Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

11 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

You tried to tell them. 

Surprisingly decent mid-range win for the GFS on temps.  

42-50F from just inland from coast of Mass, BED over to IJD, BDL, and across CT into NY. 

I know we were joking with Kev several days ago about it, saw the TollandStems both had 48F....wonder if he tickled 40s a little higher up or managed to hold onto 50F like ORH.

My last post on the subject of climate.  Will we Americans survive-yes.  Will our lives be negatively affected-most assuredly.  Global conditions have influenced our lives for over 100 years.  Should we put our heads in the sand and indeed not only do nothing but potentially accelerating the effect?  That seems like madness to me...

Autumn is nigh-it’s been a real summer!

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Surprisingly decent mid-range win for the GFS on temps.  

42-50F from just inland from coast of Mass, BED over to IJD, BDL, and across CT into NY. 

I know we were joking with Kev several days ago about it, saw the TollandStems both had 48F....wonder if he tickled 40s a little higher up or managed to hold onto 50F like ORH.

He posted earlier a 49 i believe.

14 hours ago, Hoth said:

Yeah, you pretty much nailed it. The general idea is that if a civilization reaches a certain level of technological development, we should be able to detect it. But we haven't, so why? Thus the postulate that there may be certain natural and technological barriers that act as filters and either allow a civilization to progress or die out. Perhaps it is exceptionally rare and difficult to reach our present level of development. And even more rare to get over our present challenges, climate, resource depletion, political or otherwise, to become technologically advanced enough to spread out to neighboring planets/star systems. It probably gets easier to create extinction level risks as tech becomes increasingly powerful and distributed. 

There are social-media outlets for all genres... Science Fiction is huge one, with [probably] a vastly larger number of connoisseurs vs those who engage in the sort of shenanigans that go on in here.  Being a software by trade to pay the mortgage type the peregrinations of my various job depots have occasionally introduced me to some of them over the years. 

I guess in some sense of it, it's not a huge leap to see how there would be overlap, fewer degrees of Kevin Baconism must exist between the code monkey nerdasphere, and the coke-bottle-eyed book worm dorkdum.  Two realms with a common ancestry.

Anyway, under the sterility of florescent illumination one afternoon, I draped arm like a desperate stockyard prisoner over a colleagues cubical wall for a moment of escape.  Anything but algorithms.  Conversations were inspiring and a nice diversion. Only, "nice" wasn't usually the neighborhood where those courses typically cul-de-sac.  I've come to find this is true? Be it Sci Fi, software people, weather junkies ... etc, for some reason group think among these sort of subclass zeitgeists, they always end up in some flavor or another of dystopian hell ( haha). 'Wonder why that is.  

So one such topic had come up that I had forgotten when we derailed this thread yesterday ( sorry Will I'll make this the last). I was introduced to an idea known as the "kill switch," hypothesis.  The gist of it is/was quite similar in principle for all intents and purposes.  KS has been around for decades actually ( rarely do successive generations have unique ideas, but don't tell the Millennials that ). 

In essence all complex tech-based civilizations that evolve unchecked via their own inertia will, undoubtedly, happen into equally impressive ways and means for self-annihilation.  It's an intuitive assumption but an easy one to make.  We're primitive... We still think of guns that fire projectiles...  Troglodytic...  The Zircons ...they have Quantum weaponry, teleportation of spalling razor-blades inside the skull of an enemy - no shots ever need be fired by a "caveman" brandishing a Magpul FMG-9.  I wonder how a "2nd amendment" on that world reads.  Exotic destruction, like us in a lot of ways, are innovations and ingenuity that do not necessarily have any attending morality evolve along with them. Such state of affairs, probably doesn't end well for any society of that ilk.  It seems easier to imagine that is the favored result in Nature, too, because it is a logical fit when Nature clearly pits organisms against one another and their own kind, right out of the abiogenesis gate. Those traits are not going to conveniently arrest at the moment the "Forbidden Planet" progenitors turn on the ID machine.   

So anyway, are but the Universe's progeny, bound ( perhaps ) by the same limitation as any other, were we can never extend our omniscience as far as the former force can see. Any species that attempts to do so, come hell or high water, one way or the other,  gets kill switched.  We were musing this and I jested, 'perhaps in more scientific terms, 'the cosmological constant of death,' for just as the organism is born, lives, and inexorably dies, so to does the species they are apart.  He was creeped  out by that, probably because the death of the invidual and the death of the society, are objectively analogical to one-another.  Heh, that tends to be closer to axiomatic when that happens in most observations about Nature..   

