• Member Statistics

    15,889
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    bmoremdwx
    Newest Member
    bmoremdwx
    Joined
Hoosier

May 2020 Discussion

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, iluvsnow said:

The knife twist continues by mother nature. She says...."snow weenies take this pattern for May 9th....'cause you won't see it in January"

ecmwf_T850a_us_8.png

That's a crazy look.  Could be the largest cold departures since November. Of course when we have a look in January its usually cold and dry outside of Lake effect.

  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, michsnowfreak said:

That's a crazy look.  Could be the largest cold departures since November. Of course when we have a look in January its usually cold and dry outside of Lake effect.

Its garbage and could be destructive if cold enough at night. I don't want any novelty snowflakes after hitting 80 today.

  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2020 at 10:19 AM, nwohweather said:

I feel for you guys

Being in the deep south, now you get it. :lol:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The medium/long range maps are just absurd for this time of year.  It could damn near pass for a winter pattern at times.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

Looking at the Euro makes me glad i've held off planting the victory garden. Wife always insists on waiting until May 15th, this year she is going to be right.

Early planting is usually kind of a waste of time anyway.  Nothing really takes off until we start getting the warm/humid nights consistently, which is usually June.  Everything explodes in growth then, so if you planted something late it would usually catch up to whatever was planted early/successfully anyway.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Spartman said:

First 80-degree day of the year today as temps overperformed to reach 83. Likely the warmest we'll get for this month unless things approve during the second half of this month as what Crankyweatherguy has been suggesting. 

 

Second half of May (roughly from the 14th through Memorial Day) has the sub firmly in the heat and juice with several rounds of strong storms. Kinda funny, it shows highs in the 40’s and 50’s for most of us, then on the 15th, we just flip the switch to 80’s lol. Typical. But don’t get too excited, the eastern trough comes back in by the beginning of June similar to the first half of May, but thats to chew the fat on when that next bout of “why the **** do I live here again?” Comes in. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, cyclone77 said:

Early planting is usually kind of a waste of time anyway.  Nothing really takes off until we start getting the warm/humid nights consistently, which is usually June.  Everything explodes in growth then, so if you planted something late it would usually catch up to whatever was planted early/successfully anyway.

Very true, I definitely get antsy once the annuals start popping up and trees begin to leaf out. Plus it seems lately the growing season has extended well into October/early November for certain plants.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Early planting is usually kind of a waste of time anyway.  Nothing really takes off until we start getting the warm/humid nights consistently, which is usually June.  Everything explodes in growth then, so if you planted something late it would usually catch up to whatever was planted early/successfully anyway.

If you have a lot of annuals to plant, like me, it's nice to be able to start chipping away at the planting chore.  It's annoying having to haul a bunch of plants in and out of the garage, and in and out of the sun (trying to harden them off), every day.  With the upcoming cold it will be another 1-2 weeks before I can even start planting the in-ground stuff.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Kitchener poster said:

Words just can’t do it justice how bad our shoulder seasons have been. April and early May in 2019 sucked. Mid-late October into November sucked. And now this spring has been record cold. 

There have been two major relative warmth periods this spring. End of March towards towards the east coast, and another more recent one to our west. We (GTA) haven’t cashed in yet. 

As another poster mentioned. Today was supposed to be our day. But instead it’s nothing but a cloud deck and brief rain spurts. 

 

All of spring 2019 (Mar-May) into early June sucked lol. I find this is nature's way of balancing things out. Let's not forget all the record warm May's from 2010-2016 and 2018. A string of cold May's was inevitable. 

Well I hope you can get out today. It's finally 20C (70F). The next two weeks will likely stay below 70F. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Snowstorms said:

All of spring 2019 (Mar-May) into early June sucked lol. I find this is nature's way of balancing things out. Let's not forget all the record warm May's from 2010-2016 and 2018. A string of cold May's was inevitable. 

Well I hope you can get out today. It's finally 20C (70F). The next two weeks will likely stay below 70F. 

Even May of 2018 was preceded by a very cold April. One thing I have noticed the past decade, with a few certain exceptions, is that it seems that the leaves are falling a bit later in the fall and opening up a bit later in the Spring. Not by much, but the little things I used to always use were Halloween as the date when most of the trees were all bare and May 1st is when everything used to be very green with all the new lime green leaves having recently opened. Now, while we still peak in color in late October, we have the last of the color straggling on until mid November. Likewise, the buds start in April but May has been beginning with basically bare landscape, with rapidly blossoming during the first and sometimes second week of May (ongoing as we speak the last 2 days).

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A forecaster at IWX mentioned today that he had to pull rain/snow from the grids. Yes, we've seen snow in May, but it is unusual and unwanted. I'm going to have to rent a tent to cover all of the flowers and vegetables in my back yard. When I saw what the models were pumping out a few days ago, I blew it off, figuring they would come to their senses, so I worked my butt off getting everything in the ground.  It now looks like that may have been a mistake.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

A forecaster at IWX mentioned today that he had to pull rain/snow from the grids. Yes, we've seen snow in May, but it is unusual and unwanted. I'm going to have to rent a tent to cover all of the flowers and vegetables in my back yard. When I saw what the models were pumping out a few days ago, I blew it off, figuring they would come to their senses, so I worked my butt off getting everything in the ground.  It now looks like that may have been a mistake.

We might as well get a snow system to make something historic out of this.  Don't think we've ever had a May snow thread.  :devilsmiley:

  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

We might as well get a snow system to make something historic out of this.  Don't think we've ever had a May snow thread.  :devilsmiley:

No please god no.

  • Weenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Stebo said:

No please god no.

I think were going to see a May snow thread lol. Some of me wants something historic only because if its going to be so cold lets see a 1-3" widespread snow with it where its something talked about for years. 

  • Weenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd give it better than 50/50 odds that it snows somewhere south of I-80 in this pattern.  Farther north too but getting it south of I-80 would really be impressive.

  • Like 2
  • Weenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mississaugasnow said:

I think were going to see a May snow thread lol. Some of me wants something historic only because if its going to be so cold lets see a 1-3" widespread snow with it where its something talked about for years. 

The conversation will be for many “I got tired of living in an area where winter lasts 6 months, came to my senses and moved south.”

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cyclone77 said:

It's gonna be in the 40s all day Tue with rain.  It might as well be snowing lol.

You live in Erie, IL right ? NWS has you at 54 on Tues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Snownado said:

You live in Erie, IL right ? NWS has you at 54 on Tues.

Unless something changes on the models that will bust.  Could spend most of the day in the mid 40s with cold rain falling.  Maybe we can sneak in a 50 reading early in the day before the steadier rains move in.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It pains me to type this out, but.....

Going back to 1880, there isn't much in the way of May snow at Detroit. Out of the 140 May's, only 8 have recorded at least 0.1" of snow. The most recent instance of accumulating snow in May in Detroit was 0.1" on 5/3/2005. The other May's that had accumulating snow were 1954 (0.1"), 1923 (6.0"), 1912 (1.5"), 1909 (0.4"), 1907 (0.2"), 1902 (0.5"), and 1883 (5.0"). May 1923's 6.0" all came from one storm on the 9th. May 1883's 5.0" incredibly came on the 21st into the 22nd. The rest of those months had 1.5" or less. Will DTW get accumulating snow this month? It's certainly possible with this pattern. If the airport does, then it would put this month into some very rare air.

F this upcoming pattern though. It was beautiful this weekend. :cliff:

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Hoosier said:

We might as well get a snow system to make something historic out of this.  Don't think we've ever had a May snow thread.  :devilsmiley:

agree

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.