Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
November 2019 discussion

weathafella

10 minutes ago, tamarack said:

As with all wildlife, something will exert population control.  For deer, I'd rather it be firearms than fenders.

Augusta temp holding at 23 thru 2 PM.  Given CAA, may not go any warmer, certainly no more than 1-2F if any.

To many going by the way of the fenders, And some motorist deaths because of them and Moose.

5 minutes ago, purduewx80 said:

It seems kinda obvious from the 3-letter id, no? The airport's address is in Avoca, not Scranton or WB.

You're right...wow this didn't even cross my mind. Most airport codes are pretty easy to decipher and piece together but for some reason that thought never occurred to me here. Sometimes I over think and get all bent out of shape instead of trying to put 2 + 2 together :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 2

35 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I always say it about once per year...but reintroduce the cougar. I think people are too panicky for it to happen any time soon but it would actually likely save lives if we did it. It would reduce the number of deer car crash fatalities by a significantly higher number than the rogue fatal attack on a jogger or hiker. 

yeah, but the media will sensationalize a human killed by a cougar even if the odds are significantly reduced compared to deer/car crash fatalities.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

yeah, but the media will sensationalize a human killed by a cougar even if the odds are significantly reduced compared to deer/car crash fatalities.

Right. That's why it would be really tough to win public opinion on the idea. The idea of mountain lions roaming around the woods and waiting to ambush an unsuspecting hiker triggers our deepest survival instincts which is to focus on and eliminate the predatorial threat. Not the more abstract and modern issue of deer causing car crash fatalities. 

4 minutes ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

BDL at 31F now, looks like the high was 32F.

Record was 33F. So they got pretty close. A degree or two closer than I thought they would but a record nonetheless. 

Looks like BOS got to 33F as well. Maybe 34 between obs but I don't have the detailed site up on my phone. Easy record though even with the issues there. 36F was the record at BOS. 

ORH hit 25F so far. That obliterates the old record of 32F.

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

You're right...wow this didn't even cross my mind. Most airport codes are pretty easy to decipher and piece together but for some reason that thought never occurred to me here. Sometimes I over think and get all bent out of shape instead of trying to put 2 + 2 together :lol: 

Come to Canada where every identifier starts with CY. Then you only have two letters so its tougher to figure out lol. 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Right. That's why it would be really tough to win public opinion on the idea. The idea of mountain lions roaming around the woods and waiting to ambush an unsuspecting hiker triggers our deepest survival instincts which is to focus on and eliminate the predatorial threat. Not the more abstract and modern issue of deer causing car crash fatalities. 

Sounds kinda awesome

5 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Record low maxes today:

BOS: 36F (1874)

ORH 32F (2013)

BDL: 33F (1911)

PVD: 37F (1911)

CON: 30F (1894)

PWM: 33F (1990)

BTV: 28F (1916)

Hard to see any of these standing up....even the BOS battle of ** vs Oxen of yore

Not sure yet of the official high today at PWM, but looks like they crushed that one.  Might've been only 26F

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

I prefer natural selection to do it...survival of the fittest. Not hunting down the biggest, strongest one you can find. That's just me though and I accept people hunting even though I'm not a fan of it.

Like probably most hunters, I shoot the first deer dumb enough to give me the opportunity.  I've passed up fawns, but never an adult (assuming I have an any-deer permit.)  Unfortunately, humans have changed ecosystems so "natural selection" has become unnatural.  I'm not sure cougars/wolves would be a solution even if society would allow, as they aren't as people-adaptable as coyotes, and would probably stay mostly out of the southern Maine woods where the deer numbers and related issues are greatest. 

The other problem in cold and snowy climates is that, if there's 100 deer after the hunting seasons and only enough food for 70, it's not as if 30 stop eating on December 1st.  Instead, they all eat for 70% of winter and then comes the crunch.  In northern Maine, the back-to-back severe winters of 2007-08 and 2008-09 may have killed over half the deer.  (I've read that the 1960-61 winter with its 40-50" pack in NNJ killed 1/2 to 2/3 of the deer there.)  And losing the deer is bad enough; the damage to the forest may be worse and longer lasting.  When the PA Bureau of Forestry, managers of about 2 million acres of state land, underwent auditing for certification of forest sustainability, they nearly failed and essentially were given a "probationary" certificate.  The issue was deer herbivory that threatened the sustainability of those forests by eating most of the young trees, especially the most valuable species like oaks, maples and black cherry.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Like probably most hunters, I shoot the first deer dumb enough to give me the opportunity.  I've passed up fawns, but never an adult (assuming I have an any-deer permit.)  Unfortunately, humans have changed ecosystems so "natural selection" has become unnatural.  I'm not sure cougars/wolves would be a solution even if society would allow, as they aren't as people-adaptable as coyotes, and would probably stay mostly out of the southern Maine woods where the deer numbers and related issues are greatest. 

The other problem in cold and snowy climates is that, if there's 100 deer after the hunting seasons and only enough food for 70, it's not as if 30 stop eating on December 1st.  Instead, they all eat for 70% of winter and then comes the crunch.  In northern Maine, the back-to-back severe winters of 2007-08 and 2008-09 may have killed over half the deer.  (I've read that the 1960-61 winter with its 40-50" pack in NNJ killed 1/2 to 2/3 of the deer there.)  And losing the deer is bad enough; the damage to the forest may be worse and longer lasting.  When the PA Bureau of Forestry, managers of about 2 million acres of state land, underwent auditing for certification of forest sustainability, they nearly failed and essentially were given a "probationary" certificate.  The issue was deer herbivory that threatened the sustainability of those forests by eating most of the young trees, especially the most valuable species like oaks, maples and black cherry.

The only way to control them is to manage there population, The natural predators are not enough but harsh winters can do a number on the herd or over harvesting there habitat, I believe thats whats driving them to more populous areas besides the fact that more people are feeding them throughout the winters now, I'm doing my best to try to cull the herd, But i'm also selective to the size deer as well, Tomorrow morning looks like our coldest of the season upcoming so it will be a rather chilly sit in the woods, At least the winds should be calm.