Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 12-14, 2019 Storm Discussion STORM MODE

WxUSAF

44 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

@psuhoffman I totally agree and you can see the divergence of those 2 boom/bust scenarios well in the ensembles.  Relatively few that split the difference sort of like the Euro Op is doing now.  GEFS has been leaning toward the boom scenario the last few runs and seems like GFS Op is going that way as well with the coastal getting us.  EPS also trending that way a bit at 6z it looks like.  

Nam goes with the fail scenario lol

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Thats a perfect match of the winter to this point for my yard lol. Not sure I would have even looked at the NAM on my own at this range. At this point I am pretty laser focused on the EURO and GFS op runs.

I agree not to take the nam seriously. I just hate seeing any model spit out the way we would totally fail in this situation.

Despite what we see on the surface with the current NAM my biggest takeaway was that it was a win. The NAM has consistently been more progressive with the NS run over run since this storm got within range. IF that continues it is just a matter of time, probably in the next 2 or 3 runs, before we see that system bumping north and putting the DC/Balt corridor into play.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Despite what we see on the surface with the current NAM my biggest takeaway was that it was a win. The NAM has consistently been more progressive with the NS run over run since this storm got within range. IF that continues it is just a matter of time, probably in the next 2 or 3 runs, before we see that system bumping north and putting the DC/Balt corridor into play.

The NAM is kind of a red flag to me.  I know it's a sh*t model outside of 60, but it's a little un-nerving seeing the wettest model so dry.  Hopefully that improves inside of 60 hours.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

The NAM is kind of a red flag to me.  I know it's a sh*t model outside of 60, but it's a little un-nerving seeing the wettest model so dry.  Hopefully that improves inside of 60 hours.

I wouldn’t sweat it to much with the nam just yet. You know this obviously. It doesn’t have the skill 60-84 especially with coastal evolutions. Holds energy in weird ways sometimes and you get these odd looking scenarios. Wouldn’t worry 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MillvilleWx said:

That model depiction is literally my forecast. You can even see the secondary enhancement over Parr’s Ridge

Definitely some bust risk but also some boom risk. I still like widespread 2-4" and believe that range still has the highest chance of verification. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

That model depiction is literally my forecast. You can even see the secondary enhancement over Parr’s Ridge

I would very much like that model depiction to play out here, 6" or so is a nice little storm around Fredericksburg, but always worried about a little North trend and the very end. Noticed it still has some snow around at 18z on Monday.....

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

The reason the NAM is normally the wettest model is because it tends to over amp the systems. Stronger low with stronger southerly feed and moisture vs. the other models gives you the wetter solution. In this case though the NAM and its NS representation is pretty much putting the kibosh on the low possibly amplifying. Not to worry though, if it continues to ease up on that NS it will probably hit a point that it gives that low room to amplify and then it will go to town giving us the NAMing that everyone loves.. Probably won't be right but it will be fun to look at.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic
  • WxUSAF locked this topic