Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Memory Lane

Rjay

3 minutes ago, bluewave said:

15-16 was the best pattern reversal while 89-90 was the worst.

Definitely..... 89-90 had the two worst possible winter outcomes here- dry and cold followed by warm and wet.

When it was in the mid 80s in Mid March we were happy and hoping for a warm spring and then we got hit with an inconsequential little snow event in early April lol.  I like April snow but it should at least be a few inches.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snow88 said:

27 hours of heavy wind driven snow

I got 30 inches 

City was a standstill

Jan 2016 ( Jonas  )

Feb 2003, Feb,. 2006,Dec 2010, Jan 2011, Jan 2016....more times than the 70's. 80's and 90's combined....so it does happen even in my local snow hole....in addition, we had near misses in Jan 2015 and Feb 2013 and March 2017 and 2018...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Brasiluvsnow said:

great storm and I can't remember if it was that same week or a week later we got a 2nd storm on top of the Blizzard of 78

Yeah we didn't see the second one down here, but that first one was the biggest I saw in my life at the time, I was 15.....wouldn't see one like that again til 83, and not again til 96. They were rare events.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BombsAway1288 said:

Correct. NYC Nickeled and dimed their way to an above average season. Think there was some type of storm almost every week that year though. Extremely active. Earliest memories of snow!

Not exactly nickel and dimed....there were two mini blizzards in Feb that were great storms, all snow and cold. No mixing IIRC. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Feb 2003, Feb,. 2006,Dec 2010, Jan 2011, Jan 2016....more times than the 70's. 80's and 90's combined....so it does happen even in my local snow hole....in addition, we had near misses in Jan 2015 and Feb 2013 and March 2017 and 2018...

Forgot about feb 2006.  That was the only major storm that winter IIRC.  I got 25 in Westchester.  Really powdery, and it should be on the top 3 list but...

January 96 

January 2016

I was upstate for ‘93.  From where I was sitting, that was the grandaddy of them all.  And I am OK with never seeing anything like it again. 3 feet of snow and 50 MPH wind.  The kids won’t understand, but you could pick up a newspaper and read about this storm that was in Georgia on its way north a couple days later.  It felt like Godzilla was coming!  Nowhere to hide.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, cleetussnow said:

Forgot about feb 2006.  That was the only major storm that winter IIRC.  I got 25 in Westchester.  Really powdery, and it should be on the top 3 list but...

January 96 

January 2016

I was upstate for ‘93.  From where I was sitting, that was the grandaddy of them all.  And I am OK with never seeing anything like it again. 3 feet of snow and 50 MPH wind.  The kids won’t understand, but you could pick up a newspaper and read about this storm that was in Georgia on its way north a couple days later.  It felt like Godzilla was coming!  Nowhere to hide.  

Yep I remember patrolling the parking lot at Sunshine biscuits ( remember them ? ) and . listening to the ominous forecast; snow sleet and freezing rain, and a certain radio blowhard was going on about how that proved there was no global warming...even back then. That storm was vicious despite the lower totals here, as a few inches of frozen crust sat up the 10 inches of snow, making removal extremely difficult.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dan76 said:

93-94 was good with multiple storms 10 I think?

I don't really remember that  winter since I was only 5

2 hours ago, Brasiluvsnow said:

Your probably too young or 78 would be on that list 

I'm 31

1 hour ago, weatherpruf said:

1 hour ago, weatherpruf said:

March 2001 was worse, almost nothing fell. In Jan 2015 we got 4-8. Just a regular snowstorm, not the apocalypse predicted ( and called off here long before the pros )

I got 11 inches from Jan 2015. Upton's  discussion was very eery for NYC.  They had these words : Dangerous  Crippling Blizzard on the way for the area.

Euro and Nam had the huge totals while the GFS had only a foot and was right. 

1 hour ago, cleetussnow said:

January 96 

January 2016

Feb 2006 was also great. I got 19 inches in Brooklyn  while  Central Park got 26 inches.

I was under a great snowband which produced 3-5 inches an hour rates.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, cleetussnow said:

(Referring to 93,  meant to quote weatherproof)

That was a well modeled storm...thinking it was brewing for 4 or 5 days in the media.  Unusual for the time.  

