Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Memory Lane

Rjay

9 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

Too bad a lot of the pre-sandy posts are hidden. Some all time dewey defeats truman type epic bad calls. 

At least those who made their proclamations learned some humility over the years. :tomato: 

Or changed their screen name and re-registered . As always ......

5 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

About the same here in Nassau County.  We needed the storm to be a bit further east.

Nothing at all in wantagh, car coverer in Long Beach. Interesting snow patterns with that one. Nothing on the north shore hills near the warm sound but a strip of 2” around the LIE

• Like 1

On 10/29/2019 at 3:07 PM, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Nothing at all in wantagh, car coverer in Long Beach. Interesting snow patterns with that one. Nothing on the north shore hills near the warm sound but a strip of 2” around the LIE

The storm a year later was similar (but more snow for us), very little on the north shore but 8" from the LIE down to here.

LIS is too warm for these early season events.

On 10/29/2019 at 1:12 PM, BxEngine said:

Too bad a lot of the pre-sandy posts are hidden. Some all time dewey defeats truman type epic bad calls. 

At least those who made their proclamations learned some humility over the years. :tomato: 

Funny thing is I was reading some of those posts just before a large gust took out my power here- for 25 hours!

28 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Interesting, I had 6” in Wantagh. I wonder if it was your proximity to the sound. 

That probably had a lot to do with it.  We had a lot of white rain before it started sticking. Also I think points farther west did better.  I think NE Nassau had up to 8 or 9 inches.

The Sound helps for most of the winter, but being within a couple of miles of the Sound also gives us a longer growing season kind of like parts of CNY near Lake Ontario (but not as pronounced).  We had nothing but a few wet flakes here in October 2011.  A couple of miles south there was snow on the ground.

An interesting quirk is radiational cooling at night.  We are often one of the cold spots on the island a day after Westhampton records some crazy low.  Once the breeze begins to shift as high pressure starts to pass to the east, we are effectively far from the water and decouple well while the South shore maintains an onshore breeze.

During the "best" radiation nights we sometimes keep a light northerly breeze going all night.  Even so, we can be several degrees colder than a mile north of here on those nights.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

That probably had a lot to do with it.  We had a lot of white rain before it started sticking. Also I think points farther west did better.  I think NE Nassau had up to 8 or 9 inches.

The Sound helps for most of the winter, but being within a couple of miles of the Sound also gives us a longer growing season kind of like parts of CNY near Lake Ontario (but not as pronounced).  We had nothing but a few wet flakes here in October 2011.  A couple of miles south there was snow on the ground.

An interesting quirk is radiational cooling at night.  We are often one of the cold spots on the island a day after Westhampton records some crazy low.  Once the breeze begins to shift as high pressure starts to pass to the east, we are effectively far from the water and decouple well while the South shore maintains an onshore breeze.

During the "best" radiation nights we sometimes keep a light northerly breeze going all night.  Even so, we can be several degrees colder than a mile north of here on those nights.

It was treacherous driving here in SW Nassau, lots of large branches broken and lying on the roads!  6-8 inches out here, but nothing like the 14" in Freehold NJ!  Being away from the sound helped us the previous year in the Octosnowstorm too.

Thats right!  I now remember that blizzard we got in early January that was a bonafide blizzard!  Longest true blizzard conditions since January 2016!  That pattern reminded me of 1995-96 for a while until it flipped but it flipped back again just like 1996 did but not as quickly as 1996 did.  In 1996 it flipped back to cold at the end of January and we had a snowy February.  It didn't flip back to that until March in 2018.

1 hour ago, SnowGoose69 said:

That was a SWFE though.   It seems we can score in SWFEs in bad patterns.  I mean nothing was worse than 12/27/84 and 12/28/90 and NYC saw 6 in both.  If you time that disturbance ejecting right into the high over SE Canada you can get a big snow.  The classic all snow events seem hard to get without the AO/NAO/PNA in our favor 

Remember the Feb 08 SWFE?  6 inches of snow even here on the south shore!

1 hour ago, uncle W said:

December 1959 had a snowstorm on 12/21-22 with a positive ao/nao and neg pna...the January 1964 blizzard was a long duration storm about 30 hours long...February 64 had another one near 30 hours...

oh wow, 63-64 must've been an amazing el nino winter!  how much did we get in those two long duration storms?  How much in the Dec `1959  storm?

7 minutes ago, EasternLI said:

Well I'd venture a guess that climo would be one factor. It's still really early in the season. So you would probably need something more anonymous. Maybe a stronger block. Or a better PNA perhaps, along with that block.

I was thinking something like what we had in December 2003 (which was also in early December) might do it, Farmingdale picked up 20" in that two day storm.

Even that storm was touch and go because it was supposed to change to rain on the first day but stayed all snow with the mix line just 5 miles south of us the entire day!  It made for some awesome snowfall amounts because being just north of the mix line is ideal.

It dropped into the teens the next day with the storm still ongoing but the highest rates shifted east of us to central Long Island. The city ended up with 13-14 inches total with 8 inches on the first day.  That was the earliest Blizzard Warning I've ever experienced and we all had a foot plus of snow between the two days.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, uncle W said:

December 1959 had a snowstorm on 12/21-22 with a positive ao/nao and neg pna...the January 1964 blizzard was a long duration storm about 30 hours long...February 64 had another one near 30 hours...

I always forget that late Jan 2011 storm and should have added that to my list.  I remember that one also came in two parts, with around 4-5 inches in the first part and another 15 inches in the second part.

