Total Members
    Most Online
    NEILwxbo
    Newest Member
    NEILwxbo

WINTER 2019/2020 BANTER

4 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Intense blizzard in Newfoundland today.

A perfect location, Anthony. Other than the factor of the commute and domestic bliss you could be very satisfied, meteorologically speaking. As always.... 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NYCSNOWMAN2020 said:

Can anyone tell me what is total snowfall  to date for Central park? Less than 4 right? Thx in advance..

5 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Some amazing photos and videos posted out of there over the past couple of days. 

I.B. If that happened in the metro area, how long do you think it would take for us to finally see our cars and front doors? As always ......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rclab said:

I.B. If that happened in the metro area, how long do you think it would take for us to finally see our cars and front doors? As always ......

They ended up with 27 inches, at least that's what their daily total was yesterday I'm not sure what the storm total was.

The big thing there was the winds which were 50-70 in areas Drifts are over 10 feet. Also I don't know what they already had OTG before this storm started.

Newfoundland is definitely a snow lover and Nor'easter lovers paradise.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

They ended up with 27 inches, at least that's what their daily total was yesterday I'm not sure what the storm total was.

The big thing there was the winds which were 50-70 in areas Drifts are over 10 feet. Also I don't know what they already had OTG before this storm started.

Newfoundland is definitely a snow lover and Nor'easter lovers paradise.

I was looking at some news reporter up there and they said total is about 4' OTG

• Like 2

I will forever remember this storm because my Uber driver taking me to a wedding cut off a salt spreader whose driver, rightfully, honked and flipped us off. 

My weather predictions suck so here’s my football predictions. These are for sure coming out

chiefs vs Green bay

Green Bay wins the superbowl

• Like 1

To say that New York City and Philadelphia are digging out of their biggest snowstorm of the winter so far would be somewhat of an exaggeration, but not a complete exaggeration. Yesterday's snowfall of 2.1" in Central Park and 0.2" in Philadelphia are both cities' largest snowfall of winter 2019-20. It has been a bleak winter in terms of snowfall across much of the Middle Atlantic region.

To add insult to injury, the pattern evolution has become less favorable for meaningful snow through the remainder of January. Even the previously bullish CFSv2 weeklies have now delayed the onset of a cold pattern beyond the first week of February.

Should New York City finish January with less than 6.0" total snowfall for the season, winter 2019-20 will join 34 previous cases. The mean snowfall for the remainder of the season during those prior cases was 13.5" and the median was 10.6". The most was 43.0" during winter 1895-96 (30.5" in March). The least was 0.0" in winter 2001-02. In 11 (32%) cases, New York City received 15.0" or more snow during the remainder of winter. In 16 (47%) cases, New York City received less than 10.0" snow for the remainder of winter.

In addition, the temperature has yet to fall below 20° this month in Central Park. New York City's minimum January temperature was 20° or above in seven prior years, most recently 2002. Five of those cases went on to record much below normal snowfall in February. Two (1949 and 1993) had somewhat above normal February snowfall (10.7" in both cases).

Still, things could be worse. Instead of infrequent but picturesque light snowfalls, the region could be experiencing the non-winter that has gripped Europe throughout the season. Today, the thermometer is again flirting with record high temperatures in parts of Estonia, Finland, and Russia.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

To say that New York City and Philadelphia are digging out of their biggest snowstorm of the winter so far would be somewhat of an exaggeration, but not a complete exaggeration. Yesterday's snowfall of 2.1" in Central Park and 0.2" in Philadelphia are both cities' largest snowfall of winter 2019-20. It has been a bleak winter in terms of snowfall across much of the Middle Atlantic region.

To add insult to injury, the pattern evolution has become less favorable for meaningful snow through the remainder of January. Even the previously bullish CFSv2 weeklies have now delayed the onset of a cold pattern beyond the first week of February.

Should New York City finish January with less than 6.0" total snowfall for the season, winter 2019-20 will join 34 previous cases. The mean snowfall for the remainder of the season during those prior cases was 13.5" and the median was 10.6". The most was 43.0" during winter 1895-96 (30.5" in March). The least was 0.0" in winter 2001-02. In 11 (32%) cases, New York City received 15.0" or more snow during the remainder of winter. In 16 (47%) cases, New York City received less than 10.0" snow for the remainder of winter.

In addition, the temperature has yet to fall below 20° this month in Central Park. New York City's minimum January temperature was 20° or above in seven prior years, most recently 2002. Five of those cases went on to record much below normal snowfall in February. Two (1949 and 1993) had somewhat above normal February snowfall (10.7" in both cases).

Still, things could be worse. Instead of infrequent but picturesque light snowfalls, the region could be experiencing the non-winter that has gripped Europe throughout the season. Today, the thermometer is again flirting with record high temperatures in parts of Estonia, Finland, and Russia.

you mentioned 1895-96 which didn't really get started until February and had a great March....another analog of hope would be 1913-14...it was worse than this year until Feb. 10th...1992-93 didn't get started until February...same for 1994-95...1995 did not have a good March...March 1993 had the super storm...March 1914 had a super storm...March 1896 had a foot of snow mid month...some other el nino winters that started late...1899-00 had hardly any snow until Feb. 17th...1991-92 was terrible until the last week of winter and first day of Spring...some other years... 1905-06...1923-24...1918-19 was the worst winter for snow did have its biggest snowfalls in March...the worst of all the el nino winters was 1997-98 and a last minute snowfall in March save it from being the worst snow season...Last winter had a good first week in March...I'm hoping we will get a good if not great March to salvage this winter...

To see these pics one would think that 5+' of snow had fallen, but reading that it was 'only' 27", my first thought was heck various parts of the tri-state area have seen amounts like this in the past 10 years, much of which occurred in blizzard conditions, yet I don't recall pics or videos quite like this,.  Even accounting for the fact that cameras and social media are even more prevalent now than say 5 years ago, what's the difference between this storm and ours?  Was this different because the the wind was waaayyy stronger?

1 hour ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

To see these pics one would think that 5+' of snow had fallen, but reading that it was 'only' 27", my first thought was heck various parts of the tri-state area have seen amounts like this in the past 10 years, much of which occurred in blizzard conditions, yet I don't recall pics or videos quite like this,.  Even accounting for the fact that cameras and social media are even more prevalent now than say 5 years ago, what's the difference between this storm and ours?  Was this different because the the wind was waaayyy stronger?

I think it's because the winds were very strong like Cp mentioned, and they already had snow on the ground too.

16 hours ago, NYCweatherNOW said:

My weather predictions suck so here’s my football predictions. These are for sure coming out

chiefs vs Green bay

Green Bay wins the superbowl

Well then.

8 hours ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

Yeah that porch had 5 feet of snow easily. I believe the airport measured 30" but maybe other locales saw more