Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November 2019 discussion

weathafella

9 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Bro, you are so in the minority on everything Regarding winter weather and winter storms here.  Most all of SNE would want a 78 repeat!  Most all would want a 2013 repeat.  Nothing wrong with PD 2, but 78 and 2013 were so much more eventful than PD 2.  

I wouldn't mind a 2013 but not most/all would unless you were in the CT sweet spot.

2 minutes ago, Greg said:

I wouldn't mind a 2013 but not most/all would unless you were in the CT sweet spot.

2013 was okay here, with snowfall that season almost exactly on my average.  However, Feb. 8-9 was a disappointment.  I'd watched light-moderate SN from mid-morning forward in Augusta, with 6" in the parking lot as I headed home.  There I found less than 1"- my 9 PM obs was 1.3".  Picked up overnight and the storm total of 11.3" made for a decent storm, but hearing that AUG and LEW each had over 2 feet was a bit depressing.  (Not as bad as 12/25-26/2002,though.  AUG/Gardiner 15", GYX 18" Belgrade Village 8-10", and 12 miles NW from there: 1.0".)

44 minutes ago, Dr. Dews said:

No one wants a 1978 repeat. A drift-free, gentle PD-2 would be fine though.

To each their own, I guess.  My wish-storm would be Dec. 30-31, 1962, only about 75 miles to the west of where it actually went.  That event dumped 29.5" on BGR and 40"+ 10-40 miles upriver.  It had storm force winds that piled drifts tall enough to snare a large bulldozer (that was out trying to free a 6WD grader, which had been sent to dig out a plow truck, and all this about a mile from I-95's current location thru BGR.)  Temps cycled back and forth between near freezing and near zero.  The backside NW winds shattered windows in NNJ and uprooted large bare-limbed oaks, with the 12/31 temps of 5/-8 at my place.  The Bangor Daily News is nearly 200 years old, and that Sunday, Dec 31, is the only time they were unable to publish.

3 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Would like to experience Dec 1992 where I live now.  Town next to me had 42” totals

In Methuen that storm had the best rain/snow line that I have ever experienced. The line was very sharp, one side of the line pouring rain and the other side heavy snow. Usually there is a transition area with a mix of rain and snow. In that storm it was similar to stepping over a magic line.

12 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Still pretty warm in the LLs. We'll have to wait until the wind shifts NW. It's still out of the NE at ORH. It's too bad it's not a little colder right now because this precip is blossoming pretty good. 

It appears that winds at ORH might have started backing in the last 30 minutes.

3 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

And a lot of people die in the heat and high dews that you crave. 

Not to mention with the improved lead time and warnings we have now it thankfully makes it harder to obtain a fatality toll like 78. Heat definitely kills more, but it's a lot harder to put a number on it.