Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

5 hours ago, snowstormcanuck said:

How does that make the U.S. more to the left?  By funneling the money through E.I. and other indirect programs, it's a way for the government to means/needs test it.  Otherwise, potentially, you'd get wealthier people who don't need the money getting gov't assistance.

The US is skipping that and giving it to every citizen. The Bill is stuck in the Senate but most indications are most Americans are going to get 1 Thousand. Depending how long it goes for they are almost experimenting on a large scale with Universal Basic Income. 

Lots of people that haven't lost their jobs have indicated they will donate the money but will be interesting to see. 

I believe this 1 thousand will be different from EI and other indirect programs they are doing as well. I might be wrong on that though. 

[mention=3997]RCNYILWX[/mention] I think it is important to recognize that China is not an evil and monolithic orwellian total state with iron control over an antlike brainwashed populace; geopolitically it’s a modern state-capitalist superpower with a strong centralized government that has foreign, domestic, and economic policy priorities different to those of the USA. Those priorities don’t rate some individual rights as highly, and do rate some collective rights more highly.  Nonetheless the level of active surveillance power & coercive intrusion the central government can apply is probably less than the DDR had at its height and likely less than the USA can apply to you or me if it thinks we’re a national security threat
If I wanted to round up a dozen candid accounts & frank opinions from Chinese nationals all I’d have to do is just ask a bunch of friends and I’d probably get answers within a day
'Not an evil and monolithic orwellian total state'? Ask the 1 million Uighurs in concentration camps what they think about that statement. Don't fall for the propaganda:
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/03/china-coronavirus-blame-victory-propaganda-trump.html

I won't further belabor this point but please don't equivocate between us and their government and don't say nice things about a regime that's the descendant of ones that murdered millions upon millions of its people and still 'disappears' critics, including some whistleblowers of their handling of the coronavirus outbreak.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Jackstraw said:

US hit 100 deaths in 24 hours for the first time. 

More concerned about the "death rate" of confirmed cases. That thankfully has flat-lined at 1.3% in the US, meaning the odds are still vastly in favor of survival. IF the DR was really taking off, then I'd be a lot more concerned. As is, these current totals, while still early, give us some hope. As others have posted, I'm at least as concerned about the net effects to the economy. I'm fortunate to be employed in the food service sector and have Work Authorization papers if I need to travel into my place of employ. But here in the Mitt, over 108K applied for UIA benefits last week, a 2100% increase from a typical week in the prior robust economy. Hoping this doesn't go on too long for the sake of those hit hardest. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 3

15 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

More concerned about the "death rate" of confirmed cases. That thankfully has flat-lined at 1.3% in the US, meaning the odds are still vastly in favor of survival. IF the DR was really taking off, then I'd be a lot more concerned. As is, these current totals, while still early, give us some hope. As others have posted, I'm at least as concerned about the net effects to the economy. I'm fortunate to be employed in the food service sector and have Work Authorization papers if I need to travel into my place of employ. But here in the Mitt, over 108K applied for UIA benefits last week, a 2100% increase from a typical week in the prior robust economy. Hoping this doesn't go on too long for the sake of those hit hardest. 

1.3% is correct with ample wide spread medical equipment. Flood the system, to the point 1 in 20 can be properly provided medical services. These early numbers are not sustainable.

The economy is in self destruct mode now...

Per my Congressman's newsletter

The National Institutes of Health has begun the first vaccine trial and results will be examined over the course of the next few weeks.  Researchers at the University of Minnesota are examining the impact of both a malaria treatment drug and also a blood pressure drug to see if they are effective in stopping the replication or successful binding of coronavirus cells. Patient trials are underway for these medications as well. Due to the removal of red-tape by the Administration, these medical trials are moving at a fast pace.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 3

1 hour ago, DAFF said:

1.3% is correct with ample wide spread medical equipment. Flood the system, to the point 1 in 20 can be properly provided medical services. These early numbers are not sustainable.

The economy is in self destruct mode now...

