Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

12 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

ORH's high of 66.2* yesterday was pretty impressive.  Sitting at 50.0 at the moment--40's look to be a lock.

Hopefully, we can repeat sub-70's again today.

High was 68° yesterday. They’ve been stick at 50° for awhile with a breeze, but they should probably sneak some 40s in. 

24 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

57 even here near the water with a bit of a breeze. Guidance did well for the high spots like Worcester. Wasn’t sure if they tickle upper 40s. Still might now but seems likely.

I'm not sure if I'll get 40's or not.  I had been showing 50 for the last hour, but have now come up to 51.  40's still well within reach, but the 'wrong direction' doesn't boost confidence.

7 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Ossipee lake off to the northeast. That's your spot if you want to be on water.

Or you could just say screw it and go full weenie and get a place on Rangeley Lake or Mooselookmeguntic. But your swimming season would probably be cut by a month or two up there. :lol:

Cant beat the winters though. 

Yeah that area south of Conway does sneaky good.

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

He had the front hanging up nearby and not clearing Coast. Then ridge retro and retorch post 09/04

It still could be fairly dry. Also retorch isn't what it looked like last week. If you look at the EPS, there's lots of HP nearby. Not exactly a torchy look. It doesn't mean a day or two could be very warm....but I don't see a big extended torch signal. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Hoth said:

Agree. We are far more likely to come to grief via other means. Climate change will introduce strains, but we're a pretty adaptable species. I mean, we survived 100,000 years of brutal ice age with primitive tools and tech. Doesn't mean it's a challenge we should brush off, or that I don't support conservation and adoption of environmentally friendly tech. I do. But yeah, I would put global financial meltdown and the breakdown of civil society that comes with it--usually accompanied by civil or world war--as my top and most likely threat. Even as we speak, things look increasingly alarming. Setting aside the disruption of supply chains this trade kerfuffle with China is causing, we're seeing the break down of trade ties across the globe and a move to towards de-globalization and balkanization. To make matters worse, we have several systemic risks flashing red at the same time. China's banking system is like a much larger and more dangerous version of ours in '08, Australia, Canada, South Korea all have deflating property bubbles and likely face a credit crunch, Europe's banking system is insolvent and has absurdly high NPLs (and will be hurt even more by the ECB's move towards negative rates), the U.S. has built the mother of all corporate credit bubbles, emerging markets have record dollar denominated debt and will be in deep shite when recession kicks in in earnest and makes the dollar appreciate against their home currency, Italy is a 10x bigger version of Greece and populists there are fixing for a fight with the EU, changes in market dynamics over the last decade (momentum enhancing passive vehicles, corporate buybacks draining liquidity, algorithmic trading) could greatly exacerbate any fall in asset prices and, finally, the central banks are largely tapped out after trying to right the ship for the last decade. The odds of something exceptionally ugly happening to global economy are exceptionally high IMO. 

Rubbish. The seas rising less than 1mm a year are much more of a concern. I heard Obama wanted to buy a 15 million dollar mansion on the water in Martha's Vineyard and fellow alarmist Al Gore wanted a 25 million dollar one in Malibu on the Pacific. Fortunately, those 2 wise men realized the seas would inundate these properties in short order and make their investments worthless. 

• Like 1