Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May 8-9 mid-spring rain, snow, cold, wind obs

CT Valley Snowman

9 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I still don't understand the snow = fert concept. My lawn was pretty green yesterday.

Even the majority of the rain that falls this time of year starts in the clouds as snow. If it's a nitrogen thing, it shouldn't matter if the condensation nuclei reach the ground as snow or as rain.

If snow covers the lawn for a couple of days and then melts, once you see it again it has grown two days longer?

8 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Deformed and blocked. Pretty cool. Even prior to winds turning NW they were W to SW. Definitely no downslope. 

The reported snow accumulation map BTV put out is pretty telling in those meso-scale details.

There was the larger mid-level fronto that went from NY State, up through Central/Eastern VT and into Northern New Hampshire.  But within that fronto band, the two really enhanced areas are areas that would do well on blocked NW flow... upstream of the southern Greens high country and then again upstream of the Whites.

So there's this general 2-6" snowfall within that better mid-level frontogenesis but underneath that two areas really looked to get lit up from blocked NW flow under that mid-level lift.

That same set-up sort of shafted us in the RT 100 corridor up here at 0.5-2.0" from Jay Peak down to almost Sugarbush on this east side, as we were too far NW for the meat of the frontogensis but since we are east slope and the flow was blocked, we also missed out on an assist from that last night.

96692291_3747235278681679_86739510242574

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

The reported snow accumulation map BTV put out is pretty telling in those meso-scale details.

There was the larger mid-level fronto that went from NY State, up through Central/Eastern VT and into Northern New Hampshire.  But within that fronto band, the two really enhanced areas are areas that would do well on blocked NW flow... upstream of the southern Greens high country and then again upstream of the Whites.

So there's this general 2-6" snowfall within that better mid-level frontogenesis but underneath that two areas really looked to get lit up from blocked NW flow under that mid-level lift.

96692291_3747235278681679_86739510242574

Probably helped that the airmass was a bit warmer and held more moisture than typical arctic air masses. So you get that flow and block it, and much more moisture to squeeze out. It wouldn’t take much to get into the DGZ either in this airmass.

30 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

12" at 1,300ft

8.0" at 760ft

That fits nicely and my brain likes nice fitting obs, ha.  Good call on the low level NW winds through the *entire* event.  I thought there was some SE flow early but nope, it was all NW.  The craziest part is that 3-4 town zone around Bennington there, seem to get shafted in a large percentage of memorable storms (you can find them on the model mins usually).... its awesome that they got probably their biggest positive bust in May.

Definitely the jackpot there along the NY/VT border and the two neighboring counties of Washington and Bennington.

Like Coastal mentioned, looks like they lucked out getting the deform with upslope combo.  But your right, most "normal" synoptic snow events with E/Se flow Bennington VT over into Cambrige NY struggle and normally end up with lower totals. But they do sneak in some good events with blocked flow upslope.  In that big NOV 2016 upslope event Shaftsbury  VT had 16-20"  IIRC, I had I think 8"-9"

3 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Got 10 days worth of groceries for 5 (4 adults 1 teen) by 8:30.  No lines.  No muss. No fuss.  Nice squall when I came out.  The wind is strong

(I'd cross-quote to the other thread, but not sure how to.)

Cripes... Our bill for two adults and a hungry kindergartner is about $400 a week.  Can't imagine how much yours is...

3 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah he’s trying to move the goalposts based on some moron media members playing up a historic snowstorm angle. 

He’s totally ignoring the airmass part now. He will likely try and claim that when it hits mid-40s for a high, that the same thing happened last year even though it was onshore flow and sheet drizzle (and will ignore the low temps). 

I can definitely vouch for this airmass, even on the far west end of the arctic lobe here in the NW suburbs of Chicago. Temps were only in the low 40s yesterday afternoon with nearly full sunshine. Didn’t quite set a record low max, but it’s nearly impossible to be that cold in peak heating around here on May 8th unless complete cloud cover and/or heavy rain is occurring. Temps that low with an early August sun angle speaks to the insanely cold airmass for the time of year. Normal high is 68.

A few spots in N IL dropped to the mid 20s this morning, probably close to all time late season cold...but there aren’t many long lasting PORs besides ORD and RFD, which only dropped to 31 and 29 respectively due to UHI influences. 

18 minutes ago, LSC97wxnut said:

(I'd cross-quote to the other thread, but not sure how to.)

Cripes... Our bill for two adults and a hungry kindergartner is about $400 a week.  Can't imagine how much yours is...

What the heck are you eating?   Today was around $260 and I bought some fancy Mickey Bars.       

3 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

What the heck are you eating?   Today was around $260 and I bought some fancy Mickey Bars.       

Maybe he shops at whole paycheck? I’ve seen some hefty bills there. 

But yeah, I’ve been going every 7-10 days and it’s comes out to around 150-200. You can tack on another 25 for a produce pickup we do at a food distributor every week. Those are actually pretty cool...they have all this extra inventory they usually ship to restaurants but obviously aren’t doing much of that right now. So you can order boxes for 25 bucks that have a ton of produce. Def would cost 40-50 at a supermarket. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Just had some flurries move through. Didn’t matter that the temp was 40F. Straight flakes falling into that faux sfc warmth. 

Just slightly below average right?

Nothing like bouncing around between 30F and 33F at midday with snow showers at only 750ft of elevation in New England on May 9th.  I don't think it can be understated how obscene it is to drop to 30F when snow showers roll through down here in the valley at 1pm the 2nd week of May.

Plenty of mid-winter days that look like this screenshot.  So today is really just like a mild January day.

MVL_May9.jpg.22dc2f7646feb46b1bb686c1ca9d0855.jpg

11 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

All the grocery stores have jacked their prices, We spend well north of $300/wk now where we were always around $250/wk and thats without buying toilet tissue..........:cry: And meat prices are off the charts.

2 minutes ago, alex said:

Brightening up. Looks like 6.5" will be our final tally. Temp up to 30.7/20.3

We just had a nice squall.  Wind gusted to 35mph.  Quick drop of vis to 1/4"  and temp drop fro 36.3F to 32F  then full sun.   32.0F at 130pm which is about the higest the sun gets in the sky is super impressive for May 9th.  Also noted Mount Washington is 9F with 75mph and snow at this hour.   Wow

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah had decent sun but even behind the clouds it drops to 41-42. That’s stupid here on the coast this time of year when no precip. 

Nah, you had a high of 45 last year on east winds with sheet drizzle. It’s the same thing. Annual occurrence. 

• Haha 1