Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2020 Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

2 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

yeah ...hence the relativity to scope and scale - 

But I also think it is important to canvas in a larger region because there are some summers that are fropa plagued - we just haven't had one this year.   How do we draw the distinction then. 

Will and I had this conversation about four or five clicks ago... we seem to have a consensus then; we call it "shot across the bow" air mass?   It's that kind of air mass where DPs ... 42 ish, but 850mb temperature may still be 7 or so C ... such that open sky sun and NW d-slope wind might get you into the low and middle 70s ...but as soon as the sun kisses the western tree-line, the air just smells like it's going to hemorrhage heat - you can just tell... The next dawn is dripping dew... 41 F and smells like summers been swept away... Yet, that afternoon, it's back to 74F ...  You know, something that is visceral and clearly deeply obvious like that ..This? this was a weird pattern that by virtue toppled an usual big eastern/Maritime high over top, ...that got also accentuated at llvs by those upstart cyclones to our south.. My dp was 68 in rain yesterday ...that's not really unsummer - it's just unhot.  That high was there because of the big ridge in the west - transitive architecture.   It didn't have the same appeal to me as unilateral seasonal transition entry ... interesting... 

I mean your bolder is almost exactly what is forecast for J.Spin and myself, across to Phin/Alex the next couple days.  

Theres definitely some regionalism going on, but like I posted our zone forecast has highs struggling to 69-73F the next couple days with lows in the 40s.  Identical to what you just referenced.  

We get that a lot this time of year, where sun goes behind the mtns and you can just tell you are about to lose 15-20F in about 2 hours time.  

EURO has 850s down to +5C to +7C this week... “shot across the bow of New England.”

9930E101-34A3-47BF-8436-25F0CCDB88E9.thumb.jpeg.5cda5c11a52a670bb7006892f3c0596b.jpeg

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

GFS trying to end the growing season for Alex. 
078E5DA1-9445-4C6C-AF1D-BC0806ED7222.png

Might ping my frost pocket if that were to verify.  Earliest frost so far is Sept. 1.
To me, "back is broken" means the 2-month stretch of 5-6 AN days for each BN is done.  Could still be 2:1 or 3:2, especially as the downward trek is slowly accelerating.  By month's end my average is 73/50 and 90% of such days are pure CoC. 

13 minutes ago, Cyclone-68 said:

Lots of great brew out there as many here have already pointed out. I find the good stuff goes down better and I have better results the next morning. Never been a better time to be a beer drinker 

I don't even drink beer anymore. Had one the other night (well barely one). Was probably the first in at least a few weeks. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I don't even drink beer anymore. Had one the other night (well barely one). Was probably the first in at least a few weeks. 

What is your drink of choice now?
It took me a while to really like it but a nice icy glass of bourbon helps but don’t get the cheap stuff. 

7 minutes ago, PowderBeard said:

Beautiful day to work outside and split wood for next winter. Damn Crohn's has probably taken 20 pounds off me this summer and I barely got through half a cord. Only 6-7x more needed  for 2021-2022. Looking forward to some thunder later after a jump in the pool.

Sorry about the Crohns, the wood workout is great 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PowderBeard said:

Beautiful day to work outside and split wood for next winter. Damn Crohn's has probably taken 20 pounds off me this summer and I barely got through half a cord. Only 6-7x more needed  for 2021-2022. Looking forward to some thunder later after a jump in the pool.

That’s a lot of wood!   We heat 70% wood 30% oil and I only need about 2 cords/yr.  House is 1500 sq/ft. 

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

I mean your bolder is almost exactly what is forecast for J.Spin and myself, across to Phin/Alex the next couple days.  

Theres definitely some regionalism going on, but like I posted our zone forecast has highs struggling to 69-73F the next couple days with lows in the 40s.  Identical to what you just referenced.  

We get that a lot this time of year, where sun goes behind the mtns and you can just tell you are about to lose 15-20F in about 2 hours time.  

EURO has 850s down to +5C to +7C this week... “shot across the bow of New England.”

If it's that obvious it's that obvious ...but, I also Just 'made up' the +7 850s - lol... 

I also like the pattern footprint to look it... too.  Something off about 610 dm heights anywhere -

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cyclone-68 said:

What is your drink of choice now?
It took me a while to really like it but a nice icy glass of bourbon helps but don’t get the cheap stuff. 

In terms of alcohol I don't really drink it anymore. I really did get into IPA's the past several years and loved trying many different kinds but I think IPA's are just too heavy for me now. I always feel like crap after having one. It kinda sucks. My preference would probably be like a margarita or something mixed like that. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

If it's that obvious it's that obvious ...but, I also Just 'made up' the +7 850s - lol... 

I also like the pattern footprint to look it... too.  Something off about 610 dm heights anywhere -

Ha yeah on the -7C but it’s probably about right. 

This week up north should be the first NNE shot across the bow where it’s partly sunny with sub-10C 850s for 2-3 days.  That’s sort of what I look for.  Not rain cooled air but legit air mass cooling from top down.  

Gradient for sure that by the time you get south of Dendrite it’s not as noticeable, if it is at all further south.  Seems right on schedule though for this climate, second half of August gets that first whiff of something over than heat/dews.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Thunder?

Should see some storms late tonight. Happy we live here. 

1 hour ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

That’s a lot of wood!   We heat 70% wood 30% oil and I only need about 2 cords/yr.  House is 1500 sq/ft. 

I'm trying for 100% wood this year. We were about 80/20 last year. Damn oil and electric combo is over 2k a winter to keep the 1500 square foot house in the low 60s. Learned the hard way the first winter. Since we will both be home this year I imagine the stove will be running 24/7. Ran through 2.5 cords last year just running it in the evening and overnight. Its a 20 year old Jotul so minimal secondary burns and a packed stove really only throws out heat for 5-6 hours. I have about 5 cords of oak and maple ready for this year. Always a battle trying to get ahead. Split my oak into toothpicks for quick trying and packing more in the stove. 

1 hour ago, MaineJayhawk said:

Thunder From Down Under?  Maybe he's going to a male revue show later

What can I say? I'm a sucker for the accents. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, PowderBeard said:

Should see some storms late tonight. Happy we live here. 

I'm trying for 100% wood this year. We were about 80/20 last year. Damn oil and electric combo is over 2k a winter to keep the 1500 square foot house in the low 60s. Learned the hard way the first winter. Since we will both be home this year I imagine the stove will be running 24/7. Ran through 2.5 cords last year just running it in the evening and overnight. Its a 20 year old Jotul so minimal secondary burns and a packed stove really only throws out heat for 5-6 hours. I have about 5 cords of oak and maple ready for this year. Always a battle trying to get ahead. Split my oak into toothpicks for quick trying and packing more in the stove. 

What can I say? I'm a sucker for the accents. 

Nothing has any storms East of W MA/ CT. Might get a shower though