Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
WINTER 2019/2020 BANTER

NYCSNOWMAN2020

46 minutes ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

I sadly was around for them too, and I"m starting to sound like my father too.   My father (maybe yours too) had the late 50s/60s as his frame of reference though, so for me growing up in the 80s, when he would blah-blah every storm except specifically the blizzard of 83, in hindsight I can understand why.  

I'd never trade the ~2002-2018 run, but it spoiled us.  3-6 used to be cool, and 6-12 felt like once in a blue moon, which it was.  12-18 is the new 3-6.  Kind of like as a Yankees or Giants fan anything short of a world series is a disappointment, vs a Mets or Jets fan who is happy to get anything.

The other thing that ruins everything is being able to see out 14+ days, which unless one lives in the arctic is going to include some warmup.  It's led to 'sure it's going to snow 4" and we'll have some nice crisp cold below normal  weather this fine Christmas time week, but it's going to warm up in 14 days around Christmas so what's the point of it all anyway???'  Or being in the midst of a blizzard and hearing 'yeah but look out for that torch in 9 days.'

Truer words were never spoken on this forum.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

I could live without it TBH. I'd have no issues moving to a milder climate if I didn't have the godawful heat in summer. Reason I didn't buy a summer place in ME, while I love it there, is the season is too short and I don't want to retire there. Splitting wood and sitting inside for months or trying to ice fish are not for me. I'm no outdoorsman, but I like to spend time on a lake or the ocean casting about. I can do that all winter not too far south from here. I would miss the snowstorms, but thems the breaks. Mulan, an old poster here who always had a comic relief effect, moved to FL a few years ago. He seemed to get used to it; the bass were biting, he said....but, FL is not for me for other reasons ( snakes, gators, land crabs....tropical heat...)

I agree with you on all points. Whichever direction you take will be the right one. When I was a young man I dreamed of owning and tending a lighthouse on the coast of Maine. My late wife and my daughters would buy me many items related to that dream. I still have a VHS tape of famous east coast lights. Now alone, I remaine with my inner city UHI blessed row house. I can still see the ocean, catch it’s scent on the breeze feel the sting of a northeast rain and even on occasion see snow. Now when the ships horn sounds,, the harbor bell rings and the guide light pulses and calls, my dream will remain but I will have waited to long to answer. As always ....

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, rclab said:

I agree with you on all points. Whichever direction you take will be the right one. When I was a young man I dreamed of owning and tending a lighthouse on the coast of Maine. My late wife and my daughters would buy me many items related to that dream. I still have a VHS tape of famous east coast lights. Now alone, I remaine with my inner city UHI blessed row house. I can still see the ocean, catch it’s scent on the breeze feel the sting of a northeast rain and even on occasion see snow. Now when the ships horn sounds,, the harbor bell rings and the guide light pulses and calls, my dream will remain but I will have waited to long to answer. As always ....

Well put, my friend. I would love to have bought that cabin on the lake, and spent my days chasing perch and bass. But I just put my son through college and now my daughter is ready to go, and she isn't happy with state college. So here we are. I'll buy the tin boat and tool around the bay chasing fish I'm not allowed to keep for dinner so that trawlers can continue to strip mine the seas....and rent a cabin and tow the boat up there  to ME for a week. It'll do. I remember when Sheepshead Bay had dozens and dozens of fishing boats...they are fast disappearing. Across the bay in Atlantic Highlands, two slips are unfilled, in a place where the waiting list for a head boat was over 20 years. And ice used to block the harbor in winter...my condolences on your loss.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, WestBabylonWeather said:

If it’s one thing I learned with winter storms it’s that the trend is your friend. And it’s not trending good

this weekend isn’t going to cut it. The good news is that it’s just the beginning for the pattern change. 

Dont bet on it from latest runs

Big warm up late next week

Fat Lady isnt singing yet, but she has entered the building and will start warming up soon

39 minutes ago, jfklganyc said:

Dont bet on it from latest runs

Big warm up late next week

Fat Lady isnt singing yet, but she has entered the building and will start warming up soon

I had heard nothing about a warmup in the time period referenced until today. So I am not putting much faith in anything. I'm already bored to tears with this winter and am ready to plan the garden and get the fishing gear ready.

11 hours ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

I sadly was around for them too, and I"m starting to sound like my father too.   My father (maybe yours too) had the late 50s/60s as his frame of reference though, so for me growing up in the 80s, when he would blah-blah every storm except specifically the blizzard of 83, in hindsight I can understand why.  

