Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Nov 15/16 regionwide event

RUNNAWAYICEBERG

9 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Most folks wouldn’t 

Depends on which vendor snowmap you're referring too.  A TT map showing 11 including sleet  near us is garbage.  Without looking at soundings TT looked warmer at 700 vs 850 on the regional maps.  We could conceivably get a few inches and than pound sleet.  Maybe enough lift to offset could get us 4-6.  Would hesitate going much higher.  

I remember as a kid a Boston snowstorm on Nov 15th.  I kept daily weather records when I lived in Wayland Mass just west of Boston.  Went back and look. Nov 15 1967  According to my records  ( I was 11 years old)  we had 7" of snow and temps falling from 32 in the AM to 26 in the evening.  Also said there was blowing and drifting in the PM.

3 minutes ago, CTValleySnowMan said:

Depends on which vendor snowmap you're referring too.  A TT map showing 11 including sleet  near us is garbage.  Without looking at soundings TT looked warmer at 700 vs 850 on the regional maps.  We could conceivably get a few inches and than pound sleet.  Maybe enough lift to offset could get us 4-6.  Would hesitate going much higher.  

I gave an analysis of the NAM's FRH grid a page or so ago (12z ..) and that description right that is just about precisely what it argues from roughly ASH to N. CT. to the Berks with more snow west. 

My personal feelings on this is that the 'correction vector' is pointed colder profiled.   How long that vector is (meaning...how much correction) may not be huge... but, it's pointed colder. 

Boy I'll tell ya... if that high were any more belated in departure, that vector would get huge in a hurry. 

Usually for warm expectations, cutting a 500 mb v-max under the S Coast with nascent boundary layer polar air in place ...doesn't end too well for the warm expectation.  ;) 

Not that Kevin needs validation, but based on guidance right now (weighing 0z Euro + 12z 12k/3kNAM + 12z RGEM): I wouldn't be surprised if watches show up for parts of interior SNE...

Maybe we are trigger shy with this season opener, but last night's Euro would support it

It's all about 800-750mb temps in the 0z-6z timeframe and intensity of initial WAA thump. if everything caves towards GFS this afternoon, then no

Just now, wxsniss said:

Not that Kevin needs validation, but based on guidance right now (weighing 0z Euro + 12z 12k/3kNAM + 12z RGEM): I wouldn't be surprised if watches go up for much of interior SNE...

Maybe we are trigger shy with this season opener, but last night's Euro would support it

It's all about 800-750mb temps in the 0z-6z timeframe and intensity of initial WAA thump. if everything caves towards GFS this afternoon, then no

This is probably going to be a season that manufactures plowable out of a quail queef.

11 minutes ago, CTValleySnowMan said:

I think 4 or 5” is max for our area 

5 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Not on my comp right now, but how does that compare to the RGEM meteocenter maps of liquid equiv as snow?

It's actually pretty accurate this time. The rgem def shows a lot of snow but the soundings are marginal. It's just blasting SNE with a WCB fire hose. 

IMG_2041.GIF

yup, the backside of this thing is actually not too terribly cold...  so, it may bounce mild and drippy ... 

Classic cold advection offsetting during solar nadir time of year out there.   We set stage...   Many Davis' are parked at 32 with brilliant albeit sloped oblique sun.   The advection terms can control the diurnal temperature variation now through about mid or end of Feb. 

nice Novie gem here...   

We're not going to get a cut-and-dry event (that often... ) in November.  It's good to get this and gin up the analytics engine for what I feel is going to be an abnormally active winter. We're gonna need it. 

But, we run risk of over thinking the models - or thinking we can.  Sometimes hunches and intuition and experience team up and score personal/collective coups...sometimes, nah so much. 

The NAM FOUS QPF is over an inch at Logan and as I outlined the linear mean of the temperature, at respective levels, between there and ALB, most of that falls frozen/freezing prior to any tale ending mist.  That should be warning ... if for no other reason...  shear PR and public prep being at a premium at this time of year.  

So I dunno... but this is sure fun!

• Like 2