• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
12/17 Messy Mix

40/70 Benchmark

@OceanStWx can correct me but i think they did away with the Freezing Rain & Ice Storm Warning products and lumped themp into WWA and WSW products. But this is the criteria nontheless. I think we are a candidate for this in the four southern counties of CT. Highly doubt they will be up this evening though. 

fzrawrng.thumb.jpg.e0b852f82daddf09d919dd03305b2761.jpg

• Thanks 1

I'd be surprised if anyone in CT saw a half inch of ice. There's definitely going to be some solid icing but you're prob not getting as much as the icing algorithms think. There's a pretty thick layer of below freezing air for a while....which tells me there's going to be some sleet in there that probably hangs on longer than ptype algorithms allow for...and then of course you have to lop off additional tenths because the accretion efficiency isn't going to have a 1 to 1 ratio (for every tenth of QPF that falls as ZR, prob like 0.06-0.07 will accrete, and that ratio falls during very heavy precip).....this is a heavy burst of precip that is prob done in 6-8 hours. Still, even a quarter to a third inch of ice is no slouch and could cause some issues.

Can't totally rule it out though....a SWFE on 1/8/05 gave a narrow band in CT a half inch of ice. But everything has to go perfect when you're talking a duration that short. Most siggy icing events are much longer.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, dryslot said:

You need lighter rates over a longer period for siggy accretion of ice or it just runs off, Have had plenty of experience with this, But .25" or slightly above will cause issues.

As I said earlier, if you are encasing snow covered branches with ice it could lead to problems when the wind kicks in. 

• Like 1

Just now, dryslot said:

You need lighter rates over a longer period for siggy accretion of ice or it just runs off, Have had plenty of experience with this.

Or you can do it with heavy rates....but it needs to be a deluge for hours....this is what happened in ORH county in the 2008 icestorm....we had like 2.5 inches of QPF that produced an inch and a quarter to an inch and a half of ice. But it took like 18 hours of pretty heavy rates to get there.

Granted, we prob got to half an inch of ice the prior evening after 10 hours or so, but we were wasting a ton of QPF with that runoff.

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I'd be surprised if anyone in CT saw a half inch of ice. There's definitely going to be some solid icing but you're prob not getting as much as the icing algorithms think. There's a pretty thick layer of below freezing air for a while....which tells me there's going to be some sleet in there that probably hangs on longer than ptype algorithms allow for...and then of course you have to lop off additional tenths because the accretion efficiency isn't going to have a 1 to 1 ratio (for every tenth of QPF that falls as ZR, prob like 0.06-0.07 will accrete, and that ratio falls during very heavy precip).....this is a heavy burst of precip that is prob done in 6-8 hours. Still, even a quarter to a third inch of ice is no slouch and could cause some issues.

Can't totally rule it out though....a SWFE on 1/8/05 gave a narrow band in CT a half inch of ice. But everything has to go perfect when you're talking a duration that short. Most siggy icing events are much longer.

BUFKIT is showing 12 full hours of ZR for HVN, ranging from .017 to .169/hr usually ranging around .060 per hour for a total of .805. Say we lose 30-40% of that due to run off. That's still .5" of total ice.

Precip is on the light side so that will help with accretion. Temps rangning from 27-32F. I don't think a widespread .5-.75 is likely but i think its in the cards, like you said if everything goes right. .25-.50 is not an unreasonable forecast thought for interior S CT.

Total snow before the flip is 3.7" on bufkit so well have a solid concrete pack for a while if that pans out.

• Like 1

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Or you can do it with heavy rates....but it needs to be a deluge for hours....this is what happened in ORH county in the 2008 icestorm....we had like 2.5 inches of QPF that produced an inch and a quarter to an inch and a half of ice. But it took like 18 hours of pretty heavy rates to get there.

Granted, we prob got to half an inch of ice the prior evening after 10 hours or so, but we were wasting a ton of QPF with that runoff.

That icestorm here in 1998 was over a two day period of mod/hvy at time rates with temps in the mid 20's, That was 2-3.0" accretion here and was devastating to say the least,

By Thursday, Jan. 8, hundreds of thousands of homes were without power. CMP estimated that 2 million to 3 million feet of power lines fell and 2,000 utility poles needed to be replaced, along with 5,250 transformers. Bangor Hydro-Electric Co. likewise was hit hard.

10 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

As I said earlier, if you are encasing snow covered branches with ice it could lead to problems when the wind kicks in. 

It’s going to be a problem tomorrow but more so  on Wed, as you mentioned. I have to remind myself to take the snow off my newly planted evergreens and shrubs...otherwise, the snow/ice/wind will destroy them.

2 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Updated forecast 

WOAH at the SPC outlook :o :o 

“environment will support risk for multiple significant tornadoes” 6236771E-F9CE-47E2-B89B-F5CFB2817B45.png.22fc52c2526fd4fb373f1a650a628c0f.png

Going big with the ice i see. I am likely bumping up the .1-.3 range to .25-.50, our zones are the same though. My biggest problem though is forecasting the shore, you think they dont see any ice accumulation at all? I dont think itll be as big as inland areas but still have up to a tenth or so..

4 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

BUFKIT is showing 12 full hours of ZR for HVN, ranging from .017 to .169/hr usually ranging around .060 per hour for a total of .805. Say we lose 30-40% of that due to run off. That's still .5" of total ice.

Precip is on the light side so that will help with accretion. Temps rangning from 27-32F. I don't think a widespread .5-.75 is likely but i think its in the cards, like you said if everything goes right. .25-.50 is not an unreasonable forecast thought for interior S CT.

Total snow before the flip is 3.7" on bufkit so well have a solid concrete pack for a while if that pans out.

Could see inland coastal CT getting up to .5, while those like me along the coast sit at 32.8F after a tenth of an inch or so of ice junk.