Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November 2019 discussion

weathafella

35 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

And how often did 18+ snowfalls occur in your area prior to the last 9 years? Just curious.

I grew up in CNJ so those were 1 in 7 year occurrences. I expect maybe 1 in 5yr in WCT? Thing is, I missed Feb 13 and the Jan 15 superbust added the sting. Mar 16 was another one that forecasters banked on 18-24” here but that busted with 14”. Just crap luck lately I guess.

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I grew up in CNJ so those were 1 in 7 year occurrences. I expect maybe 1 in 5 maybe in WCT? Thing is, I missed Feb 13 and the Jan 15 superbust added the sting. Mar 16 was another one that forecasters banked on 18-24” here but that busted with 14”. Just crap luck lately I guess.

Thanks for reply!

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I grew up in CNJ so those were 1 in 7 year occurrences. I expect maybe 1 in 5 maybe in WCT? Thing is, I missed Feb 13 and the Jan 15 superbust added the sting. Mar 16 was another one that forecasters banked on 18-24” here but that busted with 14”. Just crap luck lately I guess.

You lost me on the phantom Mar '16 storm. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I grew up in CNJ so those were 1 in 7 year occurrences. I expect maybe 1 in 5yr in WCT? Thing is, I missed Feb 13 and the Jan 15 superbust added the sting. Mar 16 was another one that forecasters banked on 18-24” here but that busted with 14”. Just crap luck lately I guess.

Mar 17?

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, KoalaBeer said:

Not to mention with the improved lead time and warnings we have now it thankfully makes it harder to obtain a fatality toll like 78. Heat definitely kills more, but it's a lot harder to put a number on it.

Ha, I doubt it. Heat does not kill more than winter. Accidents and fatalities in vehicles directly related to winter driving alone would probably surpass all heat-related deaths.

7 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I moved up here in Dec 2014 and am still waiting for something more than 16.....my last big storm was February 2010 living in central Delaware.

13 minutes ago, Dr. Dews said:

Ha, I doubt it. Heat does not kill more than winter. Accidents and fatalities in vehicles directly related to winter driving alone would probably surpass all heat-related deaths.

Back your statement up with some actual real world data/stats. And regardless if it kills more or less, don't make it seem as if the weather you enjoy is more
"pure" than the weather other people enjoy. 

For starters you might want to check the death toll from the 2003 heat wave in Europe. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Greg said:

Sounds to me like a snow exhaust prone zone of some sort

Could be, but it would litterally be 1 town wide of an area. If they posted snow totals from each surrounding town it would jump dramatically.

Still my favorite is Jan 96. Fairfield town next to BDR had 27 along with all SW CT. BDR couple miles away 15.

Let's hope we get more big ones this year.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

At least with that EPO look, the air is coming from colder areas rather than the Pac ocean....

Yeah...plenty of cold air in Canada with that look. We'd basically be at the mercy of timing polar jet s/w's and anything ejecting out of the SW. There's confluent flow in the E US too. So the devil is in the details, but there could be fun with that setup.

41 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

There was no March of 16 big storm....March of 17 there was.   Ya..you’ve just been in the wrong spots for the bigger ones. It happens to everybody from time to time. 

29 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Back your statement up with some actual real world data/stats. And regardless if it kills more or less, don't make it seem as if the weather you enjoy is more
"pure" than the weather other people enjoy. 

For starters you might want to check the death toll from the 2003 heat wave in Europe. 

Great post.   

21 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

Even though I was fringed with 11.5 loved every minute of tracking that one.

Nothing beats those megalopolis snowstorms from a media standpoint.

It gets bad here when there is a huge snowstorm. Everything shuts down.

16 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

It think you'd expect an active pattern with frequent but not super intense lows. 

A lot of northern stream lows ?