Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

43 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Was 52 when I left. I can’t recall a temp that low in July or August since I moved to my current locale in 2013. 

Also, SOS tomorrow night? Might get a slug of heavy rain. 

Nam has 6-8 inches in central CT with only a 0.5" here, that woould fit this summer's precip trend pretty well...52 this morning after a 48 yesterday.

47 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Was 52 when I left. I can’t recall a temp that low in July or August since I moved to my current locale in 2013. 

Also, SOS tomorrow night? Might get a slug of heavy rain. 

My only 30s here in August (since 06) was a 39F in 2007. Don't have time to look, but I wonder what your area did back then.

30 minutes ago, dendrite said:

My only 30s here in August (since 06) was a 39F in 2007. Don't have time to look, but I wonder what your area did back then.

The COOP next town over in Hingham, who runs a few cooler than me at night, got to 46. That's impressive. He's near the water too, but I'm also on a small hill that never radiates. 

10 hours ago, dryslot said:

6.0" here on that storm and the rest of that winter ended below normal.

Killed by the sharp cutoff - forecast was 10-16, we had 4.5", and only lost power for about 2 hours.  Might've been 2 days or 2 weeks had the forecast verified high end.  Farmington reported 8.0", their largest Oct. snowfall on record.  I saw about 8" that Sunday morning at 750' on Weeks Mills Road, but the Farmington co-op is at 420', only 25' higher than my place, so it was surprising they had nearly twice our total.  25 miles SSW from that co-op, Hartford (765') had 14".   That cold season's biggest snow came on Nov. 23, with 9.7" and nearly half came during the 3 hours I was looking for deer that morning.

26 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Yeah, 14-15" here but power was back in 24 hours.  We had days on end of people coming from all over to buy gas and other supplies in Greenfield because everything S of here was crippled.

Similar in ORH....we had 17" of snow that was just powdery enough that it didn't cause huge power issues. But people from near here just lower down were all coming in and going to the stores since power was crippled in the lower towns just to the east.

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

That was the best damaging storm of my life. Would give anything to have that or worse happen again. Just something so exhilarating about it.

would you take it again knowing that the following winter would be an extreme dud?   I remember the days after the storm it warmed up and was bone dry for weeks....was a harbinger of the awful incoming winter, basically a redux of 01-02.

3 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

would you take it again knowing that the following winter would be an extreme dud?   I remember the days after the storm it warmed up and was bone dry for weeks....was a harbinger of the awful incoming winter, basically a redux of 01-02.

Pass

7 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

That was the best damaging storm of my life. Would give anything to have that or worse happen again. Just something so exhilarating about it. It exposed how delicate our infrastructure is and will look like we got off easy when we get a cane hit like 38. Just a matter of when , not if. 

CL&P ftl. Eversource wouldn’t allow the same storm to be as damaging. It will take more in the years to come just to balance out the infrastructure improvements.

10 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

CL&P ftl. Eversource wouldn’t allow the same storm to be as damaging. It will take more in the years to come just to balance out the infrastructure improvements.

CEO lost his job over it.  Refused to believe the storm would happen as it did and didn't call in out of state help in advance.   Guy was an idiot-tried to say it was un forecast which was not true at all.

11 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

CL&P and Eversource are effectively the same company. It's why you can still pay CL&P.