So good luck with that Star Trekkian technical utopia ... traversing the galaxy in the life and times.     

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

Any word from Twitterverse about Fakersville?  

If I got to 43° perhaps they made it to the 20s?

Colebrook made the low-40s, so I would think Bakersville touched the 30s. Not sure if they had their first frost or freeze, but maybe 38 or 39 there?

21 minutes ago, snowman21 said:

Colebrook made the low-40s, so I would think Bakersville touched the 30s. Not sure if they had their first frost or freeze, but maybe 38 or 39 there?

Good call.  I was joking about the 20s.

15 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Looks like the co-op was 44°...6° warmer than the exposed max/min.  I should get one of those and post temps from Stafford.

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

It’s also a swamp there so he’d have been all fogged in. Such a joke

Probably 45F on his official COOP sensor. His raw COOP forms are always trip. He loves putting "temp in valley xF" whenever it's a torch day or a rad cooling night. Your shielded decade old sensor is probably more accurate than his unshielded max/min one.

12 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Probably 45F on his official COOP sensor. His raw COOP forms are always trip. He loves putting "temp in valley xF" whenever it's a torch day or a rad cooling night. Your shielded decade old sensor is probably more accurate than his unshielded max/min one.

44°:

https://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=ALY&product=HYD

17 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I called him out on twitter once about that. I must have struck a nerve because on the same day I tweeted BOX my snowfall and he replied "fake news" or something like that. :lol:  

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I called him out on twitter once about that. I must have struck a nerve because on the same day I tweeted BOX my snowfall and he replied "fake news" or something like that. :lol:  

Pretty sure he’s a Trumper based on some of his tweets. Sensitive snowflake. 

Its weird that someone who seems to be such a weather enthusiast would embrace such an obviously erroneous temperature reading. I mean, I get that it's fun to look at how extreme it is, but it's obviously wrong if we are going by standards set in station sitings. 

33 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Pretty sure he’s a Trumper based on some of his tweets. Sensitive snowflake. 

Lol the never ending snowflake jokes on both sides. I wouldn't mind seeing a shit load of snowflakes early this year, one of those boom its winter mid Novie starts. No science in this, with a BN to normal  Winter Spring Summer in NNE most would think early onset of fall would follow. Amazing gradient from NNE to the MA

YearTDeptNRCC.png

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Lol the never ending snowflake jokes on both sides. I wouldn't mind seeing a shit load of snowflakes early this year, one of those boom its winter mid Novie starts. No science in this, with a BN to normal  Winter Spring Summer in NNE most would think early onset of fall would follow. Amazing gradient from NNE to the MA

YearTDeptNRCC.png

Yeah, But charts though.

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

YearTDeptNRCC.png

I can’t wait for the new normals at BTV to make it a smoother looking graphic up here, lol.  The map algorithm is like “hmm, there are all these sites at -2 to -3 that circle around this long standing site that’s +1.”

But gradient it has been, even going back to last October.  The NNE hills have been a bastion of cool relative to normal for a good stretch of time.  Hopefully it continues like you said with a quick arrival of fall.  

50 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Its weird that someone who seems to be such a weather enthusiast would embrace such an obviously erroneous temperature reading. I mean, I get that it's fun to look at how extreme it is, but it's obviously wrong if we are going by standards set in station sitings. 

Some like to feel special like they live in this extreme weather spot that everyone else should be jealous of. You'd think his COOP equipment was at 1000ft and the valley thermo in a below sea level bowl.

http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/orders/IPS/IPS-228BF4B9-6130-4DFE-BA37-4C11781AF05F-wxc3.pdf

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Telling graphic there. Quite the gradient. 

I wonder how much of that was real, unimpeded diurnal variation attributed, and how much was I dunno, upslope clouds all day keeping things down on the top, but merely average at night. The impetus being, a "real" cool air mass as opposed to one being adulterated by other factors.  There is a difference.  If it's 63 F pounding rain in 570 thickness, that feels like a cold air mass for summer.

That is no declaration or accusation but those blue nodes (Steve's variation) seem almost local-study in scale?  Sure the general domain above roughly RUT-CON is coolish, but the far NW corner of VT was modestly warm too. 

That kind of "island" distribution less than smoothly pervasive, it makes me wonder if that's a bootleggy deal to some degree ( pun intended) .