Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2019 Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

Well... perhaps the post I just made will help elucidate some of the "bad luck" causality... 

Which isn't really 'bad luck' angels on one's shoulders ...if we bother to learn and understand limitations.   

To paraphrase, the MJO gets too much emphasis as a pattern forcer.  It's more an "enhancer" ...it can help or take away... But if the surrounding medium is "out of sync" with the wave's location in space and time ... then the pattern one sees in modeling and verification alike might not look very well correlated.  

so in other words, until the EPO and/or PNA become largely in our favor the MJO in 7/8/1 or even 6 become largely just timing/luck?

16 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

so in other words, until the EPO and/or PNA become largely in our favor the MJO in 7/8/1 or even 6 become largely just timing/luck?

I'm saying that if the total hemisphere forcing was in favor of MJO 7/8/1/ and may as well through 2 in there... than the wave would behave differently moving around the diagram for one... But two, it would add to the hemisphere and the quadrature of the hemisphere that concerns N/A would amplify further do to that momentum input. 

I can't prove this outrightly from where I'm sitting... but knowing a thing or two about basic wave mechanics ... I'm willing to surmise with reasonable confidence that the opposite ...or some negative interference of some kind, has been taking place. 

• Like 2

The models really did well with this present ordeal coming down the last four days... 

I got the distinct idea that we'd see some sort of 'trowal' genesis up in Maine just from the cornucopia of guidance blend and on sat and rad that seems to be the case.  That band's probably putting down some decent rates at the door-stops of the black bear dens.

GGEM a whiff and not much improvement either.

We needed the phase...I don't think hoping it will lift out is going to work. But we're not trending toward a phase either, so we're stuck in the "no event" middle. We threaded the needle.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

We needed the phase...I don't think hoping it will lift out is going to work. But we're not trending toward a phase either, so we're stuck in the "no event" middle. We threaded the needle.

So the winter of 2018/2019 continues...

41 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

My guess is the threat is dead, but we will see one last Jason Vorhees trend to get folks like Anthony excited.

15 minutes ago, qg_omega said:

Looks like a great storm for north Carolina and Virginia, almost a copy of 12/9.  Remember, patterns like to repeat themselves and there will be more storms to impact the SE and Mid-Atlantic this winter.  Classic weak el-nino pattern.

Plenty of weak el nino seasons were also good in the mid Atlantic.

Just now, 8611Blizz said:

From a practical standpoint I hope 2015 doesn't come walking through the door. Too much in too short a time frame. If Boston gets to average I'll be grateful.  I think we have only so many historic comebacks in our lifetimes.

Ya, 2015 is not happening one bit...dont you worry about that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Plenty of weak el nino seasons were also good in the mid Atlantic.

Sure hope your outlook is correct.....cuz we in sad shape about now.  We can't buy a flake lol.  And i'm not saying or looking for 2015 either, I mean just a storm or two that can produce some snow.  Wow, this is discouraging.   

• ORH_wxman locked and unpinned this topic