Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
November Discobs Thread

George BM

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

At 2:19 pm, Baltimore had picked up 0.68" precipitation. That brings total precipitation for 2018 to 62.36". As a result, 2018 is now Baltimore's 2nd wettest year on record. Prior to today, 1889 when 62.35" precipitation was recorded was the 2nd wettest year on record.

In addition, Baltimore picked up 1.7" snow. That breaks the daily snowfall record of 1.2", which was set in 1908. Today's snowfall was also Baltimore's biggest snowfall this early in the season since 6.0" fell on November 11, 1987.

• Like 3

From LWX:

Here are the current rankings for wettest year on record
(through November 15th):
Baltimore MD area (BWI)
1. 63.01 inches (2018)
2. 62.66 inches (2003)
3. 62.35 inches (1889)
4. 58.98 inches (1979)

Weather records for the Baltimore MD area have been kept at
what is now Baltimore-Washington International Thurgood Marshall
Airport (BWI) since 1950. Precipitation records observed
downtown extend the period of record back to 1871.

• WxUSAF pinned this topic
57 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

BWI hit 29 this morning.  Nice.  It's got that classic November morning look to it.  

I love the look and feel of late fall, with a crisp chill in the air, and the low sun angle. Winter is on the way. 

There was a cool misty/frosty look this morning. Took this pic of the farm behind my property.

sun.thumb.jpg.c86a1b317f896e73b0ef71ea4e6cb2fd.jpg

• Like 10

1 hour ago, WVclimo said:

Third day of snow cover here.  Really unusual for mid-November.

Same here...south facing hills are bare but everywhere else is pretty much 1-2".  Im sure today will probably wipe most of it out but I know out your way had an addition 1-2".... Impressive. 

17 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Big piles will surely be here for Turkey day . No big warm up and it will be awesome to see some snow still and a true artic airmass on the big day...perfect to get one in the holiday mood ..right?

I'm chasing cold up in CT on Wednesday. Low 20's for highs on thurs sounds great while a fire burns in the fireplace and NFL on TV. Looking forward to the trip and will no doubt take a low teens jebwalk.  

Awesome! Enjoy
I chased Nemo years back up there .well worth it . If I hit the lotto I'd buy a cabin up just north in Worcester, MassB) and 1 in the Tugs while I'm at it lol
It might not get past the mid 20s here near the M/D line  if colder guidance is right. If true ...definitely near record territory 

Where did you chase that storm? I was in Waltham, Mass for that one. 31.5” and 6-8’ drifts later, still one of the best weather experiences of my life.

54 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Big piles will surely be here for Turkey day . No big warm up and it will be awesome to see some snow still and a true artic airmass on the big day...perfect to get one in the holiday mood ..right?

We are living the life...brief warm ups are becoming the exception not the rule

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Near Waterbury, Ct along i84

East of there really got crushed if I remember correctly 

Gotcha. Yes, that corridor along I-95 north of Samford got absolutely blitzed. 40" of snow and 6"/hr rates were reported. I did a case study on that in college for my radar class. It was fascinating. There were reports of soft hail in that band that set up. Some of the greatest frontogenesis you will ever see in a storm bar none. 

4 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

Gotcha. Yes, that corridor along I-95 north of Samford got absolutely blitzed. 40" of snow and 6"/hr rates were reported. I did a case study on that in college for my radar class. It was fascinating. There were reports of soft hail in that band that set up. Some of the greatest frontogenesis you will ever see in a storm bar none. 

What is soft hail?

1 minute ago, gopper said:

What is soft hail?

Soft hail are basically snow pellets. It's super-cooled water droplets that coalesce and cover a snowflake. The ones from this event accompanied the insanely large flakes that dumped over the region. Graupel is soft hail. It's pretty cool when you look at it closely. It's basically a rimed over snowflake. 

• Thanks 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic