Newest Member
    SnowHabit
May 8-9 mid-spring rain, snow, cold, wind obs

CT Valley Snowman

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Jesus christ...+SN BLSN and howling wind. Down to the current low of 29.9F

W T F

It's like deep winter

I think the mid day cold is even more impressive than the snow.  The flowering trees and trees in leave are taking a hit with temps below freezing and strong winds.  Luckily we had a cold April so things are not that far along

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, alex said:

It's not warming up at all. Kinda wild to have icicles from the roof in May in the middle of the day

99DBD88F-23EB-472D-BC55-CE0A25E11DF0.jpeg

Cool!  IMO, 6"+ icicles on May 9 is more rare that 6" of snow in May.

Finished with 3.2", with the 1.2" after 7 AM only 0.07" LE - 17:1 snow in May.  If the Farmington co-op git as much as here, it would be their biggest May snowfall in 57 years and 4th biggest ever measured, POR 127 years.  If the changeover to snow had occurred at 10 PM instead of 2-3 AM, we'd probably have had closer to 5", but still the biggest May snowfall I've seen.

10 minutes ago, alex said:

That's depressing... But true! And just over 3 months to the first frost. Such a short summer!

Alex,  maybe you over did it moving north from Boston to find a snow lovers spot.  I'll give you a couple of years and you will be talking about moving to Florida

I have frickin icicles forming too.  May sun is melting snow on the roof but air has been below freezing.  Warming up now  33F

Last time NYC had a sub-40 temp in May was 1978.  Last time they had 34° as late as 5/9 was...never, at least not since Central Park began keeping records in 1869.

Still flakes in the air (and not just from the trees dumping) but accum is done unless we get a squall later.  WCI's about 20 (teens in Aroostook) - happy May! 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Last time NYC had a sub-40 temp in May was 1978.  Last time they had 34° as late as 5/9 was...never, at least not since Central Park began keeping records in 1869.

Still flakes in the air (and not just from the trees dumping) but accum is done unless we get a squall later.  WCI's about 20 (teens in Aroostook) - happy May! 

7 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Damn--crushed 12" in ENY.   I think ALY had 1-2" forecast there. Getting a foot when NWS call is for 1-2"--epic positive bust

12" at 1,300ft

8.0" at 760ft

That fits nicely and my brain likes nice fitting obs, ha.  Good call on the low level NW winds through the *entire* event.  I thought there was some SE flow early but nope, it was all NW.  The craziest part is that 3-4 town zone around Bennington there, seem to get shafted in a large percentage of memorable storms (you can find them on the model mins usually).... its awesome that they got probably their biggest positive bust in May.

Definitely the jackpot there along the NY/VT border and the two neighboring counties of Washington and Bennington.

Just now, dendrite said:

Vaporized.

Ha!  I think we've had enough clouds to keep snow on the trees but the grass looks the greenest it's looked yet this spring.  Little snow fertilizer.

Funny to have green lawn and 1-2" on all the bushes and evergreens.  Very odd look.  I give it another hour till that falls too.

Just now, powderfreak said:

Ha!  I think we've had enough clouds to keep snow on the trees but the grass looks the greenest it's looked yet this spring.  Little snow fertilizer.

Funny to have green lawn and 1-2" on all the bushes and evergreens.  Very odd look.  I give it another hour till that falls too.

I still don't understand the snow = fert concept. My lawn was pretty green yesterday.

Even the majority of the rain that falls this time of year starts in the clouds as snow. If it's a nitrogen thing, it shouldn't matter if the condensation nuclei reach the ground as snow or as rain.

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

12" at 1,300ft

8.0" at 760ft

That fits nicely and my brain likes nice fitting obs, ha.  Good call on the low level NW winds through the *entire* event.  I thought there was some SE flow early but nope, it was all NW.  The craziest part is that 3-4 town zone around Bennington there, seem to get shafted in a large percentage of memorable storms (you can find them on the model mins usually).... its awesome that they got probably their biggest positive bust in May.

Definitely the jackpot there along the NY/VT border and the two neighboring counties of Washington and Bennington.

Deformed and blocked. Pretty cool. Even prior to winds turning NW they were W to SW. Definitely no downslope. 

Just now, dendrite said:

I still don't understand the snow = fert concept. My lawn was pretty green yesterday.

Even the majority of the rain that falls this time of year starts in the clouds as snow. If it's a nitrogen thing, it shouldn't matter if the condensation nuclei reach the ground as snow or as rain.

Oh I wasn't being serious.  Is that a real thing?  Its all just water that falls from the sky.