• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August Discobs Thread

George BM

around 6am or so? yeah, i saw it yesterday. I assume birds. 

Yes...I can’t say that it has happened every day but most mornings here recently it has. I agree, it has to some type of wildlife. Strange tho that birds would fan out in a perfect circle....

Maybe they are scrambling to bulk up before the bay freezes over in December!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, poolz1 said:

Yes...I can’t say that it has happened every day but most mornings here recently it has. I agree, it has to some type of wildlife. Strange tho that birds would fan out in a perfect circle....

They don’t fan out in a circle, it is the angle of the radar beam that makes it look like that.  As the birds go up in altitude the intersection of the beam with the birds gets further away from the radar, making it look like a circle when applied to a flat plane.

They don’t fan out in a circle, it is the angle of the radar beam that makes it look like that.  As the birds go up in altitude the intersection of the beam with the birds gets further away from the radar, making it look like a circle when applied to a flat plane.

Gotcha...didn’t know that. That certainly makes more sense ...rather than mysterious bird circles in the sky. Lol

13 hours ago, poolz1 said:

was gonna explain why it looks that way, but i see mntransplant already did. :)

59 minutes ago, mappy said:

was gonna explain why it looks that way, but i see mntransplant already did. :)

Last comment about the birds...I promise.  If you look at COD radar on 48 frames you can see several of these circles and they look to line up with the Susquehanna river up to Harrisburg. I'll see if I can find a bird forum for future posts...I'm sure the folks in there will have as good of a sense of humor as this place.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

Last comment about the birds...I promise.  If you look at COD radar on 48 frames you can see several of these circles and they look to line up with the Susquehanna river up to Harrisburg. I'll see if I can find a bird forum for future posts...I'm sure the folks in there will have as good of a sense of humor as this place.

There is a very small field of researchers that use radar and other remote sensing to analyze animal movement (mostly birds/bats).  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeroecology

• Like 3

In Virginia right now near Dulles airport for a small two day trip. Tomorrow I'm going with family to the air and space museum and some exploring. I think the national weather service Sterling is only 3 miles away..

I might send some pics. 

14 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

It was 52 at 6am . I could see my breath...lol   I just took a deep breath and took it all in. My kind of morning .

53 here this morning.  Felt like a fall fishing morning....On the water with sweatshirts and stocking caps at 7am and T-shirts and sunblock by noon.

• Like 1

With a little over half-an inch today, I am at 8.97" for the month.  Which makes it the wettest month I have measured since moving to this location in August 2006.  Four of the top seven months have happened since May.

1)  08/2018: 8.97"

2)  07/2017: 8.85"

3)  04/2011: 8.78"

4)  06/2018: 8.10"

5)  06/2014: 7.93"

6)  05/2018: 7.58"

7)  07/2018: 7.34"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WeatherLovingDoc said:

Hello americanwx experts! Will someone please post a model addressing the temperatures/weather over the next 5 to 7 days? What is it going to be like? That's why we come here to americanwx in part. Not just for storms, but for warnings and weather! Tyvm. 

I'm confused what you're asking for.

13 hours ago, WeatherLovingDoc said:

Hello americanwx experts! Will someone please post a model addressing the temperatures/weather over the next 5 to 7 days? What is it going to be like? That's why we come here to americanwx in part. Not just for storms, but for warnings and weather! Tyvm.

To be honest, we mostly just discuss high-end events here and otherwise banter around.  For actual forecasts, go here:

https://www.weather.gov/lwx/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/?utm_term=.ba5dba83440d

There are a whole bunch of sites that have the various models, my favorites are:

http://weather.cod.edu/forecast/

https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/virginia/

If you only want the raw numbers:

http://coolwx.com/cgi-bin/getbufr.cgi?region=VA&stn=KDCA&model=nam&time=current&field=2meter

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

If by high-end you mean tropical remnants during hurricane season, gusty showers during severe season, and moisture starved clippers during winter, you're spot on. :P:lol:

You will love the 2040's climatology I think. Just hang in there you won't be disappointed my man.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic