Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
January 2019 Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

4 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

would anyone have a clue why CPC stopped updating their stratosphere-troposphere monitoring web page three days ago? 

they were in operation for all the other days of this gov appropriations thing so not sure that's why here.  It's kind of annoying -

You actually just gave this weenie some hope to grab - maybe the shutdown is causing some type of fail by the models in ingesting data and we will all of a sudden return to wintery outlooks when the money starts to flow again!!! 

One can dream right!!!!

Just now, cut said:

You actually just gave this weenie some hope to grab - maybe the shutdown is causing some type of fail by the models in ingesting data and we are just getting bad data and actually the turn to winter will all of a sudden return when the money starts to flow again!!! 

One an dream right!!!!

That would probably be bad because we want the GEFS to be right. The Euro products aren't affected and they are the ones that look like kaka. 

Just now, cut said:

You actually just gave this weenie some hope to grab - maybe the shutdown is causing some type of fail by the models in ingesting data and we are just getting bad data and actually the turn to winter will all of a sudden return when the money starts to flow again!!! 

One an dream right!!!!

I actually did float an idea similar to that about a week ago but I was mainly just asking 'if' that would ever be the case.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

That would probably be bad because we want the GEFS to be right. The Euro products aren't affected and they are the ones that look like kaka. 

Unless the ECM gets it's base data/purchase from the CDC division  - 

then it may actually be the other way around. 

How's that for hope -

7 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

Agreed 1 is not going to cut it.

I don't need a blizzard, a few inches that doesnt melt by noon would be great. I have a 7 year old telling me to make it snow already. She says to me, "that is why we moved to New England right?" Lol, in Delaware she was sledding on construction dirt piles, after 1 inch of snow...

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

I don't need a blizzard, a few inches that doesnt melt by noon would be great. I have a 7 year old telling me to make it snow already. She says to me, "that is why we moved to New England right?" Lol, in Delaware she was sledding on construction dirt piles, after 1 inch of snow...

Do it for the children! For heaven’s sake! :lol:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Mini cave?

So that’s one run. What I would like to see now is the momentum continue. I don’t need massive changes fot the good, but let’s continue to build on this. I do expect some back and forth, but let’s keep the trend line on the positive side. 

11 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Lol. EPS has a good look for us at D10 while the OP has a November 1950 redux giving us southeasterly gales. 

I think we all know that the operational version tends to run a little happy amid amplification fields... perhaps owing to it's native charm.  ...I mean, D5 to 10...  Once inside there different

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I think we all know that the operational version tends to run a little happy amid amplification fields... perhaps owing to it's native charm.  

Yeah and to be fair, the ensembles have a muted sfc reflection over the OH Valley for a couple frames before it jumps offshore...so there are probably some members that go nuts up into the eastern lakes. It's just there are probably more that look like a Miller B so it eventually "wins" in the mean. 

Either way, I think we have an active pattern. We certainly haven't lacked storm activity even during our shit sandwich...eventually some of these you would think will break more wintry...both by random variance and by continuing descending climo toward peak winter. 

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah and to be fair, the ensembles have a muted sfc reflection over the OH Valley for a couple frames before it jumps offshore...so there are probably some members that go nuts up into the eastern lakes. It's just there are probably more that look like a Miller B so it eventually "wins" in the mean. 

Either way, I think we have an active pattern. We certainly haven't lacked storm activity even during our shit sandwich...eventually some of these you would think will break more wintry...both by random variance and by continuing descending climo toward peak winter. 

If things were warm and dry during this run, I would be worried that we end up dry when the cold finally shows up. Being that we have been wet since July, at some point the cold will meet the storminess and climo will take hold for a time.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

So that’s one run. What I would like to see now is the momentum continue. I don’t need massive changes fot the good, but let’s continue to build on this. I do expect some back and forth, but let’s keep the trend line on the positive side. 

It does kind of build on the small changes  at 0z but I agree continuity is key!

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Omg am I glad you said that!

Jesus ...  I mean I've been wanting to for days but ...it seems this group (if perhaps justifiably so...) is approaching inconsolable...  I was thinking exactly the same thing that even a modulation off that EPS would probably be bigger than people think...

Although that may be a little different but still ...it's also landing on climo like you said. 

then... don't look now but SSW may enter yet... and...  MJO aside, the climo of weak warm ENSO tends to favor after Jan 10 too... 
There's a lot of convergent indicators going on here, but they may not be showing in the physical presentation (or may...haven't cleaved open an ICON solution just yet...) but it seems it's hard to convey this shit when there's a dearth of focus on an actual chart.  

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Omg am I glad you said that!

Jesus ...  I mean I've been wanting to for days but ...it seems this group (if perhaps justifiably so...) is approaching inconsolable...  I was thinking exactly the same thing that even a modulation off that EPS would probably be bigger than people think...

Although that may be a little different but still ...it's also landing on climo like you said. 

then... don't look now but SSW may enter yet... and...  MJO aside, the climo of weak warm ENSO tends to favor after Jan 10 too... 
There's a lot of convergent indicators going on here, but they may not be showing in the physical presentation (or may...haven't cleaved open an ICON solution just yet...) but it seems it's hard to convey this shit when there's a dearth of focus on an actual chart.  

If we caught a few breaks in DEC with some minor/moderate events, this board wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the rest of the winter.  We're in a funk.  Reason doesn't always pair well with funks.  Objectively, looking at what you listed above, we 'should' be ready for a big turnaround.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

If we caught a few breaks in DEC with some minor/moderate events, this board wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the rest of the winter.  We're in a funk.  Reason doesn't always pair well with funks.  Objectively, looking at what you listed above, we 'should' be ready for a big turnaround.  

I said it a couple days ago and I'll say it again, but if the 1/8 event can find a way to hit SNE pretty hard with high end advisory (or better) snowfall...the collective tenor of the discussion in this forum would change drastically. Even moreso if we see the shift toward more favorable mid-month on the EPS continue the next few days. All of the sudden January would look a lot better with one good event in the bag and the 2nd half of the month looking ok. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

ahahaha... The irreconcilable differences between reason and funk ... match made in hell - 

Yeah... more than less agree.. .but, I also think part of the sensi schtick going on is that if that fails to be the grandeur in specter of peoples dystopian dreams at this point ...heh...  Thing is, a modest turn around with more normal wintry threats would also fit inside the greater-scaled envelope/paradigm shift, too.   

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

While data ingest is not a problem during the shutdown, what could be an issue is fixing problems that arise.

No development is allowed (hence why the FV3 roll out is pushed back now). A critical failure of the GFS I'm sure could be worked on, but a prominent bias couldn't be worked on.

• ORH_wxman locked and unpinned this topic