A triple phaser.  The players making this happen must have been very prominent for the models to have picked up the solution of a historic storm so far in advance.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BombsAway1288 said:

Correct. NYC Nickeled and dimed their way to an above average season. Think there was some type of storm almost every week that year though. Extremely active. Earliest memories of snow!

93-94 was awesome for many reasons.  First, the cold and the snowpack.  Snowcover seemed to last forever that year.   As you said, there was a winter event or two every week.  One week in February we were in the middle of an 8 inch storm on a Tuesday while the radio was talking about another one coming that Friday.  Fresh snowpack on top of frozen old snowpack.  Cold as far as the eye could see on the long range forecasts on TV.  Colleges on LI that hadn't cancelled a day in 18 years cancelling school.  And this wasn't in the middle of a run of snowy winters.  The big storm of any consequence was 11 years prior (Blizzard of 93 was a changeover event for most of us on LI), and during a time where I believe only one or two 10" storms had occurred in the previous decade.  To me not 95/96 with its crazy snow totals on LI and snowfalls into April, nor any of the winters with seemingly annual record breaking blizzards top 93/94, which felt arctic for months on end.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, qg_omega said:

Where is PD2?  

That  makes my top 5. 19 inches from that storm.

13 minutes ago, Enigma said:

March 93 was showing consistently on models 6-7 days out. At that time, Euro and MRF were run once daily. I recall that MRF went out to 240 hr, Euro 168 hr.

Alot of the huge storms appeared a week out. 2006, 2016 appeared a week out.

8 minutes ago, Enigma said:

March 93 was showing consistently on models 6-7 days out. At that time, Euro and MRF were run once daily. I recall that MRF went out to 240 hr, Euro 168 hr.

Sign of the times emerging from the snow drought of the 80s, I remember WINS talking about this storm days out saying that a FOOT could fall.  As we know, N&W were crushed, and LI was changed over just as it was getting fun, even as Al Roker then on local NBC still had maps up talking about feet of snow for most - I'll never forget that.  But thinking back at the way everyone was talking about a FOOT as if a FOOT was cataclysmic reflected the lack of real snow for the better part of the decade leading up to it.  It's been a little while since our great run of blizzards here, but when I hear a foot now I still think 'ho-hum, not impressed', whereas in the late 80s seeing LI painted in 3-6 felt like Christmas eve.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, White Gorilla said:

A triple phaser.  The players making this happen must have been very prominent for the models to have picked up the solution of a historic storm so far in advance.  

Yep.  The thing had a gulf connection all the way to Maine, too.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Enigma said:

At the time it was the first case ever of a major storm being modeled that far in advance.  Once we got to 96-120 every model had it including the UKMET.  Forecasting was still pretty bad in 1993.  It improved significantly in the ensuing 3-5 years as a result of the Euro being more widely used as well as the ETA being worlds better than the LFM/NGM.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

93-94 was awesome for many reasons.  First, the cold and the snowpack.  Snowcover seemed to last forever that year.   As you said, there was a winter event or two every week.  One week in February we were in the middle of an 8 inch storm on a Tuesday while the radio was talking about another one coming that Friday.  Fresh snowpack on top of frozen old snowpack.  Cold as far as the eye could see on the long range forecasts on TV.  Colleges on LI that hadn't cancelled a day in 18 years cancelling school.  And this wasn't in the middle of a run of snowy winters.  The big storm of any consequence was 11 years prior (Blizzard of 93 was a changeover event for most of us on LI), and during a time where I believe only one or two 10" storms had occurred in the previous decade.  To me not 95/96 with its crazy snow totals on LI and snowfalls into April, nor any of the winters with seemingly annual record breaking blizzards top 93/94, which felt arctic for months on end.

'14-'15 was a lot like that too in the second half particularly. Lots of moderate 4-8 type events but consistent cold keeping the snowpack with what seemed like weekly snow events keeping the pack intact and fresh. That was my favourite winter simply because it was endless winter. '10-'11 had the massive storms but the snowpacks were short lived.

February 2006 might have been my favourite storm because the thundersnow was so intense and long lasting, never seen anything like it before or after. PDIi for the long duration and bitter cold is high up on the list too. So many others over the last 25 years that can be included as well. The '96 Blizzards, Boxing Day, Jan 2016 etc. We've been spoiled big time, a Golden Era of snow this century. I expect a regression to the mean eventually with some relatively snowless winters like last year for instance. 

• Like 1