• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fall Banter and General Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

The deaths are coming.  The rise has already begun, and we'll probably be at an average of 1000 deaths per day in a couple weeks or so.  It only goes up from there.  The thing about it is that what may start out as an outbreak among the young doesn't stay there.  This happened in the southern wave in the summer and it will creep into older/ more vulnerable populations this time too, aided by new factors such as kids returning home from college and holiday gatherings.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Weather_or_Not said:

Why do you want to be so militant against people talking about Covid? It's a relevant issue. Cases are at an all-time high. It's a banter thread for a reason. 

The last one got way too political. We tried it for months and it eventually got worse and worse. People couldn’t behave themselves so it stays off the wx side. Ya’ll can go discuss it on Ampol or somewhere else. 

I’m not a fan of censorship but this is a wx forum and we’ve always been strict about keeping politics off the wx side. The covid thread was an exception...and then it ultimately proved why we keep politics out of here.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

This thread is becoming too covid-centric. We got rid of the other one for a reason. 

I disagreed with you guys eliminating the Covid  thread earlier this year and still disagree that the moderators don't want any posts on a subject of science.  I understood that the old post veered into politics which is more subjective.  Perhaps after next week when the election will be over we could bring back discussion on this important topic that affects all of us and could become really bad over the next couple of months.  I found the New England discussion of Covid was a great resource as we have many intelligent people on this forum.  Just my 2 cents.

2 hours ago, Weather_or_Not said:

Why do you want to be so militant against people talking about Covid? It's a relevant issue. Cases are at an all-time high. It's a banter thread for a reason. 

Because this is a weather forum.  You want to discuss it, start a thread in the off topic part of the forum.  The discussion of the virus inevitably devolves into political leanings and we can’t have that.

Getting a prefab garage on Friday. Had to bring in a lot of fill for the garage to build up the land to level. I'm a bit concerned about the back side and sides where heavy rain could cause significant washout. Not sure what could be done to prevent that. We will seed some grass around sides of garage in Spring, but don't think seed would take hold on the slope sections of fill
PXL_20201025_201839196.jpgPXL_20201025_201823985.jpg

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Getting a prefab garage on Friday. Had to bring in a lot of fill for the garage to build up the land to level. I'm a bit concerned about the back side and sides where heavy rain could cause significant washout. Not sure what could be done to prevent that. We will seed some grass around sides of garage in Spring, but don't think seed would take hold on the slope sections of fill

We has a similar landscape problem with our garage when we built it about 20 years ago. Did you already have a compactor go over it? I hope so.

I'd be mindful over time with placing heavier than usual items on the downhill side. We needed to store some particularly heavy items in the garage for about 6-8 months one year and sadly choose the downhill side. After they were all cleared out, we saw the cracks that had formed. This lead to predictable issues and maintenance.

25 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Being honest here, I would seriously consider a retaining wall of some sorts around the back and sides, given it slopes down. 

We has a similar landscape problem with our garage when we built it about 20 years ago. Did you already have a compactor go over it? I hope so.
I'd be mindful over time with placing heavier than usual items on the downhill side. We needed to store some particularly heavy items in the garage for about 6-8 months one year and sadly choose the downhill side. After they were all cleared out, we saw the cracks that had formed. This lead to predictable issues and maintenance.
There was no compacting done with a compacter other than driving the dozer over after a load of fill was dropped off and spread, so this probably qualifies as compacting to some extent. Garage will be 14x24'.

3 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:
6 minutes ago, monadnocks said:

There was no compacting done with a compacter other than driving the dozer over after a load of fill was dropped off and spread, so this probably qualifies as compacting to some extent. Garage will be 14x24'. It'm pretty sure that we weren't dealing with any steeper of a grade on the far side. 

Ours is a two car garage with a good sized upper story so bigger than yours. We definitely had the compactor equipment going over it for quite a while - I remember the racket that it made. 

Consider either talking to the Extension Service or your local feed store for quick sprouting cover mixes. You're close to the ocean and depending on the elevation / exposure, you might be able to get something to grow. That also looks like pretty poor soil which will make it more of challenge.

There was no compacting done with a compacter other than driving the dozer over after a load of fill was dropped off and spread, so this probably qualifies as compacting to some extent. Garage will be 14x24'.
Would cost a fortune for a retaining wall and probably something that should have been put in place before fill was brought in

Ours is a two car garage with a good sized upper story so bigger than yours. We definitely had the compactor equipment going over it for quite a while - I remember the racket that it made. 

Consider either talking to the Extension Service or your local feed store for quick sprouting cover mixes. You're close to the ocean and depending on the elevation / exposure, you might be able to get something to grow. That also looks like pretty poor soil which will make it more of challenge.

Your garage has foundation or slab? We have neither. the garage arrives on a truck and is slid off into place. It's basically an oversized shed

45 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Dude.. if you can’t grow grass in the front on a sunny flat area, after 7 years in a row trying, I’d mail it in on trying to grow it on the north side of a garage on a steep slope

Your asking for problems of the site wasn’t prepared properly.  You should have brought the fill in lifts and had each lift compacted prior to moving on to the next one.   Over time that non-compacted fill will settle and your garage will be on an uneven base.  Could lead to issues with the garage structure in the future.  Doesn’t help that you also live in an area prone to temperature extremes.  You’re going to be prone to larger frost heaving with the non compacted soil as it will allow more moisture to penetrate into it.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Your asking for problems of the site wasn’t prepared properly.  You should have brought the fill in lifts and had each lift compacted prior to moving on to the next one.   Over time that non-compacted fill will settle and your garage will be on an uneven base.  Could lead to issues with the garage structure in the future.  Doesn’t help that you also live in an area prone to temperature extremes.  You’re going to be prone to larger frost heaving with the non compacted soil as it will allow more moisture to penetrate into it.

Yeah... I was going to say.... when you’re building up like that, you can’t really skip any steps, because it’s going to settle unevenly over time.

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Dude.. if you can’t grow grass in the front on a sunny flat area, after 7 years in a row trying, I’d mail it in on trying to grow it on the north side of a garage on a steep slope

I was thinking the exact same thing. He needs to get that netting type stuff that has seed and straw and pray it holds.