• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
July 2020 General Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

I hope this is a good Monday morning! No severe thread today and not much for me to talk about for a few days.  IF anything occurs this afternoon in our NYC forum coverage area, probably restricted on our eastern edge, mainly New Haven County and plenty of doubt.

Looking ahead, actually might be a brief shower tomorrow-Tuesday beneath the cool pool 500MB trough with some instability wrapping southeast.  Then Thursday night (overnight) convection still seems plausible in WAA.

Looks pretty hot for a while Saturday-Wednesday of next week and with PWAT creeping up above 1.8 at times, maybe we'll have a boundary or two to spawn pockets of big convection?

Last night: lightning died in western NJ (as far as I can tell). One shower gust that I found, 26KT at KLGA ~949P (briefly PRESRR also).  And the digital rainfall is posted.. blue starts .48". So no 1" in our forum area...but there is the coverage... too much decay after midnight  which i didn't expect.

0B30E408-4E7B-42D3-BDB2-502BFD66CED2.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The next 8 days are averaging 82.5degs., or 4.5degs. AN.       The 8 days after this are averaging an unbelievable 89degs., or about 11degs. AN.

Month to date is  +2.8[78.8].          Should be about  +3.5[80.3] by the 21st.

74*(80%RH) at 6am, cirrus.         84% by 3pm.

• Thanks 1

So far the high temperature of the month at NYC and LGA is 96° and 95° at EWR. Latest model runs indicate that our next chance to go 95°+ is around the 20th. We’ll see if the models hold this day 6-10 forecast or back off again. The period around July 20th has been our warmest part of the month for 7 out of the last10 years.

Highest July temperature and date at EWR or LGA since 2010

7-21-19........100

7-1-18...........98

7-20-17.........98

7-23/25-16...99

7-19-15.........98

7-2-14...........96

7-18-13........101

7-18-12........104

7-22-11........108

7-6-10..........103

• Like 2

Humidity back 79/68 and partly sunny.  Looks less stormy today that initially expected.  Some clouds moving through as winds shift to SW.  Today again with enough sun and assume storms are more scattered, we should see places outside the damp park reach 90.  Tuesday (7/14) looks like a cooler version of Sunday but again temps near 90 before more onshore flow Wed - Thu.  Dry / sunny and temps on mid 80s both days. 

Friday toss up day where if winds go around to the SW the heat is on.  Starting Saturday (7/18) should see overall hot pattern beging (gfs seems too cool) and continue thru at least 7/25.  Potential in the period for strong heat 95 (+) especially towards 7/20.  ECm has 850s >16c  for the period and peaking at >20c around next mon/tue (7/20-21) Have to watch weakness undercutting the ridge  (season persistence) which looks anchored between the Plains and Mid West.  

• Like 3

Just now, Allsnow said:

Lol. Yep. Then come November we will go down to 12 degrees for two nights as we approach are 50/rainy season 

Yep big ol torch coming this winter after a cold November.     It'll be interesting to see if the usual suspects go cold and snowy for a 3rd yr in a row....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

8 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Yep big ol torch coming this winter after a cold November.     It'll be interesting to see if the usual suspects go cold and snowy for a 3rd yr in a row....

Who really knows...if anything the last few years  have humbled some that put out seasonal Outlooks. IMO the key factors for any winter are the PV and MJO. Unfortunately, those can change drastically from month to month. Last winter the PV got uber strong and locked the cold by the pole. We didn’t get any help from the strat and it turned into a nightmare for snow lovers. In 18-19 we got a SSW in January but it never coupled so we got a few day cold outbreak. It also didn’t help that the nino never showed Up the last two winters. We ended up with more of a Niña like pattern for February 19 and 20.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Who really knows...if anything the last few years  have humbled some that put out seasonal Outlooks. IMO the key factors for any winter are the PV and MJO. Unfortunately, those can change drastically from month to month. Last winter the PV got uber strong and locked the cold by the pole. We didn’t get any help from the strat and it turned into a nightmare for snow lovers. In 18-19 we got a SSW in January but it never coupled so we got a few day cold outbreak. It also didn’t help that the nino never showed Up the last two winters. We ended up with more of a Niña like pattern for February 19 and 20.

Yep, what looks great (or bad) in October and November doesn't always carry through to Dec-Mar.   Last few years seemed to have a development that came out of nowhere and wrecked our winter (last year the PV and also the warm water NE of australia which kept the MJO in 4-5-6)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Brian5671 said:

my area looked like Phoenix 6/24...since then we've had close to 9 inches of rain-looks like Ireland now.

Damn, 6" more than here ~30 miles north. My wettest period so far was 1.3" in a few hours late Saturday but I was only at ~1.7 before that.

37 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

October. We are going to get significant snow again in October and early frosts will doom the garden in September. Then it will be 65° t shirt riding weather on Xmas eve again.

6 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Damn, 6" more than here ~30 miles north. My wettest period so far was 1.3" in a few hours late Saturday but I was only at ~1.7 before that.

October. We are going to get significant snow again in October and early frosts will doom the garden in September. Then it will be 65° t shirt riding weather on Xmas eve again.

We had that 4 incher on 7/3, that inflated our totals

• Thanks 1