• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

Scott's right ...the CONUS is mild to at times warm both in trends since October ( really ) and in the models, depending on model type and cycle ... amplitude therein.

Except ...here.

The problem with that...  not dependable, and probably... sustainability is in question. You C.H. the flow some how and the whole thing flops warm really quick.

Just look at that warm rainers we're getting in a month that's -3 to -5 at all climo sites, while also boasting some 150% of Dec snow norms when it's just the ides of the month - it's like, how could it be raining in with those two empirical metrics!!  Yet here we are... It's because it's all "fragile" and not really based on a N/A pattern that is dependable.

Thus... IFFY

deal with it.  Frankly, we need a bona fide -EPO with at least time-staggered +PNA pulses to sustain cold on a big enough scale that there is fiddling/wobble room.   We had that ... for 10 days, and got a big event out of it... couched in a cold pattern. The evidence is there... the pattern changed we've been scraping by as winter enthusiasts ever since ...

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Scott's right ...the CONUS is mild to at times warm both in trends since October ( really ) and in the models, depending on model type and cycle ... amplitude therein.

Except ...here.

The problem with that...  not dependable, and probably... sustainability is in question. You C.H. the flow some how and the whole thing flops warm really quick.

Just look at that warm rainers we're getting in a month that's -3 to -5 at all climo sites, while also boasting some 150% of Dec snow norms when it's just the ides of the month - it's like, how could it be raining in with those two empirical metrics!!  Yet here we are... It's because it's all "fragile" and not really based on a N/A pattern that is dependable.

Thus... IFFY

deal with it.  Frankly, we need a bona fide -EPO with at least time-staggered +PNA pulses to sustain cold on a big enough scale that there is fiddling/wobble room.   We had that ... for 10 days, and got a big event out of it... couched in a cold pattern. The evidence is there... the pattern changed we've been scraping by as winter enthusiasts ever since ...

Mostly agree but acknowledged very cold air is modeled here within the next 7-10 days.   

2 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I dunno...despite a shit pattern we seem to be wintering nicely.   Remember all the times last winter when scooter was disrobing over the wonderful pattern progged only to come up with snake eyes?

What’s happening in SNE is what happened in NNE last year. They were on the right side of the line and stayed there basically the whole winter. Until January, that is how we will continue to roll.

31 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

Isotherm and Bluewave seems to have nailed this winter so far........

How so? Blue Wave and isotherm are on the warm train. isotherm called for +1 to 2 temperature departures for December. We are -2.3 so far this month with the bitter cold air mass coming Wednesday night through next Saturday. We're probably going to be -3 or better by the 21st not going to make that up the last 10 days. Also they're probably spin it because most of the country is warm except for our area but they specifically forecast for our area. Also if we get a few inches of snow on Monday will be very close to normal for December with two weeks to go.

I will add that isotherm North Atlantic forecast is going to bust if guidance is correct with the Nao and ao. We will have had two episodes of negative Nao and the AO supposedly going to tank the last half of the month. His forecast called for no blocking in the Atlantic for December. And bluewaves mjo forecast is incorrect as it's going to probably miss the warm phases and come out in the cold of phases later this month. If I'm not mistaken he was calling for the same mjo propagation as last year

10 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Yes.  I remember during a mild winter day you commented on the 11-15 and that theme was repeated often.  You were right but sensible wx is more fun this year so far.

I think I remember talking about the pattern being favorable which It was, but as many of us have said, the details just can’t be nailed that far out. Sometimes that happens. And sometimes in what looks to be overall unfavorable patterns, you’ll get lucky.

20 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I think I remember talking about the pattern being favorable which It was, but as many of us have said, the details just can’t be nailed that far out. Sometimes that happens. And sometimes in what looks to be overall unfavorable patterns, you’ll get lucky.

I think we were on the same page regarding December being variable, but not lacking for chances.. that's worked out.