Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Memory Lane

Rjay

2 hours ago, CIK62 said:

59 years ago today,  we were home watching a blizzard wipe out the mid-Atlantic and the City*.      Anyone here remember if Public Schools were open on that Monday?      Mayor Wagner had them opened for Hurricane Donna, exactly three months earlier, and during the Jan. 1964 Blizzard, but closed the next day.

*This immediately reminds us of the sad sight  of Stephen Baltz, the temporary sole survivor of the Dec. 16 mid-air collision over SI, lying in a pile of melting snow from this storm at Sterling Place/7th. Avenue.

ual_stephen_baltz_10_100.jpg

I was a freshman at Brooklyn Technical HS. From what I remember the 707 and the prop plane clipped one another over the Narrows. The prop crashed on Staten Island. Much less pre bridge population. The teachers were all in the halls with the news. Ours came back and gave us an update. I guess it could have been even worse considering the number of schools in the area. Not sure if that was the same year as the aircraft carrier Constellation fire. Again during a snow event. I remember watching my small B&W tv as John Tillman described the scene at the Brooklyn Navy Yard. I think he was with ABC news. Sad month for Brooklyn and SI but memories just the same.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CIK62 said:

59 years ago today,  we were home watching a blizzard wipe out the mid-Atlantic and the City*.      Anyone here remember if Public Schools were open on that Monday?      Mayor Wagner had them opened for Hurricane Donna, exactly three months earlier, and during the Jan. 1964 Blizzard, but closed the next day.

*This immediately reminds us of the sad sight  of Stephen Baltz, the temporary sole survivor of the Dec. 16 mid-air collision over SI, lying in a pile of melting snow from this storm at Sterling Place/7th. Avenue.

ual_stephen_baltz_10_100.jpg

it was December 16th 1960...I remember the forecast was for rain and the news anchor said the mountains of snow will turn to oceans of slush...he was right for 7th Ave and Sterling Pl in Brooklyn...

• Like 1

On 12/10/2019 at 7:48 PM, uncle W said:

My song was the 'Theme from a summer place'...a song about summer reminds me of winter...I found out it was JFK's favorite also...that decade of music changed drastically from 1960 to 1969...I went from listening to Frankie Valli to Frank Zappa by the end of 1968...

Summer Place was #1 in March 1960..the Dion song was Where Or When..December 1960 Elvis was # 1 with Are You Lonesome Tonight..there were tons of instrumentals on the chart with Exodus,Wondeland By Night and  Last Date

• Like 1

On 12/12/2019 at 11:29 AM, uncle W said:

it was December 16th 1960...I remember the forecast was for rain and the news anchor said the mountains of snow will turn to oceans of slush...he was right for 7th Ave and Sterling Pl in Brooklyn...

There was a mix of rain and snow at the time of the crash..rainstorm on the 22nd wiped out most of the snowcover on the coast..snow showers Christmas eve

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, WestBabylonWeather said:

when I think of "memory lane" its depressing

being a kid on long island in the late 90s, after 96 virtually no snow

2001-2002.... 5" of snow.....then we moved down south in 2002

boom, long island then had two 60" seasons back to back after we move, slap in the face....no snow, then we move, ton of snow

then I moved back in 2006 and had decent winters again, but being a kid in the 90s was brutal except for 96

93-94  and 95-96 was great..March 93 had the blizzard..and really that was it basically 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, WestBabylonWeather said:

when I think of "memory lane" its depressing

being a kid on long island in the late 90s, after 96 virtually no snow

2001-2002.... 5" of snow.....then we moved down south in 2002

boom, long island then had two 60" seasons back to back after we move, slap in the face....no snow, then we move, ton of snow

then I moved back in 2006 and had decent winters again, but being a kid in the 90s was brutal except for 96

you think thats bad, imagine being a kid on Long Island during the mid 80s-to early 90s!

• Like 1

I'm 70 years old now and feel it in my bones when it gets cold...I lived in Wellsville NY when I was 4...I moved back to Brooklyn in 1954...I can still remember seeing snow and ice from back then...I was almost seven years old when the first major snowstorm hit NYC in 1956...NYC had above normal snowfall from 1956-1969...

1955-56.....33.5"..... 7 years old...

1957-58.....44.7".....9 years old...

1959-60.....39.2".....11 years old...

1960-61.....54.7".....12 years old...

1963-64.....44.7".....15 years old...

1966-67.....51.5".....18 years old...

1968-69.....30.2".....20 years old...

1977-78.....50.7".....29 years old...

1978-79.....29.4".....30 years old...

1982-83.....27.2".....34 years old...

1993-94.....53.4".....45 years old...

1995-96.....75.6".....47 years old...

2000-01.....35.0".....52 years old...

2002-03.....49.8".....54 years old...

2003-04.....42.6".....55 years old...

2004-05.....41.0".....56 years old...

2005-06.....40.0".....57 years old...

2009-10.....51.4".....61 years old...

2010-11.....61.9".....62 years old...

2013-14.....57.4".....65 years old...

2014-15.....50.7"...,.66 years old...

2015-16.....32.8".....67 years old...

2016-17.....30.2".....68 years old...

