• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 11-12 Storm - Model Discussion STORM MODE

stormtracker

Looking through past model runs, it seems like we've come full cycle.  Last Sunday the 12z GFS run got us excited with a northern stream wave that dropped below us, closed off, and gave us lots of snow on Monday the 12th.  Then by 12z Wednesday it had shifted to a front-running southern wave that gave us snow starting on Sunday the 11th.  The 12z H5 maps today look closer to the idea the GFS had last Sunday than last Wednesday.  The three GFS runs (12z Sunday the 4th, 12z Wednesday the 7th, 12z today) are shown below for comparison.

ssG2jGy.gif

The evolution beyond that point is a little different today than it was last Sunday.  No model is currently showing the fully captured closed off bomb the GFS showed last Sunday, but the 3k NAM just showed how we could still get a good outcome from this setup.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, ers-wxman1 said:

These are NOT blanket statements! They are concerns. Real ones. Notice your statement...historical events. Right and perfect conditions, perfect setup. It doesn’t happen too often this late in the season. 

I think we all realize dynamic systems that puke snow work best during peak sun hours in mid March when temps are marginal. At the opposite end is the St. Patricks day storm a few years ago that featured anomalous cold- it snowed only moderately here and accumulated very efficiently from late morning through late afternoon with temps in the low to mid 20s. 

IMO what the 3k NAM is depicting probably wont be very close to reality, but if it did go down that way- pretty long duration with varying rates- there would still be some decent accumulations, maybe 4-5", rather than the 10-12 that might occur in the heart of winter or with with colder temps . Some melting would be expected with lighter rates during the mid afternoon. We all get it. No one here would argue that. It still would be a nice event verbatim.

5 minutes ago, packfan98 said:

RGEM looks to stay flat this run.

Drives the primary further north. Looks a little better at the surface. Better at h5.  Still misses. It's okay. It trended better. Every model I have seen has trended slightly better or just plain better since 6z this morning. Nothing is set in stone and we all know that. 

55 minutes ago, WeathermanB said:

I do remember DT wxrisk saying something about a "rex block" which would only allow so much NW shifts on the models.

53 minutes ago, rcflyermd68 said:

yes he mentions that on every update gets kinda of tiresome

I lol at people that say that. A Rex block encourages a track suppressed to the extent it's unlikely a storm cuts to Detroit. But there have been storms that tracked too north for richmond and even D.C. In a Rex block.  

Blocking is a hemispheric level thing. The exact track of a synoptic storm is more detailed. The difference between a track 50 miles off hatteras and one 50 miles inside is nothing. You wouldn't even notice the difference in the location or amplitude of a block that creates such a small difference in track.  

19 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I'm not sure why we have to do this every.single.year. I mean yea, it can totally suck and not accumulate in March. I AGREE. But that's not what the 3k showed. Blanket statements that have been proven false over and over again get on my nerves. If it's light snow during the day in March it usually doesn't work. We can all agree on that. But there are dozens of historical events that proven the blanket statement false. The truth will set you free. 

My concerns are that the heavy bands miss us like the consensus of globals and any light fringe stuff won't overcome march. If it goes down like 3k we're good. I'm trying out the JI theory with this that we did better when im was more of a skeptic. It's working so far since last night.   I'm gonna downplay this right into a paste thump.

I do have concerns until I see more results like 3k and consistent. 

10 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I think we all realize dynamic systems that puke snow work best during peak sun hours in mid March when temps are marginal. At the opposite end is the St. Patricks day storm a few years ago that featured anomalous cold- it snowed only moderately here and accumulated very efficiently from late morning through late afternoon with temps in the low to mid 20s. 

IMO the what the 3k NAM is depicting probably wont be very close to reality, but if it did go down that way- pretty long duration with varying rates- there would still be some decent accumulations, maybe 4-5", rather than the 10-12 that might occur in the heart of winter or with with colder temps . Some melting would be expected with lighter rates during the mid afternoon. We all get it. No one here would argue that. It still would be a nice event verbatim.

Good post. When I make the March complexities comments, I make them from more of an transportation impacts perspective vs what falls IMBY. Nature of my job and communicating of risks and what constitutes high impact vs low or medium. I’m always thinking like the partners do and I brief and what they deem significant. 

1 minute ago, PDIII said:

Bob chill... You are a looser. You are all loosers. You're talking about maps like you're about to jerk off to them. You probably all are! It's really strange that all of you do this... This whole thing... Get a life!!! Don't bother responding, I'm not checking this later..like you guys do..lol. I'm going to go enjoy living... You know, in the real world. I said what I need to, have fun chumps. Hahahaha

If you're going to try and "intelligently" insult people then the first thing you should do is take an English class and learn the difference between the word "lose" and "loose". Then get back to us. 

Just now, BaltimoreWxGuy said:

GFS in my opinion won’t be quite as good as 12z but close

It's all about that lakes disturbance. It's coming in further east and not behind the system. That will push the coastal further off the coast at our latitude before pulling it back for the northeast. 

Archived