Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12/17 Messy Mix

40/70 Benchmark

3 hours ago, DomNH said:

I feel you on this. Our program was very, very heavy on the math and science and light on practical application. I think they've worked to change that a little bit since I graduated but I'm not sure how much. 

I was up at UML in 1990s. We had forecast games - and folks cared!  There was a national one, and many university students and faculty engaged in it. I'm not sure how it was maintained and networked. It was yet quite early in the Internet era but ... I think it was still done via nonetheless.  The local in-Lab game was fun and probably even a bit too stressful for our own goods, considering the curriculum of more science-based Met programs and all those rigorous course works. Lord knows, that was enough (thank god for grading exams on bell-curves!). Still...the diversion had it's need.

Do you know that our Senior year required deriving the Navier-Stokes equation, long hand, before allowing our escape with a degree?   Start with a baser thermodynamic and a baser fluid mechanics equation, and by the time they are fully integrated... one line becomes almost 7 pages long.

Which is why I formulated a mortgage-paying career in software engineering, and only hobby weather, instead ...And also science-fiction writing, ...etc. But point being, I realized along the way that actually working under a heading of Meteorologist is just a label.  You still 'know' how it works, and know how to forecast for having your experiences... Labels don't change who you are - the rest is just a form of immaturity and requiring the adulation of others ... if not some petty celebrity for a moment. Once one really connects with what all that means ...they can read the charts, figure for a bomb in 18 days, nail it... and no one ever knows they made that insight, because they didn't care to mention it. Their truth gone forever. And they could not be more okay with that, as there really is no loss in the first place.

'Sides... life really doesn't matter - oh, there are certainly things that matter to you, of course.  Once you get to middle age, an awareness gets harder to deny. Accolades seem to fade beneath the universal shadow cast by the reality: everything in reality is merely a human construct - including one's opus'.  All value systems and perceptions of self, or ego... even art, all of it.  Meaningless.  These are aspects that disappear...vanquished when the last point of light fades from awareness and the "soul" ( only for lack of better word) disperses to oblivion at the end. Not trying to be depressing here... "really" more like 'releasing' ... peace.  Once one really and truly connects with how meaningless they are, it's very liberating - it's like being in a walking talking DMT zone. Not to be confused with caring for your wife, or your kids, your siblings and best friends... giving a shit about community, and not wanting wars. Because...that'd be weird of course. We can appreciate splendor.  It's knowing that you are traversing a tapestry of reality - which is just another form of art.

• Thanks 1

I don't like how the NAM only has central/northern CT only in the upper 20's to around 30 for much of tomorrow. 

Also props to @JGNYK03 for pointing out the discrepancy with my initial ice forecast map from Saturday...definitely going to be a much larger (and more uniform) even close down to the coast. Going to correct that with an update later this morning...along with adding a 4-6'' stripe along the CT/MA border. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I could see a 4-6” swap across CCT before the ip/zr fest. 

That's certainly in my mind...though I am going to place that closer to the border...mlvls always seem to warm rather quick. I am a little concerned b/c if we see ice accretion pushing .4'' that's sticking the head right into the start of some trouble territory. 

3 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

That's certainly in my mind...though I am going to place that closer to the border...mlvls always seem to warm rather quick. I am a little concerned b/c if we see ice accretion pushing .4'' that's sticking the head right into the start of some trouble territory. 

The 4 northern counties as usual, agree. The ice is the bigger story. 

Just now, WxWatcher007 said:

Me too, but I think an upper end of 5” works here because pingers are never as far behind as one thinks down here. I’m hesitant to pull the trigger on a big icing forecast but I think it’s a legit mess.

I typically bump up the expected changeover by an hour or two from what models indicate. Yeah I'm not sure if this will be a big icing event...but we may straddle the line between issues and a bit more in the way of major issues (major issues being scattered power outages and some tree damage) 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I typically bump up the expected changeover by an hour or two from what models indicate. Yeah I'm not sure if this will be a big icing event...but we may straddle the line between issues and a bit more in the way of major issues (major issues being scattered power outages and some tree damage) 

Let’s not forget how dumb folks are thinking it’s rain when it’s zr so they drive like they normally do.

Borderline damaging ice still has major disruptions.

Speaking of making a call and not mentioning ... The NAM's tripling Logan's QPF in the FOUS grid comparing the 06z is classic behavior in short terms whenever you see PHL/LGA on that product with bigger numbers.  

Not always... I'm sure the famed PD storms of last century that move bombs due east of the mid Atlantic, and cirrus milked the Boston skies didn't do that, no. But, balancing in the synoptic evolution ..prior -6z run did not make sense having PHL/LGA be nearly an inch of QPF while Logan was paltry, because the trajectory of the former was an ascent in latitude.  Whenever I see that, I count on the 24 hour lead to go robust - ..here we are, boom.  .75 in snow with IP contam

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

The quebec sector did

Dec16_06zRGEM.gif

Yeah, I just looked quick but it defaults to North America so that as far as i went on there, Its had been the furthest south of all the models and still a ways out so i was not overly seeking it, I did go to pivotal though and saw it there.