Can always play the "what if" game, but I'm choosing to remain optimistic. Just because a storm hits mby with intensity, doesn't mean it maintains that same intensity all the way to yby. Similarly, just because other places around the globe have been hit hard with this virus does not mean it automatically will here as well. And if it did, I'd hope the medical service outlets (hospitals, etc) would figure out a way to send supply reinforcements to the front lines where the battle rages the worst. Hospitals with few or no severe cases could lend their respirators and such to hospitals that find themselves with a shortage of such. Even if the govt had to mandate this, it seems like a reasonable option imho. Look at MI, 14 of 15 deaths in Metro Detroit. Quite a concentrated event so far and with this isolation effort I'll be surprised if that somehow reverses and takes off like a wildfire raging out of control across the countryside. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

Can always play the "what if" game, but I'm choosing to remain optimistic. Just because a storm hits mby with intensity, doesn't mean it maintains that same intensity all the way to yby. Similarly, just because other places around the globe have been hit hard with this virus does not mean it automatically will here as well. And if it did, I'd hope the medical service outlets (hospitals, etc) would figure out a way to send supply reinforcements to the front lines where the battle rages the worst. Hospitals with few or no severe cases could lend their respirators and such to hospitals that find themselves with a shortage of such. Even if the govt had to mandate this, it seems like a reasonable option imho. Look at MI, 14 of 15 deaths in Metro Detroit. Quite a concentrated event so far and with this isolation effort I'll be surprised if that somehow reverses and takes off like a wildfire raging out of control across the countryside. 

Good reminder of that's what all the social distancing policies, closings, cancellations, stay home orders, etc are for.

• Like 1

The way you know that the testing still sucks here in Indiana is that if you just take the number of deaths divided by number of confirmed cases, it comes out to 3.3% of people who have died.  Well above the current national number.  This is before a big crush of people showing up to the hospitals and draining resources.  I provided my anecdotal story about my sister's friend but it has also been publicly reported in the media about how the criteria to get tested here is still pretty high.  If you are young/otherwise healthy with symptoms of covid-19, you're most likely not getting a test.  Who knows how many mild-moderate cases are out there.

• Like 3

Guest ovweather

Someone in the Louisville area contracted Covid after attending a coronavirus party. I have no clue what a coronavirus party is, but I guess consider it another example of stupid, irresponsible human behavior.

5 minutes ago, KokomoWX said:

Modern day pox party - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pox_party

I had adult Chicken Pox when I was 19. Thought I was gonna die. Was quarantined for weeks and had to be snuck into my doctor's office through the back door. Had so many pox on my head/face my own mother was aghast to see me. Guess I've survived a few things in life that were anything but a cake walk. What don't kill ya makes one stronger as they say..

1 hour ago, RogueWaves said:

I had adult Chicken Pox when I was 19. Thought I was gonna die. Was quarantined for weeks and had to be snuck into my doctor's office through the back door. Had so many pox on my head/face my own mother was aghast to see me. Guess I've survived a few things in life that were anything but a cake walk. What don't kill ya makes one stronger as they say..

I had shingles, which is considered a remanifestation of chicken pox, and it was pretty bad.  Got it at 21, and all you notice throughout the time is constant nerve ends poking at you.  Thank goodness it was only a week or two of that (during summer break so it did not affect school at all).

• Like 1

Just reading and listening to people locally its clear the most are currently using the "i heard from a friends mothers cousin" method of getting information about what is happening.  The amount of rumor, sensationalism, and flat out lies being spread around right now is just ridiculous and only causes more stress and anxiety for an already worn out population.  

So far my county hasn't had a confirmed case but lets face it most places by now are probably going to have people infected even if they are not showing symptoms. My shop still working because we make parts for essential industries. Hours have been cut to 40hrs from nearly 60 the previous week however.  Im glad to be working yet to provide a distraction from the stuff above. 

• Like 1

Several new cases confirmed in neighboring towns this evening.  It's coming for us all.  

Local hospitals started letting staff go they are so quiet

If there is a surge there is plenty or room and staff ready to get back to work as well as millions of others

I know you aren’t a fan of this but people got to get back to work. They dropped the ball on this big time
  • Like 1
  • Weenie 3

2 hours ago, King James said:

If there is a surge there is plenty or room and staff ready to get back to work as well as millions of others

I know you aren’t a fan of this but people got to get back to work. They dropped the ball on this big time

Calling victory in the second quarter... 

We haven’t even had enough days of isolation to see if we have started to flatten the curve. This still has plenty of time to go full blown Italy, or New York for that matter. 

I get the sentiment. I have tenants who I am unsure I will get rent from. I have lost hundreds of thousands in the stock market. I am about to lose my shit working from home. But we need some more time and more data to ensure we are getting desired results.

My assumption is that we end up under a no travel order for longer than April 7th. You must be absolutely certain the curve is flattened before resuming normal activity, as there is still plenty of time for this to go tits up. 

“We overreacted” or “this was all for nothing” or “I went about my normal life and nothing happened” MEANS IT ****ING WORKED. We, as a society, have done well thus far (mostly). Let’s not screw it up now. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, King James said:

Hospital's are letting staff go?