Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
February 19-20th Threat - STORM MODE

stormtracker

1 minute ago, BaltimoreWxGuy said:

I have to think that the precipitation will be a little more smoothed out though. Odd that the heavy precipitation can’t make it a little more N.E. of DC...I doubt DC gets nearly 3-4 more inches of snow than BWI

Could. Happened in the January storm. It's unusual but not unheard of.

Just now, Deer Whisperer said:

I’ve been hugging the GFS for a few days now. Hasn’t really moved, puts MBY in a great spot. All of DC, nova, and eastern half of md cash in.

It looks acceptable for a warning level event. The squeeze play between the cold dry air and solid moisture plume has to collide somewhere.  In this run it’s DC west and SW.  enjoy it for now.  Too much of one or the other..and you get the FV3.  Or the Euro.  My money is on MD being the jackpot but we get an acceptable outcome. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ers-wxman1 said:

I’m telling you this is unfolding. Significant storm and evolving. 

I have to agree.  This is a dynamic weather event that is about to unfold.  The final solution could be much more interesting than we see on the models right now.  Definitely fun to track that’s for sure.

• Like 3

Just now, SnowGolfBro said:

I have to agree.  This is a dynamic weather event that is about to unfold.  The final solution could be much more interesting than we see on the models right now.  Definitely fun to track that’s for sure.

That FV3 snow map doesn’t concern me for PWC. I don’t think the snowmaps mean much other than entertainment. There is snow to the right nod left of us.  Now if there was 0 in all directions but north well I would be concerned. 

Just now, Fozz said:

I don't trust that depth map. It looks way too high and too smoothed out. Kuchera ratios are probably the most reliable choice.

I don't either... now that i look at it.  I kind of posted it knee-jerk replying to BTRWx, but it is a little insane.  If you go back to 54h, it actually shows over a foot on the ground in DC.

Just now, jaydreb said:

Right.  I don’t think models can predict exactly where those bands will be 48 hours out.  

My thoughts are it will come in like a wall for everyone.  It will enhance in the normal zones from Winchester/Leesburg/moco.  After that, us closer to dc, will flip probably an hour or two earlier than progged on any model.  Living here as long as I have it’s always the case.  I think 2-4 is good for us but someone could see 8” in that enhanced area I mentioned and up into northern md where they will hold snow longer.  My .02.

• Like 1

The overall trends are great. There is a watch posted and the language being used by lwx is more bullish than I have seen for any storm (minus the bust for nova last march) since I have lived here (3 years). Not to squash the live and die by the different model guys but the 18z Icon hasn't been right... ever, and the Ukie and the euro had significant amounts of snow imby this past weekend and I never saw a flake. We are getting a winter storm! and the Icon and the Ukie still suck

36 minutes ago, ers-wxman1 said:

I’m telling you this is unfolding. Significant storm and evolving. 

I saw went out on  a limb earlier.  you're right most mets are basically now casting these things now. It is a shame.   Years of schooling.. years of watching these things unfold and they basically just color a map that blends the leading guidance the day before the storm.  I mean Christ..  even Marty Bass will give his opinion... and he isnt even a anything.. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, NorthArlington101 said:

It's an all time weenie run. I posted this in banter but it shows 4" an hour for CHO at the heart of the thump. And then it's sleet central.

HDRPS isn't the worst model out there. Did well on the December storm. 

FV3 did well on that storm, if I recall correctly.

3 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

It's an all time weenie run. I posted this in banter but it shows 4" an hour for CHO at the heart of the thump. And then it's sleet central.

HDRPS isn't the worst model out there. Did well on the December storm. 

Don’t think I have seen 4 inch per hour but I am willing to see it.  But extreme moisture running into dry cold air seems like recipe for a nuclear snow bomb

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hyphnx said:

FV3 did well on that storm, if I recall correctly.

Yeah, it actually did. If I was to wager though it was more because of it's overamped bias, took the storm more north than other models did. Not qualified to say though.

2 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Don’t think I have seen 4 inch per hour but I am willing to see it.  But extreme moisture running into dry cold air seems like recipe for a nuclear snow bomb

Sorry, you only get 2" rates. Sucks to be on the north side of the max band /s

Just now, losetoa6 said:

It's a real nice hit verbatim with big rates it appears 

hrdps_asnow_neus_48.png

HDRPS snow output, like the CMC, is genuinely all snow. None of this is sleet/ice.

• Sad 1

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic