Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Jan 8th, 2020 Coastal - little critter

Baroclinic Zone

5 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

light to moderate 12 miles NW of New Haven coating so far . 

Is your actual ob or something that was passed along?   I cannot find an airport visibility ob or a highway camera showing anything approaching moderate snowfall rates?  I-84 / I-95 cams showing very decent visibility?

7 minutes ago, FXWX said:

Is your actual ob or something that was passed along?   I cannot find an airport visibility ob or a highway camera showing anything approaching moderate snowfall rates?  I-84 / I-95 cams showing very decent visibility?

My observation it’s definitely steady light to moderate snow. Sticking to everything including roads. I’m about 6 miles SSE of OXC. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

My observation it’s definitely steady light to moderate snow. Sticking to everything including roads. I’m about 6 miles SSE of OXC. 

Ok... small, localized enhanced areas; just a bit to your north OXC showing 10 mi. vis... hope you pick up a solid cover; sfc temps not helping out in many places... thanks for ob

People love to report snow intensity, but usually it gets a bit overestimated. None of us have vis sensors so it's always just an educated guess. I think a lot of mod reports here are actually light and a lot of heavy are just moderate. Not accusing anyone of overestimating...just throwing it out there. I haven't looked at much down there.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, FXWX said:

Ok... small, localized enhanced areas; just a bit to your north OXC showing 10 mi. vis... hope you pick up a solid cover; sfc temps not helping out in many places... thanks for ob

I’m up at 550’ elevation it’s coming down good and sticking. Yes well it’s much lighter there as I’m between 20-25dbz and they are 10-15dbz. I’m in far SW Seymour. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dendrite said:

People love to report snow intensity, but usually it gets a bit overestimated. None of us have vis sensors so it's always just an educated guess. I think a lot of mod reports here are actually light and a lot of heavy are just moderate. Not accusing anyone of overestimating...just throwing it out there. I haven't looked at much down there.

You mean terms like pounding and ripping get overused? The hell you say.

• Haha 1

Just now, dendrite said:

Agreed.  I often think it’s moderate and then see the ASOS is like 1.25sm -SN.  I’ve definitely tuned down my estimates over the years.  

A 1-1.5sm light snow is a pretty darn steady snowfall that will accumulate pretty quick.  Even 2-3sm -SN can seem real steady with the right flakes. At night it’s impossible to tell anyway.  

I think “ripping” on here is used far too often for what is a steady 1-2 mile vis -SN.  

7 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

You mean terms like pounding and ripping get overused? The hell you say.

Ha you barely beat me to that one.  

Ripping and pounding as all ASOS are 1.5 miles...but it is a very steady snow.  I think folks think of moderate not in terms of visibility but just that it’s snowing hard enough to accumulate quickly on roads.  

Its almost like another scale from the human perspective (not visibility related)...

Light snow is flurries or non accumulating stuff. Moderate is when it’s steady enough to accumulate and heavy snow is like 0.5-1” per hour regardless of visibility (can often get up to 1” in an hour from 0.75 or 1.0 vis)

8 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Well I can truthfully and without any possible exaggeration say there are no flakes out here. HRRR says that may change about 3am, but right now, SNE is having all the fun. Enjoy!