Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Memory Lane

Rjay

47 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

March 2010 was probably more intense

1992 wins that but barely.  The difference in regards to the wind when comparing 1992 and 2010 was the wind direction (SE in 2010 and NE in 1992)  and much shorter duration of the strongest winds in 2010.  

• Rjay pinned this topic

5th grade. 2001. I remember that day as a normal day in class talking about the hurricane (Erin I think?) as I was a huge weather nerd. Suddenly the teachers announced the news that planes hijacked by terrorists have been crashed into both world trade centers. 

Honestly thought we were entering a war during that period. We had to leave schools early due to safety concerns and being near Washington D.C, as the elementary school I went to was only about 20-30 miles from there.

#NeverForget

Unc jogged my memory. August 1954, Hurricane Carol, I was seven. The wires on 75th Street, Bay Ridge Parkway were all above ground and on huge telephone poles. I remember, no power and being afraid. I had no concept of a hurricane being a natural event in nature. I’m afraid in my young mind I gave it metaphysical qualities and stayed very close to my mom as we sat in the dark. I remember the next day riding with my dad. He had a 1950 Buick Roadmaster, a chrome and steel tank. We rode long lengths of tenth and eleventh avenues. As I looked down the side street I saw fallen trees, crossed like swords. So many streets, it seemed to me. That strong impression always remained with me. It seemed like the east coast was a storm magnet at that time.                                        It wasn’t until  December of 1960 when my interest in the weather took hold. I was thirteen and a Freshman in Brooklyn Tech. The day  it hit I remember the sky milky white, with the sun a well camouflaged yolk. It was cold and people were starting to ramp up for the holidays. We didn’t start before Halloween at that time. If I remember correctly the storm started with intensity, in the late afternoon. By the morning, public school classes were cancelled, a miracle event at the time. Bless you Mayor Wagner. I never remember seeing that much snow. The temperature, l believe dropped to the single digits. 17.5 inches fell, based on the radio reports. To my young eyes and up to my lower calf slogging, it seemed a lot more. Maybe the CPK measurement team was in training at the time. Based on how the future turned out, they graduated with honors. Little did I know that it would be a winter to remember. A winter of natural and unnatural disasters. Sad memories of the USS Constellation fire and the Boeing 707 crash into Brooklyn, all in snow. Unc and other more competent forum members can check my data. I could have myself but why mess up a childhood memory with facts. As always ....

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, rclab said:

Unc jogged my memory. August 1954, Hurricane Carol, I was seven. The wires on 75th Street, Bay Ridge Parkway were all above ground and on huge telephone poles. I remember, no power and being afraid. I had no concept of a hurricane being a natural event in nature. I’m afraid in my young mind I gave it metaphysical qualities and stayed very close to my mom as we sat in the dark. I remember the next day riding with my dad. He had a 1950 Buick Roadmaster, a chrome and steel tank. We rode long lengths of tenth and eleventh avenues. As I looked down the side street I saw fallen trees, crossed like swords. So many streets, it seemed to me. That strong impression always remained with me. It seemed like the east coast was a storm magnet at that time.                                        It wasn’t until  December of 1960 when my interest in the weather took hold. I was thirteen and a Freshman in Brooklyn Tech. The day  it hit I remember the sky milky white, with the sun a well camouflaged yolk. It was cold and people were starting to ramp up for the holidays. We didn’t start before Halloween at that time. If I remember correctly the storm started with intensity, in the late afternoon. By the morning, public school classes were cancelled, a miracle event at the time. Bless you Mayor Wagner. I never remember seeing that much snow. The temperature, l believe dropped to the single digits. 17.5 inches fell, based on the radio reports. To my young eyes and up to my lower calf slogging, it seemed a lot more. Maybe the CPK measurement team was in training at the time. Based on how the future turned out, they graduated with honors. Little did I know that it would be a winter to remember. A winter of natural and unnatural disasters. Sad memories of the USS Constellation fire and the Boeing 707 crash into Brooklyn, all in snow. Unc and other more competent forum members can check my data. I could have myself but why mess up a childhood memory with facts. As always ....

the December 11-12th 1960 storm is still one of my favorites...16.6" in Bensonhurst...21" at Newark...15.2" in Central Park...record cold followed...then the two disasters spoiled it...it was great to be 11 years old during March 1960 to Feb. 1961 ...four cold windy snowstorms and hurricane Donna...