2017-18.....40.9".....69 years old...

two before ten...

four in my reens...

two in my 20;s...

two in my 30's...

two in my 40's...

five in my 50's...

seven in my sixties...

as I got older I witnessed as many snowstorms and good winters after 50 years...I wish this happened in my 20's and 30's...

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, White Gorilla said:

Boxing Day actually delivered quite nicely up here in Poughkeepsie and surrounding.  We had 16 inches.  Not as much as the 2-3 foot amounts near the coast, but I was still very happy. 

Yeah, Boxing Day is on my favorites list up here, 18” and some terrific drifting enhanced by the open farm fields around me. 

1 hour ago, WarrenCtyWx said:

I was 7 years old during the winter of 2000-01, and have a vague recollection of blizzard conditions during a certain storm. It was either 12/30/00, or 2/5/01. The former had a very sharp cutoff just to my west. 

12/30/00 saw sharp cutoffs but some places picked up 2 feet in 9 or 10 hours. I dont recall alot of wind but certainly rates of 2 to 4" an hour would seem blizzard like either way.

2-5-01 was a heavy wet disaster of a storm that hit during rush hour crushing areas just inland

On 12/17/2019 at 5:35 PM, WestBabylonWeather said:

I don’t remember 2000-2001 winter. I was in high school. I’m 33 now. I see we got over 50” but I still recall late 90s into early 2000s being terrible for weenies. 

The 5 boroughs of NYC were never under a winter storm watch one time from March 1996 til 12/29/00.  That shows you how pathetic things were in regards to winter storms in that period.  January 2000 because the storm snuck up on us at the last second they went straight from nothing to a winter storm warning otherwise the streak would have been 11 months shorter 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Winter Wizard said:

This one has I'm sure been overshadowed by more recent storms, but 10 years ago today, this was an all timer for Long Island and the mid-Atlantic and MECS for NYC. 

dec 2009 snow.jpg

15 inches at JFK!  But it all fell at night here and I was so exhausted tracking it all day and waiting for it to start snowing that I fell asleep and never saw a single flake fall!

28 minutes ago, Winter Wizard said:

This one has I'm sure been overshadowed by more recent storms, but 10 years ago today, this was an all timer for Long Island and the mid-Atlantic and MECS for NYC. 

dec 2009 snow.jpg

That was dangerously close to being a catastrophe of a bust.  The system started sliding more east than expected and nearly ending up missing a good part of the area.  I remember that evening around 6pm sitting at home thinking this is really going to bust isn’t it?  It ultimately slid far enough east that most of northern Jersey didn’t see major snows  

Maybe someone will remember the year this happened, I know it was in December.....

An arctic front passed through the day and there were snow squalls with almost completely clear skies during the day and high winds, but no accumulations.....

Then at night we had a rogue snow squall move in with partly cloudy skies and a near full moon around 10 PM.  I remember seeing the weather on WPIX and there was a rogue band of snow around JFK and SW Nassau.  It sat there for 2 hours and we had 2 inches of snow in that time, all the while seeing the moon pass through the clouds (or vice versa lol.)  What date did this happen?  It was somewhere between the mid 80s and mid 90s (prior to 92.)

1 hour ago, uncle W said:

todays date in NYC weather history...

the first big storm of the season and the start of the coldest period of the winter that ended with the big Jan 96 blizzard!  We had both a white xmas and white new years!  And a white valentine's day too lol.  (How often does that happen?)  8 inches at NYC and JFK, but 14" at LGA and 12" at ISP and a plane slid off the runway at JFK and into Jamaica Bay!

It was a good storm but still a bit of a bust as the predictions were for 15-20 inches of snow.

26 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

the first big storm of the season and the start of the coldest period of the winter that ended with the big Jan 96 blizzard!  We had both a white xmas and white new years!  And a white valentine's day too lol.  (How often does that happen?)  8 inches at NYC and JFK, but 14" at LGA and 12" at ISP and a plane slid off the runway at JFK and into Jamaica Bay!

It was a good storm but still a bit of a bust as the predictions were for 15-20 inches of snow.

it almost snowed on every holiday starting with the Thanksgiving weekend...there were snowflakes in the air on Christmas and Easter...

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Maybe someone will remember the year this happened, I know it was in December.....

An arctic front passed through the day and there were snow squalls with almost completely clear skies during the day and high winds, but no accumulations.....

Then at night we had a rogue snow squall move in with partly cloudy skies and a near full moon around 10 PM.  I remember seeing the weather on WPIX and there was a rogue band of snow around JFK and SW Nassau.  It sat there for 2 hours and we had 2 inches of snow in that time, all the while seeing the moon pass through the clouds (or vice versa lol.)  What date did this happen?  It was somewhere between the mid 80s and mid 90s (prior to 92.)

25th-26th 1993?

• Like 1

On 12/19/2019 at 5:05 PM, uncle W said:

25th-26th 1993?

I think it happened before the 1993-94 winter.... I remember the Dec 26 1993 storm as being the only all snow event that winter for us lol.  Was a low moving up the coast developing east of ACY dropping 4-5 inches of snow here.

I remember a coast to coast low that went east off of Norfolk that dropped 4-6 inches also, do you remember what year that might have been?  I distinctly remember it because coast to coast lows passing south of us are pretty rare.