Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

16 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Ditto. I had like half of my seasonal snow in Oct/Nov and then coasted through a warm, snowless DJF.

That season was very hard on me financially in the maple business.  I lost a lot of money.  Spent the entire winter just trying to get access to my woods only to have warm weather make it an even crappier season.  It took me years to recover from the loses that season.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the storm but could do without that season.

13 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Who made that accumulation map. 128 certainly didn’t have near 10-20 inches lol

18-19 in Westminster where I was 

It's wrong here too.  I had 12" and so did a lot of the 1K elevations to my east.  That map makes it look like they stopped in the CT River Valley when it was most of NE CT.

27 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Who made that accumulation map. 128 certainly didn’t have near 10-20 inches lol

18-19 in Westminster where I was 

Yeah, thats not accurate....you had to get up near the MA border before hitting 10" that far east in MA....Megan was living in North Chelmsford at the time and she had about 6-7, but when I drove to her place and picked her up to get some wifi access in Nashua, I'd say there was a noticeable increase around the northenr part of Tyngsborough just to her north by about 3-4 miles and then it ballooned into about 13" by the time we got to Nashua.

Ironically, despite getting less than half the snowfall I got, Megan's 'hood was without power for 5 days while I never lost it.

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah, thats not accurate....you had to get up near the MA border before hitting 10" that far east in MA....Megan was living in North Chelmsford at the time and she had about 6-7, but when I drove to her place and picked her up to get some wifi access in Nashua, I'd say there was a noticeable increase around the northenr part of Tyngsborough just to her north by about 3-4 miles and then it ballooned into about 13" by the time we got to Nashua.

Ironically, despite getting less than half the snowfall I got, Megan's 'hood was without power for 5 days while I never lost it.

6.5 in Methuen but we never lost power. A lot of tree damage but not as much tree damage as in the March 2018 storm.

21 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

It's wrong here too.  I had 12" and so did a lot of the 1K elevations to my east.  That map makes it look like they stopped in the CT River Valley when it was most of NE CT.

Had 12” here. Last 2-3” were powder . Rest of it fell at 31 or so . Was a touch drier than the valley where it was 33-35 whole time 

4 minutes ago, White Rain said:

Highs at the house here the last 3 days have been 70, 67 and 71.  69 currently, The weather feels great but its too early for fall - seasons in seasons.

These departures are the same as if it hit 90 which no one would think is unusual. If a high of 90 would be considered "seasons in seasons," then why not a day where the departure is -10 instead of +10?

9 minutes ago, White Rain said:

Highs at the house here the last 3 days have been 70, 67 and 71.  69 currently, The weather feels great but its too early for fall - seasons in seasons.

really the anomalous thing here the last few days, just as much as the temps, is the persistent NE fetch/E Canada high. Too early for that?

5 minutes ago, snowman21 said:

These departures are the same as if it hit 90 which no one would think is unusual. If a high of 90 would be considered "seasons in seasons," then why not a day where the departure is -10 instead of +10?

Yeah the departures are similar to the July torches or when those overnight mins are near 70F.  

Its just that we (I think) have gotten so used to torching late summer periods that the thought of a string of 3-5 days of cool is really anomalous.  

It feels like it’s been a while since we’ve had this in late August.  And not just NNE or something, but everyone straight to NYC.

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah the departures are similar to the July torches or when those overnight mins are near 70F.  

Its just that we (I think) have gotten so used to torching late summer periods that the thought of a string of 3-5 days of cool is really anomalous.  

It feels like it’s been a while since we’ve had this in late August.  And not just NNE or something, but everyone straight to NYC.

went from AC to needing blankets to sleep in a matter of hours....enjoying the break from running the air con....July was brutal on the wallet.

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

We don't pull many neg departures like this with COC this time of year. Usually it's with a wet ratter that ends up 64/53 or something. The string of 74/43 type days seem to be a bit more rare nowadays.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

We don't pull many neg departures like this with COC this time of year. Usually it's with a wet ratter that ends up 64/53 or something. The string of 74/43 type days seem to be a bit more rare nowadays.

CON now -0.2 for the month, So basically normal.

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Killed by the sharp cutoff - forecast was 10-16, we had 4.5", and only lost power for about 2 hours.  Might've been 2 days or 2 weeks had the forecast verified high end.  Farmington reported 8.0", their largest Oct. snowfall on record.  I saw about 8" that Sunday morning at 750' on Weeks Mills Road, but the Farmington co-op is at 420', only 25' higher than my place, so it was surprising they had nearly twice our total.  25 miles SSW from that co-op, Hartford (765') had 14".   That cold season's biggest snow came on Nov. 23, with 9.7" and nearly half came during the 3 hours I was looking for deer that morning.

Indeed as the accumulation maps show, that storm was really just a typical October event this far north and west.  As PF noted, he had about an inch and a half, and my records show 1.2” for a storm total.  It was one of those infrequent occasions where we headed south for powder turns.  We went down to Pico for a ski tour, where there was about 15” at the summit.

I found it more notable that your largest storm that season came in November (unless there was something in the spring that you consider outside the cold season).  That 11/23 storm was certainly in the top five over here, but we also had January and February events that must not have been as notable farther to the east:

1. 22.7 inches (2/24/12-2/26/12)
2. 11.7 inches (1/12/12-1/14/12)
3. 11.0 inches (11/23/11)
4. 9.7 inches (12/27/11-12/28/11)
5. 5.1 inches (12/25/11-12/26/11)

That fact that a 5.1”-storm made the top five list does say something about that season with respect to receiving larger storms.  The only other season to do that in my records so far is that abysmal 2015-2016 season, and even in that case it was a 5.0”-storm, essentially on par with the one listed from 2011-2012.

22 minutes ago, dendrite said:

People also associate the weather that can only occur in that season as "seasons in seasons"....highs of 97F don't happen in the fall or spring but highs of 72F do.

Same in winter when the public might associate a high of 12F with "seasons in seasons"...instead of a high of 45F....the high of 45F is actually closer to normal than the high of 12F but highs of 45F occur all the time in spring and autumn, so it isn't unique to winter and it probably changes the perception.

But yeah, we always laugh when Kevin thinks November is a winter month when even ORH at 1,000 feet doesn't drop below 50F for an average high until November 11th and is still 42F on November 30th.