4 hours ago, uncle W said:

the December 11-12th 1960 storm is still one of my favorites...16.6" in Bensonhurst...21" at Newark...15.2" in Central Park...record cold followed...then the two disasters spoiled it...it was great to be 11 years old during March 1960 to Feb. 1961 ...four cold windy snowstorms and hurricane Donna...

I can never forget the raging river that was really the stairs going up to Fort Green Park during Donna. Schools were not closed for that one. I remember seeing the widest and beautiful rainbow in my Dyker Heights sky. The day the March snow storm started I was riding the Sea Beach express back from a school chums house, in Coney Island. I remember my father, that night, settling the old, yes he still had it, 50 Buick in the big alley community drive. The winds were strong with drifts already growing. Bay Ridge Parkway was a snow emergency street and the Old Man was in no mood to get towed again. Moving vehicles were banned from the streets during the emergency. A reminder of the disasters brings them right back to me. John Tillman on my black and white TV reporting, on site, the Constellation fire. The young boy Boeing 707 passenger, who only survived a couple of Days. The heartbreaking photos in the news and mirror. The fellow selling Christmas trees at the crash impact site, I believe his remains were never found. Perhaps I’m wrong but it sorta stuck with me. A dramatic fall and winter series of events, some great , some far from it and never forgotten . As always ...

1 hour ago, rclab said:

I can never forget the raging river that was really the stairs going up to Fort Green Park during Donna. Schools were not closed for that one. I remember seeing the widest and beautiful rainbow in my Dyker Heights sky. The day the March snow storm started I was riding the Sea Beach express back from a school chums house, in Coney Island. I remember my father, that night, settling the old, yes he still had it, 50 Buick in the big alley community drive. The winds were strong with drifts already growing. Bay Ridge Parkway was a snow emergency street and the Old Man was in no mood to get towed again. Moving vehicles were banned from the streets during the emergency. A reminder of the disasters brings them right back to me. John Tillman on my black and white TV reporting, on site, the Constellation fire. The young boy Boeing 707 passenger, who only survived a couple of Days. The heartbreaking photos in the news and mirror. The fellow selling Christmas trees at the crash impact site, I believe his remains were never found. Perhaps I’m wrong but it sorta stuck with me. A dramatic fall and winter series of events, some great , some far from it and never forgotten . As always ...

the morning of the March 3rd 1960 storm had a forecast for snow changing to rain on the morning TV news...I was walking on 11th Ave and 63rd St at about 8am with light snow falling...it was 27 degrees and snow was starting to drift near the curb...I said to myself how could this snow change to rain...it could have easy if a coastal that developed near Virginia and bombed out didn't...the weather bureau missed that one...That evening while listing to WMGM on the radio the disc jockey ( Scott Muni ) said 'hey kids...no school tomorrow'...

30 minutes ago, uncle W said:

the morning of the March 3rd 1960 storm had a forecast for snow changing to rain on the morning TV news...I was walking on 11th Ave and 63rd St at about 8am with light snow falling...it was 27 degrees and snow was starting to drift near the curb...I said to myself how could this snow change to rain...it could have easy if a coastal that developed near Virginia and bombed out didn't...the weather bureau missed that one...That evening while listing to WMGM on the radio the disc jockey ( Scott Muni ) said 'hey kids...no school tomorrow'...

Your memory is sharper, Unc. I do remember Scott Muni. I also remember listening, a year or two later to HOA, Herb Oscar Anderson. He had a fine morning radio broadcast. The biggest change to rain blunder I remember was a 78 Jan or Feb storm. I was a letter carrier in Brooklyn Heights and delivered two routs that day. The motto was taken seriously. It was supposed to change to rain quickly. 13.5 inches later it finally changed to freezing drizzle. As always .....

3 hours ago, rclab said:

Your memory is sharper, Unc. I do remember Scott Muni. I also remember listening, a year or two later to HOA, Herb Oscar Anderson. He had a fine morning radio broadcast. The biggest change to rain blunder I remember was a 78 Jan or Feb storm. I was a letter carrier in Brooklyn Heights and delivered two routs that day. The motto was taken seriously. It was supposed to change to rain quickly. 13.5 inches later it finally changed to freezing drizzle. As always .....

that was Jan 19-20th, 1978...only Alan kasper was worried we would get a big hit on his late night show...from Jan. 9th-Feb 7th 1978 there were six major storms that brought rain or snow or both...that was a bad month for letter carriers...

