Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May 8-9 mid-spring rain, snow, cold, wind obs

CT Valley Snowman

21 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

It's snowing here as well, not graupel or mixed r/s or mangled flakes, light snow and flurries. And it's 44F. About the warmest i've ever seen snow. I think i've seen it closer to 50F before but i cant confirm the exact temp.

Same here a little while ago. Had some impressive squall like snows this morning too. For mid May, damn impressive. 

2 minutes ago, White Rain said:

Thanks, it will be nice to get some warmer weather after this. But if its going to be cold,  glad its snow vs rain for sure. Interesting weather day.

Ha, was just thinking that. Sheet drizzle is the worst so I’ll take some snow and sun.

6 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

How high up does the slight inversion or wind shift need to occur for blocked flow? I didn’t see anything much below 700mb that screamed block flow.

Typically 850 to 900 mb, but I've seen blocked or slightly blocked flow occur if there's more of a northerly component to the wind in the low levels or weaker westerly flow without much evidence of an inversion. The stronger the cross barrier component of the wind and, of course, the lower the stability, the higher the Froude number will be. 

Looking back on it in more detail, there was likely some synoptic forcing mechanism that was enhanced by upslope behind those totals as opposed to just pure upslope. Many of these backside events are wrap around comma heads with NW flow, but the maxes with this one seemed a bit further west than usual. Shaftsbury, VT (10.5") and Cambridge, NY (12") are not typically spots that jackpot in these setups. Usually it's a bit to the east near the crest of the spine. How much of this was the result of synoptics vs. upslope is difficult to pin down and would make for a good case study subject.

I measured 7.5-8" in Woodford at 10 AM, so the 8.5" report from 7:30 AM is legit. Even the east side of Bennington at 900' had 6-7". I finished with 5.0", but the Deerfield Valley towns just to my east had less than an inch. Very sharp gradients that were not as dependent on elevation as I would've anticipated. 

37 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Tree just fell on daughters best friends car . That’s a main road from Tolland up to Stafford 

Holy shit!  Hope they were ok.  That has to be terrifying.

Also noticed the State Trooper is the only one with a mask on...those guys don’t fuk around, they are all business.

Even had snow showers here in Branford right on the water this afternoon. Had ice on the deck this morning and it looks like my hydrangeas and some other stuff got wiped out. Plants have been really early here this year.  

21 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Holy shit!  Hope they were ok.  That has to be terrifying.

Also noticed the State Trooper is the only one with a mask on...those guys don’t fuk around, they are all business.

I just noticed that. And short sleeves in upper 30’s with ripping wind. There’s a barracks here in town. All those cops you see pulling over NY/NJ folks between Tolland and Union are from there. They love pulling them over . Don’t have our own  PD

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I just noticed that. And short sleeves in upper 30’s with ripping wind. There’s a barracks here in town. All those cops you see pulling over NY/NJ folks between Tolland and Union are from there. They love pulling them over . Don’t have our own  PD

Tolland doesn’t have a PD?