Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Memory Lane

Rjay

15 minutes ago, doncat said:

If I recall correctly, the March 2001 storm wasn't a rain bust but a too far East development for snow bust...at least for more western locations. I remember listening to one of the accuwx mets saying how the storm would be moving west closer to the coast...and I kept looking at radar saying no it wont.

What kept the storm from being closer to the coast and/or developing sooner?

8 minutes ago, doncat said:

If I recall correctly, the March 2001 storm wasn't a rain bust but a too far East development for snow bust...at least for more western locations. I remember listening to one of the accuwx mets saying how the storm would be moving west closer to the coast...and I kept looking at radar saying no it wont.

That was the classic storm that ended up clobbering Upstate NY- New England. Remember the Weather Channel had Kocin sitting there infront of a map that had all of PA-NJ-NYC-SNE in the dark purple saying "Widespread 2-3 Feet". I think that's when panic ensued and why a lot of people consider it and remember it as a huge bust. The area's that did get those amounts weren't exactly populated. Think ORH pulled a 30"+  spot though.

That was the storm that hurt/ruined a lot of on-air mets in the big markets. I think one met (can't remember his name but he worked in NYC at some point in the 2000's) was literally run out of Philadelphia because they ended up with nothing after the 2' predictions

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, cleetussnow said:

I thought the thing right over our heads?  (NYC that is).  I checked some historical maps - it looks like 2 frames (12 hours), the 850 low was right over NYC before it moved east.  Then it looked like it hugged the coast of LI - way too close to draw in the cold.  Upstate NY got smoked ala superstorm.  The storm whose name I shall not say...

we got freezing rain on the first day of the storm and 4" on the back end.  Patchogue got a foot of snow on the back end.  NYC public schools closing in advance was absolutely comical.

3 minutes ago, BombsAway1288 said:

That was the classic storm that ended up clobbering Upstate NY- New England. Remember the Weather Channel had Kocin sitting there infront of a map that had all of PA-NJ-NYC-SNE in the dark purple saying "Widespread 2-3 Feet". I think that's when panic ensued and why a lot of people consider it and remember it as a huge bust. The area's that did get those amounts weren't exactly populated. Think ORH pulled a 30"+  spot though.

That was the storm that hurt/ruined a lot of on-air mets in the big markets. I think one met (can't remember his name but he worked in NYC at some point in the 2000's) was literally run out of Philadelphia because they ended up with nothing after the 2' predictions

It was John Bolaris.

3 minutes ago, BombsAway1288 said:

every time kocin got on air the blue zone moved further north

gmycaYjW_400x400.jpg

12 minutes ago, cleetussnow said:

I thought the thing right over our heads?  (NYC that is).  I checked some historical maps - it looks like 2 frames (12 hours), the 850 low was right over NYC before it moved east.  Then it looked like it hugged the coast of LI - way too close to draw in the cold.  Upstate NY got smoked ala superstorm.  The storm whose name I shall not say...

Ok I checked my records...that storm was on the 5th-6th...i had 0.52" of precip and 4" of snow for the event, here on SI.

24 minutes ago, doncat said:

Sorry to post in this subforum, but talk about the march 2001 storm caught my attention and I just couldn't resist posting in here. You have mentioned the storm that must not be named. TWC forecasted 1-2 feet for my area when I was 9 years old. Don't really remember too well but I think we ended up having school. I was pretty upset then...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

I dont think the NWS ever lived down those monster totals they predicted for the Jan 2015 storm.  Good thing Jan 2016 happened to make up for it (sorry it didn't hit you also.)

You mean this one?

StormTotalSnowFcst.png

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

every time kocin got on air the blue zone moved further north

gmycaYjW_400x400.jpg

HAHA, there you go, remember these graphics well from that storm. I'm sure you remember the same stuff on TWC I do from the whole lead up to it. Think the big amounts were still in the forecast for NYC as soon as 12-18 hours out. Ended up with 6" in NE Bergen County and a Monday off from school that wasn't necessary lol

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, doncat said:

I was forecasted 2-3 feet for that storm.i received 5 inches but at least school was closed. 

The storm bombed out slightly further north than expected.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BombsAway1288 said:

John Bolaris?

Just now, bluewave said:

The KB block building back across the pole after going +13 in December was one of our greatest positive winter pattern reversals. That one one example of how difficult it is to catch particular extremes in a seasonal forecast. The warmest December on record followed by one of the greatest snowstorms of all time in January. Followed by the first below 0 temperature in NYC since 1994 in February. It was an El Niño progression from warm to cold that could have only happened since 2010.

it was like being in two completely opposite seasons within the same season!