13 hours ago, uncle W said:

that was Jan 19-20th, 1978...only Alan kasper was worried we would get a big hit on his late night show...from Jan. 9th-Feb 7th 1978 there were six major storms that brought rain or snow or both...that was a bad month for letter carriers...

Thank you, Unc. I liked Mr. Casper and his style of delivery. My ‘thank you’ for delivering two routes, without even being a regular, was .... I only had to deliver one route the next day. 41 years does make a difference. As always .....

• 3 weeks later...

Lindsay and Jan 78 were the best busts when I was growing up.They expected mostly rain on both.There were many bad busts in the 60s and 70s. March 3rd 71 was supposed to be a snowstorm.We ended up with a little wet snow in the beginning,then a quick change to rain.There were a few in the late 60s with Heavy Snow Warnings and you woke up to party sunny.Stars out at night was a bad sign lol

• Thanks 1

It was so different back then.The extended forecast was 2 days.And there was no radar,so you never knew when the snow would begin or end.Now short term models can zone in on the exact minute.It was better not knowing.I'd rather not know in a week from now it's going to be a torch..Back then you only knew tonight, tomorrow and the next day.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, KEITH L.I said:

It was so different back then.The extended forecast was 2 days.And there was no radar,so you never knew when the snow would begin or end.Now short term models can zone in on the exact minute.It was better not knowing.I'd rather not know in a week from now it's going to be a torch..Back then you only knew tonight, tomorrow and the next day.

I remember all the busts good or bad...1989 had a bad bust in February and one in December...

11 hours ago, KEITH L.I said:

Lindsay and Jan 78 were the best busts when I was growing up.They expected mostly rain on both.There were many bad busts in the 60s and 70s. March 3rd 71 was supposed to be a snowstorm.We ended up with a little wet snow in the beginning,then a quick change to rain.There were a few in the late 60s with Heavy Snow Warnings and you woke up to party sunny.Stars out at night was a bad sign lol

I was in College in Ark. for the Lindsey storm and was a letter carrier for the 78, “ it’s supposed to rain disaster” I remember the radio blurbs saying the change to rain would occur very quickly. 13 inches later the were right. If you count freezing drizzle as rain.  I was only 8 months old for the Dec. 47 storm, I could look it up but maybe  Unc  knows, off hand, if that one was a surprise or, for the time, properly forecast. As always ...

4 hours ago, uncle W said:

I remember all the busts good or bad...1989 had a bad bust in February and one in December...

Remember both..Think Atlantic city got a foot of snow in Feb 89..just snow flurries here..December 89 was a Miller B..east winds killed it..Month was brutally cold between systems

4 hours ago, rclab said:

I was in College in Ark. for the Lindsey storm and was a letter carrier for the 78, “ it’s supposed to rain disaster” I remember the radio blurbs saying the change to rain would occur very quickly. 13 inches later the were right. If you count freezing drizzle as rain.  I was only 8 months old for the Dec. 47 storm, I could look it up but maybe  Unc  knows, off hand, if that one was a surprise or, for the time, properly forecast. As always ...

Think Dec 47 was correctly forecasted..I was born 11 years later,so who knows

34 minutes ago, KEITH L.I said:

Think Dec 47 was correctly forecasted..I was born 11 years later,so who knows

You must have had your first experience playing in the snow during winter 60-61. If so only photos or parents/siblings could confirm. Thank you for the reply, as always .....

5 hours ago, uncle W said:

I heard flurries was the forecast in 47...great bust...

http://bklyn.newspapers.com/image/52878037/

http://bklyn.newspapers.com/image/52878066/

Thank you for the attachments, Unc

My father told me, when I asked him about it, that it started, got heavy and just kept going. Surface transportation ground to a halt. Many of the trolly lines, still active in the city, certainly weren’t going anywhere. My dad said he hated the snow, yet he was the first one outside when the flakes started to fall. When snow was on the ground a week or so after Christmas, he would create a snow bank, place our large dried discarded tree in it and light it up. Made for quite a brief show on Bay Ridge Oarkway/75th st. Christmas tree burning was a ritual in those days, probably a felony today. Dad was a closet weenie but until his last dat with us, I would never have had the courage to tell him..  As always .....

On 9/11/2019 at 5:51 PM, LibertyBell said:

On this solemn day, one of my early weather memories was the extreme heat on 9/11/83..... I think JFK hit 100 that day?  Was that their latest 100 on record?  NYC hit 99, and I think that was their latest 99?

Well, on October 2nd we made a new weather memory that superseded the one in 1983.

• 4 weeks later...