16 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

I was thinking something like what we had in December 2003 (which was also in early December) might do it, Farmingdale picked up 20" in that two day storm.

Even that storm was touch and go because it was supposed to change to rain on the first day but stayed all snow with the mix line just 5 miles south of us the entire day!  It made for some awesome snowfall amounts because being just north of the mix line is ideal.

It dropped into the teens the next day with the storm still ongoing but the highest rates shifted east of us to central Long Island. The city ended up with 13-14 inches total with 8 inches on the first day.  That was the earliest Blizzard Warning I've ever experienced and we all had a foot plus of snow between the two days.

That was a very cold -NAO/+PNA pattern for the first week of December 2003. It was the snowiest first week of December and the 11th coldest for NYC.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

I always forget that late Jan 2011 storm and should have added that to my list.  I remember that one also came in two parts, with around 4-5 inches in the first part and another 15 inches in the second part.

Similar bust on part 1 to the December 2003 storm.  Difference was part 1 of the 12/03 storm busted on temps while the first part of the January 2011 storm busted on QPF that no models saw.  The 2nd part of that December 2003 storm though majorly disappointed.  The mid levels sort of torched between part 1 and part 2 and the coastal wasn’t deep enough so snow growth was lousy and the CCB was spotty leading to two mega bands over ERN NJ near EWR and another near central LI.  In between most places saw 3-5 inches, if that.   The CCB in part 2 of January 2011 rivaled April 82/February 83.  It was just insane snow rates and a gravity wave may have played a part too much like it did in February 83 and January 04 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Similar bust on part 1 to the December 2003 storm.  Difference was part 1 of the 12/03 storm busted on temps while the first part of the January 2011 storm busted on QPF that no models saw.  The 2nd part of that December 2003 storm though majorly disappointed.  The mid levels sort of torched between part 1 and part 2 and the coastal wasn’t deep enough so snow growth was lousy and the CCB was spotty leading to two mega bands over ERN NJ near EWR and another near central LI.  In between most places saw 3-5 inches, if that.   The CCB in part 2 of January 2011 rivaled April 82/February 83.  It was just insane snow rates and a gravity wave may have played a part too much like it did in February 83 and January 04 

Yes I was really disappointed on the 2nd day of the Dec 2003 storm because I expected a HECS on the level of Jan 1996 and it never got quite that good.  It snowed lightly throughout the day and was nothing like the first day of the storm, even though it was much colder.

That's when I learned that colder temps dont necessarily mean more snowfall lol.

How much did EWR get in total?  Anything like the 20 inches across Central Long Island?

Does that sort of remind you of the last March 2018 storm that also jackpotted Central Long Island with 20 inches of snow?

That Jan 2011 storm was hall of fame worthy because all the snow that fell in the first part of the storm had melted already and we somehow still got to nearly 20" in about 5 hours of snowfall!  I remember thundersleet and even a tornado reported just south of Long Island (waterspout) just before the second part got underway, at the tail end of the rush hour.

FWIW that might have been actual hail and not thundersleet at the start of the second part of that storm!

28 minutes ago, Gravity Wave said:

The trough was a little too far east in 2014-15. I remember because I was in Ithaca as it experienced its coldest February in history while SNE was getting repeatedly crushed by storms.

I dont think the NWS ever lived down those monster totals they predicted for the Jan 2015 storm.  Good thing Jan 2016 happened to make up for it (sorry it didn't hit you also.)

There should be 'worst bust' contest.  I imagine it would come down to between March 2001 and '15.  At least it snow some in '15.  Maybe not everyone was around in 2001 to recall it, but the city went from 20 inches+ forecast to bupkis...all rain.  Some people cashed in big in both storms, just not anywhere near where they were supposed to.   

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

14-15 was a lot better (it was colder and snowier) than 13-14.  How was the evolution different between those two winters?

14-15 would have been ideal if the peak of the storms was a bit further to the south and to the west.  It went from a lackluster first half to near historic second half.

I would sign up for either in a heartbeat.

Amazing the difference in a small area. 2013 2014 was the 2nd snowiest winter in SW CT of the 2000s

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, cleetussnow said:

There should be 'worst bust' contest.  I imagine it would come down to between March 2001 and '15.  At least it snow some in '15.  Maybe not everyone was around in 2001 to recall it, but the city went from 20 inches+ forecast to bupkis...all rain.  Some people cashed in big in both storms, just not anywhere near where they were supposed to.   

If I recall correctly, the March 2001 storm wasn't a rain bust but a too far East development for snow bust...at least for more western locations. I remember listening to one of the accuwx mets saying how the storm would be moving west closer to the coast...and I kept looking at radar saying no it wont.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Spot on. Remember getting 14" in NE Bergen County when all was said and done on the morning of the 7th. Giants played the Redskins I think it was at the Meadowlands after it got dumped on with like a foot and a half of snow. Remember BIG piles on the sidelines One of the only times I felt like I got the highest amounts as a kid in that area.

Got most of it from the EWR mega band. Think they ended up with something like 14" too

• Like 1

Just now, doncat said:

If I recall correctly, the March 2001 storm wasn't a rain bust but a too far East development for snow bust...at least for more western locations. I remember listening to one of the accuwx mets saying how the storm would be moving west closer to the coast...and I kept looking at radar saying no it wont.

I thought the thing right over our heads?  (NYC that is).  I checked some historical maps - it looks like 2 frames (12 hours), the 850 low was right over NYC before it moved east.  Then it looked like it hugged the coast of LI - way too close to draw in the cold.  Upstate NY got smoked ala superstorm.  The storm whose name I shall not say...

• Like 1