I'd never trade the ~2002-2018 run, but it spoiled us.  3-6 used to be cool, and 6-12 felt like once in a blue moon, which it was.  12-18 is the new 3-6.  Kind of like as a Yankees or Giants fan anything short of a world series is a disappointment, vs a Mets or Jets fan who is happy to get anything.

The other thing that ruins everything is being able to see out 14+ days, which unless one lives in the arctic is going to include some warmup.  It's led to 'sure it's going to snow 4" and we'll have some nice crisp cold below normal  weather this fine Christmas time week, but it's going to warm up in 14 days around Christmas so what's the point of it all anyway???'  Or being in the midst of a blizzard and hearing 'yeah but look out for that torch in 9 days.'

10 hours ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

Truer words were never spoken on this forum.

Agreed, a terrific post that sums it all up well but will likely get lost on the folks who should absorb it the most.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, weatherpruf said:

I had heard nothing about a warmup in the time period referenced until today. So I am not putting much faith in anything. I'm already bored to tears with this winter and am ready to plan the garden and get the fishing gear ready.

I spent most of the warm hours on Sunday cleaning and prepping the garden. I'm going to go pick up soil and mulch this afternoon. 

How's that for optimism :arrowhead:

13 hours ago, weatherpruf said:

I think the big difference between stinker years today and 30-40 years ago ( and I was around for them ) is you did not have the ridiculous warmth. You still knew it was winter, alright. And if you walked to the bus stop without gloves on it would sting....

I agree. There might not have been much in the way of snow but it still felt like winter. Winters have changed in SNE and for much of the east coast. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Thank you! We have a Son. His name is Michael and he was two weeks old yesterday. I can’t believe how much he’s changed already.

We welcomed our first grandchild, a grandson, back in November, at least I was two years older then when I made my Old Man a grandfather LOL but I look forward to being the young grandfather and having a ton of fun.  It really is amazing how quickly they change at that young age. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Sorry guys haven’t been around much. My Wife and I welcomed our first child on New Years Eve.

Congrats!  Best day to have a kid-you get the tax credit for the whole year!  LOL.   Mine are 10 (twins)-goes fast, enjoy every minute despite some long days and sleepless nights

3 hours ago, Brian5671 said:

Congrats!  Best day to have a kid-you get the tax credit for the whole year!  LOL.   Mine are 10 (twins)-goes fast, enjoy every minute despite some long days and sleepless nights

My twins just turned 21 last week. It's been a long haul ;) 

Congrats NJwx.

Haha now we get to call Rob gramps! :) 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

My twins just turned 21 last week. It's been a long haul ;) 

Congrats NJwx.

Haha now we get to call Rob gramps! :) 

I prefer Pops!  :P  My sons range from 27-22, we both can relate how the long haul sure goes quick, days are long but years are fast, that's for sure.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

January 1-15, 2020 will very likely finish with a mean temperature of 42.8°. That would rank as the 6th warmest start to January in New York City (Central Park).

The five warmer years were:

2007: 46.4°
1932: 44.0°
1950: 43.6°
1907: 43.5°
1998: 43.3°

5 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

For those who say we never had warm winters back in the day 1990 says hello for starters, that was an unforgettable winter and spring after what happened in the previous fall.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/26196142?seq=1

I knew we could count on Don to get us some numbers confirming that warm winters and warm periods in winters have been around for a while.  

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

I knew we could count on Don to get us some numbers confirming that warm winters and warm periods in winters have been around for a while.  

Yes. I made a comment in the discussion thread that the  pond skating in 1907 had to be horrible. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nycwinter said:

we need a massive volcanic eruption to cool the earth for the next few years maybe we will get lucky ..

I've been saying that since Pinatubo. Every time there's a decent eruption in an out of the way place I root for it to get bigger and my wife gives me s**t for it. I say I want it to snow more and she just shakes her head :) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

I've been saying that since Pinatubo. Every time there's a decent eruption in an out of the way place I root for it to get bigger and my wife gives me s**t for it. I say I want it to snow more and she just shakes her head :) 

I’m sure that’s not the only reason she shakes her head

• Haha 5

6 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

I prefer Pops!  :P  My sons range from 27-22, we both can relate how the long haul sure goes quick, days are long but years are fast, that's for sure.

Pops is my favorite followed by granddad and grandpa. So what do my grand children call me, they call me Poppy. I guess it’s cute and as I’m the last grandparent standing my daughters insist it’s perfect. Its okay except sometimes it makes me feel like a damn bagel. As always .....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1