Total Members
    Most Online
    mansour
    Newest Member
    mansour
Hoosier

January 2019 Discussion

3 hours ago, beavis1729 said:

Nice picture!  Amazing what clear skies, calm wind, and limited UHI can do.

It only dropped to 25F this morning here in the NW suburbs of Chicago, with a blanket of clouds and about 3" of snow cover. 

Dang, even I got down into the low teens.

Fog really kept temps in check earlier. As of 11PM it was only 12 degrees, fog burned off and now it’s up to 21. Snapped another really cool picture of the picturesque winter wonderland. The camera on the iPhone XS Max is remarkabale. 

52E6B301-9EDA-4E43-B47C-5F2ADA35202C.jpeg

• Like 5

Looks like an extended on/off period of FZDZ and SG possible around here, from this evening into Wednesday morning.

3 hours ago, Chinook said:

You can see the dark-shaded river valleys underneath the clouds in Illinois and Iowa, but not in some other areas

SlkqWaR.gif

You can also see the little smudge of my town just northwest of Indianapolis and south of Sugar Creek. In twenty to twenty five years our smudge will merge with Indianapolis I bet.

Total mess here this morning. Had freezing drizzle that has now turned to light snow. Everything a sheet of ice. Going to be an awesome day at work. :lol:

HRRR has been consistently showing us getting down to -20 to -21 tonight.  It's likely overdone as it's known to go overboard a bit with temps over fresh snow cover.  The timing of the ridge is nearly ideal though, and skies should remain clear.  Looks like -10 to -15 is quite attainable.  

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

HRRR has been consistently showing us getting down to -20 to -21 tonight.  It's likely overdone as it's known to go overboard a bit with temps over fresh snow cover.  The timing of the ridge is nearly ideal though, and skies should remain clear.  Looks like -10 to -15 is quite attainable.  

Agree with your thoughts. I could see -10 around 2 or 3 AM, with steady or slowly rising temps after that due to incoming cloud cover. 

IMBY, I am thinking -5...and around 0 at ORD. 

MKX is saying -15 or so windchills tomorrow morning. If I already didn't have school tomorrow I would say it would be  a 2 hour delay type of day. It's going to be interesting seeing what schools are going to do with Tuesday's snow if it doesn't move.

• Like 1

Down to -3 in Madison already at 7 PM.  Have a feeling we can blow past the forecast low of -7 especially if winds can stay calm

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Car temp read -15 just outside town a little over an hour ago while coming home.  A balmy -4 here in comparison.  

That darn Erie, IL UHI effect.

16 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

That darn Erie, IL UHI effect.

:lol:

It's amazing how much colder it gets out there in the flat open country west of town.  Would have loved to have had a thermometer out there during some of those intense arctic outbreaks in the past.

Pic from earlier

2s6aj5d.jpg

KRMY hit -21F this morning, and it tends to run about a deg on the warm side

6 hr Max/Min shown here as the (2nd) 6F/-21F

Coldest since -23F on 2/21/15 which was the unofficial modern era record

Screenshot_2019-01-21 National Weather Service Observed Weather for past 3 Days Brooks Field Airport.png