties within striking distance of Northampton

It’s one thing when it’s somebody like Phin buying a mountain house where nobody lives. The issue around here is that it is really screwing people who actually live and work here and are looking to purchase a first home or upgrade due to growing family size. 

Another phenomenon happening right now is wealthy families who have kids in the 5 college system are buying houses and condos so Junior doesn’t have to live in the dorms. Worse is that they are renting apartments for the same purpose.  It has caused a real housing shortage of decent places to live.

Right, I'm noticing that also around here.  The market is going on 6-7 months red hot, which is great for homeowners like myself, probably added 150k value since April, but horrible for locals looking to get into starter or lower priced single family homes.  Those just don't even exist anymore, anything that is not a gut is snapped up in an instant and I even look at many houses and go "that house went for what?"

Also, my wife works for a local Real Estate company and they hired 4 new realtors with many more inquiring about working there.  Seems to be a new crop of people that are getting their real estate license looking to cash in on the current market.

13 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Right, I'm noticing that also around here.  The market is going on 6-7 months red hot, which is great for homeowners like myself, probably added 150k value since April, but horrible for locals looking to get into starter or lower priced single family homes.  Those just don't even exist anymore, anything that is not a gut is snapped up in an instant and I even look at many houses and go "that house went for what?"

Also, my wife works for a local Real Estate company and they hired 4 new realtors with many more inquiring about working there.  Seems to be a new crop of people that are getting their real estate license looking to cash in on the current market.

Ha, I know two friends who switched from service industry to real estate right when COVID hit.  They saw it early and started taking courses online.

What you described is the situation I’m in.  I was single and moved to Stowe in my early 20s...saw the market was real depressed around that time right after the 2008 crash and realized mortgage payments might even be less than my monthly rent, as odd as that was.  Once you figure that out it’s like, why the hell am I giving my landlord the same amount of money but getting no equity in return?  The place I got, the dude was just straight up hard for money, and would take anything over nothing.  No one was buying condos or townhomes in that time frame, so I offered quite a bit less than asking price and he took it and ran.

The problem is now a decade later, I’d be interested in a house but likely would need to move like at least 30 minutes out towards the NEK due to the exploding real estate market...and I really enjoy living in town and 7 minutes from the ski resort.  So tough call.

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Ha, I know two friends who switched from service industry to real estate right when COVID hit.  They saw it early and started taking courses online.

What you described is the situation I’m in.  I was single and moved to Stowe in my early 20s...saw the market was real depressed around that time right after the 2008 crash and realized mortgage payments might even be less than my monthly rent, as odd as that was.  Once you figure that out it’s like, why the hell am I giving my landlord the same amount of money but getting no equity in return?  The place I got the dude was just straight up hard for money, and would take anything over nothing.  No one was buying condos or townhomes in that time frame, so I offered quite a bit less than asking price and he took it and ran.

The problem is now a decade later, I’d be interested in a house but likely would need to move like at least 30 minutes out towards the NEK due to the exploding real estate market...and I really enjoy living in town and 7 minutes from the ski resort.  So tough call.

Yea, that's a tough call.  Although without any kids you don't have to worry about school districts/etc and could probably find a nice weenie spot high up, although still pricier than 8 months ago, but you lose the close to work, close to town, close to restaurants/etc.

We have been in a similar situation since we moved to VT.  We looked at many places up high on the eastern slopes in the 2 times we have house shopped, but ended up in  the valley because of all the reasons I listed above in addition to family nearby and school proximity.  What's funny is that whenever we mentioned to realtors that we were also looking at places up in the Bromley/Stratton area, some would say "oh no, you dont want to be up there, you will never be able to get into town in the winter"  like it was Sapporo or Snoqulamie pass...lol.

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

A friend works at a gym chain and said hundreds of thousands of people have checked in the last few months. There have been no known outbreaks. 

30 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Yea, that's a tough call.  Although without any kids you don't have to worry about school districts/etc and could probably find a nice weenie spot high up, although still pricier than 8 months ago, but you lose the close to work, close to town, close to restaurants/etc.

We have been in a similar situation since we moved to VT.  We looked at many places up high on the eastern slopes in the 2 times we have house shopped, but ended up in  the valley because of all the reasons I listed above in addition to family nearby and school proximity.  What's funny is that whenever we mentioned to realtors that we were also looking at places up in the Bromley/Stratton area, some would say "oh no, you dont want to be up there, you will never be able to get into town in the winter"  like it was Sapporo or Snoqulamie pass...lol.

Yeah that’s a whole other thing.  Getting close to shit or get off the pot time with kids.  Wife turns 30 this year and I’ll be hitting mid-30s... that kid decision yay or nay is barreling at us fast.  Think that needs to be figured out before moving, who knows.

And LOL about not being able to get to town from Bromley.  You are pretty close anyway aren’t you?  Bromley ski area is like right on that road out of Manchester IIRC from my SVT ski days.

• Like 1

Went to drive through CV testing at Massasoit College today. Got tested last week and was negative. Went hunting in Nebraska for a week and still feel like crap.  Drove 45 minutes and found out they closed this morning due to fog and mist.  Wonder how many people drove to that place and said F it.  They'll spread the virus. 

I'm quarantining at another house with wine and beer. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah that’s a whole other thing.  Getting close to shit or get off the pot time with kids.  Wife turns 30 this year and I’ll be hitting mid-30s... that kid decision yay or nay is barreling at us fast.  Think that needs to be figured out before moving, who knows.

And LOL about not being able to get to town from Bromley.  You are pretty close anyway aren’t you?  Bromley ski area is like right on that road out of Manchester IIRC from my SVT ski days.

Wife being only 30 certainly gives you more time, so that's nice.

Yeah, can get to Bromley in 6-7 minutes, definitely was lol. Some of the more snooty valley folk in Dorset/Manchester look at the mountain towns as some different universe, almost Deliverance esque --you don't venture there unless you are strictly going to to ski.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Start tonight 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

why make your life worse?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

You guys have 6 years younger on us and I thought we were at shit or get off the pot. lol

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

My wife the other day said were running out of time, we’d need to have kids in the next year or two.

We are 26 lol. I told her to get lost 

It doesn't really get easier to have them when you are older. It seems that way now in your mid-20s. But in your mid-30s you'll realize.

• Like 2

Mid-20s to mid-30s is basically the most important decade of your life. It will set you on the path you are likely to follow for the rest of your life. You should be making major moves and rapid progressions in relationships, education, and your career. There seems to be a trend these days by some people to treat that decade as basically extended young adult party time, and I think that sets them on a less-fruitful path. Let me tell you that it is a real gut punch to suddenly wake up nearing age 40 still living basically the same life you lived when you were 23... 

Just my take anyway, everyone is different in terms of goals.

• Haha 1