joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The March Long Range Discussion Thread, Winter's Last Stand

stormtracker

12 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Yes and I tried to warn you about this.:lol:

I didn't expect it to shift it freaking 500-750 miles west though. :arrowhead:

Really think we need that pv dropping down roughly in the W Lakes otherwise with how it is currently evolving on the models through our period of interest I think we will be fighting suppression. Anyway, 'ONWARD TO THE 12Z!!!'.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Just minor differences at day 6 . Gfs has a 988 bomb over Chicago and Fv3 a coastal off Carolina. 

Same result though. The advertised upper air pattern on pretty much all guidance looks awful for frozen potential now for next weekend. Probably time to look towards the 4-5th and hope that doesn't slip away too lol.

30 minutes ago, snowmagnet said:

Is the possibility still there for the 4-5th?  

Sure. I mean even next weekend cant be written off.. its still 6+ days away. If recent trends on the guidance are correct with a more western position of the tpv as it drops south, it opens the door for a phase with Pac energy, per some of the 0z runs, and even if it doesn't go to that extreme, it would allow for a storm to track to our NW. Could also end up further east and suppress the storm track some and work in our favor. This outcome is more likely for the period beyond next weekend IMO.

Yesterday's bullish 12Z EPS suite was easy to toss because it was so out of line with previous cycles.  It showed a 22-34% chance* of > 6" of snow during the next 300 hours from DC to the MD/PA border.  The 00Z suite from yesterday gave us a 8-18% chance over 312 hours while this morning's suite gives us a 8-18% chance over the next 288 hours --- back to square one.  Wish they didn't use the same initialization time for each suite - would remove some of the noise. 

*Obviously, I'm using the term chance loosely, as the percent of members showing > 6" of snow during the medium-to-long-range differs from our actual chances, which for percentages > ~15% are usually less than that for long-range forecasts due to the 10/1 rule and models' cold bias in the long term. 

All the seasonals with a great look on an active winter for Nor Easters blew dirt.

This is so true,  the Pac jet ruled , and combined with the -PDO really moved the outcomes  off to the South, . cutter or  coastal hugger. 

You need to have a good December I think to feel confident about Jan through March. November snowfalls have no real meaning. 

Also Judah failed with his AO forecast, it will end the season positive despite a robust finish in the SAI and even early season record NA snowfall coverage. 

After the record NA snowcover we lost a lot of the snowcover and went below rapidly,  as soon as the Pac changed and we lost the - SOI  and then the High pressure began to form in the Pacific reinforcing the WAR. 

Seems the oceans are more important for climate then SSWE, AO and the SAI .  The Pac being the KING !  

The rest is from bluewave 

from @bluewave

Officially the first winter since 11-12 with no real benchmark track 40/70 storms. Notice how dry that storm track has been compared to 2013-2018 when it was so active. Cutter and hugger storm tracks have completely dominated.

03B34BB7-43A9-40E3-82F3-7FBE9F9E363C.gif.57a7f917e3db1c9ec71a1516da601960.gif

C05DA98F-43C3-43CB-A7FA-06D7BAFE715B.png.04a70c73dec21f044d3496ad817abbd7.png

40 minutes ago, frd said:

The rest is from bluewave 

from @bluewave

Officially the first winter since 11-12 with no real benchmark track 40/70 storms. Notice how dry that storm track has been compared to 2013-2018 when it was so active. Cutter and hugger storm tracks have completely dominated.

03B34BB7-43A9-40E3-82F3-7FBE9F9E363C.gif.57a7f917e3db1c9ec71a1516da601960.gif

C05DA98F-43C3-43CB-A7FA-06D7BAFE715B.png.04a70c73dec21f044d3496ad817abbd7.png

That bottom image is pretty much the image of our worst nightmares.

15 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

In the old days this is where we would want it. Not so sure anymore with the revamped GFS. Doesn't seem to have the suppression bias it once had.

No storm has tracked up the Eastern seaboard this year in a good way.  No way to curve the flow. 

I am ready for the beach and the icecream man. I can smell the Coppertone now if I close my eyes. 

My god to live in the long periods where there was little snow here would be torture,  or better yet, without snow you can't get excited about snow and then no hobby. 

The GFS could be overplaying the cold but that does not work like you said , if has been addressed some how in the modeling.   

Still very poor agreement with the day 6 cutter.  GFS amplifies amplifies the southern stream and phases it just east of the rockies, while the CMC and the FV3 show more of a shred.

0qDyzLK.pngWQVTzkO.png

efIK8jz.png

GFS did lag the energy back a little more this run so maybe that's a sign it's wrong. 

@C.A.P.E.we talked yesterday about how the western dig of the tpv was killing the March 1-2 threat but helping after. What I’m more disappointed is the absolute shred factory setting up behind whatever that first wave ends up doing. We normally score as the cold relaxes not presses.  Our best window would be the 4-8th. But guidance has moved away from anything in the northern stream digging and phaseing and instead just slides the northern stream to the north and acts as a shred factory to anything under it. 

FTR ive not punted anything. If the southern feature is dominant the March 1-2 could work but it’s complicated and we suck at complicated. After that still has potential, it’s plenty far out for guidance to adjust especially given it’s a volitile time of year with shorter wavelengths.  But the trends the last 24 hours leave me less than inspired. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic