• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November 15 Snow/Ice Chance

showmethesnow

I can't wait to deal with sleet-mageddon down this way. Sure, we'll mix with a touch of snow at the onset, but most soundings I've seen are super sleet-y around CHO. Then it changes over to ZR before going to cold rain. It'll be interesting to see just how much sleet we can get (currently thinking 0.3-0.5") and if that cold rain can create some decent sheets of ice.

At least this is a good test run for future winter weather events around here! 

• Like 3

All models today are so borderline witb mid level temps that it's nearly impossible to have confidence. The optimistic side of the coin is snow moves in hot and heavy and lasts a little longer than expected before mixing. Pessimistic side of the coin is mid levels don't support any snow at onset and it's just a bunch of sleet before rain. 

Surface temps are no different. The euro had the 32 line straddling the beltway. That's pretty cold man. If the column does support snow and the surface is at or below freezing then it could be winter wonderland very quickly for everyone along and west of 95. 

The basic climo side of the argument says prepare to be disappointed except in the preferred zones where climo isn't so hostile. 

Lastly is precip amounts... this is a juiced up storm with upper level support. Rates look to come in hot and heavy with the WWA piece. So whatever the precip type is its going to mean business from onset until sometime in the early afternoon. 

Gun to head.... Winchester-Mt airy-Parkville line will get 3-5" of various frozen precip types. Burbs and beltway crews in the 1-3" range if everything breaks right but T-2" is prob a better call. 

Fairfax county schools will be closed even if its all rain. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Wonderdog said:

My bar is 2 inches of anything cold. Always nice to record anything before Turkey day.

Except rain which will also be cold.  Still I think our location is not awful.  Not great but we might be able to hang on to frozen in W PW for a decent amount of time.  1 inch of something frozen.  Good enough for me. And a short period of fatties.

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

All models today are so borderline witb mid level temps that it's nearly impossible to have confidence. The optimistic side of the coin is snow moves in hot and heavy and lasts a little longer than expected before mixing. Pessimistic side of the coin is mid levels don't support any snow at onset and it's just a bunch of sleet before rain.  

Surface temps are no different. The euro had the 32 line straddling the beltway. That's pretty cold man. If the column does support snow and the surface is at or below freezing then it could be winter wonderland very quickly for everyone along and west of 95. 

The basic climo side of the argument says prepare to be disappointed except in the preferred zones where climo isn't so hostile.  

Lastly is precip amounts... this is a juiced up storm with upper level support. Rates look to come in hot and heavy with the WWA piece. So whatever the precip type is its going to mean business from onset until sometime in the early afternoon.  

Gun to head.... Winchester-Mt airy-Parkville line will get 3-5" of various frozen precip types. Burbs and beltway crews in the 1-3" range if everything breaks right but T-2" is prob a better call.  

Fairfax county schools will be closed even if its all rain. 

I remember those days.

21 minutes ago, Scraff said:

My bar is set at dusting to an inch. Think that’s reasonable. And in other bar news, I’ll be at the Columbia Alehouse drinking Founders CBS while it’s hopefully puking white asteroids. :drunk:

My favorite bar around us... such a damn good burger and great beers and a nice atmosphere - we gotta meet up one day

9 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

I would like to see a real ZR event with temp of 20.  Not too common in these parts.  28-32 is just watching my holly tree get shimmery 

I'm roughly 12 miles to your east Southeast so I will be able to report on my change over so you know what's headed your way.

• Haha 1

Just now, leesburg 04 said:

Can't hate the fact that this thing has continued to trend in a favorable fashion regardless of the snow outcome. I don't know if that's a sign or not for the winter but it sure does make the lead up a heck of a lot more enjoyable. 

Atmosphere seems to go by memory so maybe a foreshadowing of D/J/F.  Or maybe we're using all our good luck up with this storm.

My bar is seeing some type of frozen fall from the sky in MBY given its not even the second half of November yet. I wish I was at Deep Creek for this one.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Stormpc said:

I'm roughly 12 miles to your east Southeast so I will be able to report on my change over so you know what's headed your way.

Thanks.  Jeb used to do that.  I live just south of Wonderdog.  Let’s hope the freezing line stays right along 95.

After looking over some things since the 12Z runs I have to wonder if the bigger story might be the ice/sleet storm that some people get. Have a feeling that we will see a band 25-50 miles wide of a fairly significant ice storm shaping up centered on or near the cities. Also leaning towards the favored areas to the west and around PA line actually have warning criteria snows.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Thanks.  Jeb used to do that.  I live just south of Wonderdog.  Let’s hope the freezing line stays right along 95.

I'm probably five or so miles NW of you Bristow. Those five miles may be the difference between a white icy landscape and puddles and puddles of ice cold rain. lol

5 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Is there really an 18z euro?

Yes.  Looking at it now. Precip comes in quickly and cools the column nicely...850s in DC go from +1 to -3 from 9z to 12z.  But surface is 34 in the city and warms to 36 in the afternoon.  You stay at/below freezing at the surface until overnight into Friday.  

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic