• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    anathema
    Newest Member
    anathema

June Discussion

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

You gonna root for hot and dry or cool and wet?  

Going to be hard to pick heat over water.

A21905AB-58D1-44DC-8380-96DCAE92970A.thumb.png.7589efc2a91fe3b8a75ec0da60a01001.png

I remember the last two ULL did that on a few op runs and people freaked out Mem day weekend would be wet and cold. Then the same thing happened with the one two weeks ago. Until the ensembles show something like that and/or it actually is under 24 hours out.. hard hard sell

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

I remember the last two ULL did that on a few op runs and people freaked out Mem day weekend would be wet and cold. Then the same thing happened with the one two weeks ago. Until the ensembles show something like that and/or it actually is under 24 hours out.. hard hard sell

Yep-dry begets dry-I will believe any rain when I see it. 

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Well if we cutoff get it north for warmer winds and moisture. We don’t need that off NJ.

EPS has it in CNE 

11 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

EPS has it in CNE 

Not sure if even gets that far south on EPS....maybe by the time it is elongated.

Monday through Wednesday...

Upper trough will be across the northeast early next week. It should
be warm again on Mon with many locations reaching well up into the
80s, but turning a bit cooler Tue/Wed especially on the coast with
onshore flow. While the majority of the time will feature dry
weather, shortwave energy/cold pool aloft may allow for a few
showers/t-storms at times.

55 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

So where is best shot of sunshine this weekend 

the side of the Earth facing the sun 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

doesn't look like any rain coming. what happened to the storms? the small cell currently looks to be scooting around us.:rolleyes:

Has looked like garbage outside of VT and NNE for days.

37 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

the side of the Earth facing the sun 

The Earth rotates at 1000mph, yet we only notice by where the sun, moon and stars are in the sky.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dryslot said:

I see cells firing over the lakes region and on that trajectory its usually good here as long as we don't get 7-10'd, We shall see.

Nailed it.....:(

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

You gonna root for hot and dry or cool and wet?  

Going to be hard to pick heat over water.

A21905AB-58D1-44DC-8380-96DCAE92970A.thumb.png.7589efc2a91fe3b8a75ec0da60a01001.png

I vote rain.

14 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

The Earth rotates at 1000mph, yet we only notice by where the sun, moon and stars are in the sky.  

Huge if true

83/70.........steamy

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Today is done in CT. Sunny dry hot afternoon in progress . Front passed around noon 

4 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I had posted everything formed East . I still don’t understand how you guys didn’t see that. We were discussing the record of no rain days at BDL, not what was falling in far eastern CT

I misunderstood.  I thought CT meant CT.

Really nice evening...81/61 after .18"

• Haha 1

Here comes the water issues. Unprecedented increase in water consumption around here.

As a result of the protracted hot and dry weather conditions, and more residents being home due to the COVID-19 pandemic, over the past few days alone, the RWA has seen an unprecedented increase in water use and is urging its customers to use water wisely. This has caused some residents to experience intermittent discolored water. The RWA has also received reports of fire hydrants being opened illegally, we ask that people not open hydrants, as it can be dangerous and contribute to temporarily discolored water.

3 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

Hey--here's a really dumb question on my part.  One of many.

What causes the size of raindrops to differ?

I always thought it was because they coalesce by colliding with each other making larger drops from small drops and figured it had something to do with the weight of the rain drop and the strength of the updraft (it needs to get big/heavy enough to actually fall to the ground).

This high speed camera sequence of a rain drop falling and breaking apart into various sized drops is also interesting.

JAAPWEq6toUjUaBf7CDmGm-650-80.jpg

Fragmentation of a 5 millimeters in diameter drop falling by its own weight relative to an ascending stream of air. The overall sequence lasts for 60 milliseconds. This process is responsible for the formation of the raindrops which wet the ground.
(Image: © Emmanuel Villermaux)

17 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I always thought it was because they coalesce by colliding with each other making larger drops from small drops and figured it had something to do with the weight of the rain drop and the strength of the updraft (it needs to get big/heavy enough to actually fall to the ground).

This high speed camera sequence of a rain drop falling and breaking apart into various sized drops is also interesting.

JAAPWEq6toUjUaBf7CDmGm-650-80.jpg

Fragmentation of a 5 millimeters in diameter drop falling by its own weight relative to an ascending stream of air. The overall sequence lasts for 60 milliseconds. This process is responsible for the formation of the raindrops which wet the ground.
(Image: © Emmanuel Villermaux)

That's pretty neat.  I think for the bolded, he could have just said 'responsible for the splat'.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1