Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12/17 Messy Mix

40/70 Benchmark

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I fully planned on a 3hr commute at worst. I had no choice, but to leave at 2 when shift ends. Who on Earth would think it takes 8+hrs for like 26 miles.

I walked home from Prudential Center to  Inman Square in Cambridge in just under an hour where as it took my neighbor 3+ hours to do the same commute in a vehicle.   I literally walked past three buses on the route I would normally take. 

9 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I've never done so for winter...but it's something I want to do. I really thought when I went back to school I could do a ton more with studying/research and the exact opposite happened...like I don't really think I have gained any additional (or very little) knowledge in winter wx or severe wx forecasting in the past 6-7 years. 

I'm sure some of the better schools go into some depth/detail on what you mentioned in the bold but not where I went...overall the program is pretty bad. Outside of the equations and atmospheric physics/chemistry (which is tremendous to know and understand and can be a great value when applied to understanding forecast models) I learned absolutely ZERO about forecasting while in school...absolutely nothing. If I never found this board back in 2007 and just went to school I would have little to no knowledge of how to forecast...outside of rip and reading MOS and just looking at the basics on models. 

In terms of forecast soundings we didn't do much with them...except look at a few examples from some random weather events in the 90's and just go over how to differentiate between Precip-types. 

I honestly get really pissed when I think about things b/c of how little I learned over the past 6-7 years. Between school and working 2-3 jobs I had zero time to do much in my own time. 

I feel you on this. Our program was very, very heavy on the math and science and light on practical application. I think they've worked to change that a little bit since I graduated but I'm not sure how much. 

• Like 1

Just now, weatherwiz said:

Just over the border into MA...pretty good looking. Looks like some nice lift around the DGZ as well. Maybe 1.5''/Hr? 

2019121612_NAMNST_023_42.22,-72.65_winte

Yeah this run showed maybe like 4-6" in about 6 hours. It's not a huge system, but it comes down pretty heavy for several hours at the peak.

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah this run showed maybe like 4-6" in about 6 hours. It's not a huge system, but it comes down pretty heavy for several hours at the peak.

It's a pretty good sign to see the front end lift here starting to emerge a bit more strongly on the models. You can actually see the isobars on the MSLP charts on the NAM really sort of tighten up and cluster closer together on the NAM...pretty good sign for heavier precip/lift

Just now, weatherwiz said:

It's a pretty good sign to see the front end lift here starting to emerge a bit more strongly on the models. You can actually see the isobars on the MSLP charts on the NAM really sort of tighten up and cluster closer together on the NAM...pretty good sign for heavier precip/lift

Guidance is showing the WAA sort of hit a brick wall in SNE earl tomorrow morning which is a good sign for some enhanced WCB precip....it almost starts getting shunted east a bit once it hits the wall.

41 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I've never done so for winter...but it's something I want to do. I really thought when I went back to school I could do a ton more with studying/research and the exact opposite happened...like I don't really think I have gained any additional (or very little) knowledge in winter wx or severe wx forecasting in the past 6-7 years. 

I'm sure some of the better schools go into some depth/detail on what you mentioned in the bold but not where I went...overall the program is pretty bad. Outside of the equations and atmospheric physics/chemistry (which is tremendous to know and understand and can be a great value when applied to understanding forecast models) I learned absolutely ZERO about forecasting while in school...absolutely nothing. If I never found this board back in 2007 and just went to school I would have little to no knowledge of how to forecast...outside of rip and reading MOS and just looking at the basics on models. 

In terms of forecast soundings we didn't do much with them...except look at a few examples from some random weather events in the 90's and just go over how to differentiate between Precip-types. 

I honestly get really pissed when I think about things b/c of how little I learned over the past 6-7 years. Between school and working 2-3 jobs I had zero time to do much in my own time. 

I have never understood why met programs don't work forecasting into the curricula more....unreal.

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Guidance is showing the WAA sort of hit a brick wall in SNE earl tomorrow morning which is a good sign for some enhanced WCB precip....it almost starts getting shunted east a bit once it hits the wall.

I was getting a little nervous yesterday b/c it was looking like the core of the WAA was actually going to weaken prior to arriving into SNE...but the latest signals are a bit impressive. I am a bit nervous though down this way...there is some pretty strong lift overhead after the warmth aloft has moved through...we could have a period of some moderate-to-heavy ZR

nam3km_temp_adv_fgen_850_neus_26.png

image.thumb.png.75d716ad0813ba9400189eb90d25cfe1.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I have never understood why met programs don't work forecasting into the curricula more....unreal.

I'm not sure it's any different for either professional fields.  There is so much to cover on the practical side, that's it's near impossible to add real life experience into the mix.  Only comes from experience on the job.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I was getting a little nervous yesterday b/c it was looking like the core of the WAA was actually going to weaken prior to arriving into SNE...but the latest signals are a bit impressive. I am a bit nervous though down this way...there is some pretty strong lift overhead after the warmth aloft has moved through...we could have a period of some moderate-to-heavy ZR

nam3km_temp_adv_fgen_850_neus_26.png

image.thumb.png.75d716ad0813ba9400189eb90d25cfe1.png

We not nervous. We embrace.

• Like 1

Just now, PowderBeard said:

Just looked at the 12z HRRR. Thing has been $ so far this year. Caught the mix line and timing very well as well as banding areas in the 12-2 storm (although a lot more than was modeled) and did well with the two smaller events. I'll ride it. 

Looks too warm at the surface so I’ll bet it cools once it gets closer into its ‘wheelhouse’.

34 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Thats a pretty damned big thump for the pike region through about 15z tomorrow.

31 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

How does it look for Hall st in Methuen, MA USA?

30 minutes ago, weathafella said:

That’s a Boston snowstorm 

25 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

days and days?

11 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Another brick in the wall is good 

2 minutes ago, DotRat_Wx said:

HRRR useless right now