Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 11-12 Storm - Model Discussion STORM MODE

stormtracker

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

3k NAM is either stalling the coastal or having some feedback issues. Looks impressive either way lol.

it basically phases or partially phases off the coast of virginia with that upper level energy diving down on the backside as opposed to some of the other solutions that want to try to do that either further up the coast or not at all.

25 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

L7THX8r.png

well now.

This forum is like a train wreck.  It is impossible to look away.  

This map is very very pretty.  How does the 3K show the evolution of the storm?  Is it a secondary Low off the coast?  And is this even possible when everyone says its not going north of Baltimore (unless it redevelops off of Ocean City on Tuesday and heads to the NE, thus screwing the DC area).

1 minute ago, snowmagnet said:

This forum is like a train wreck.  It is impossible not to look away.  

This map is very very pretty.  How does the 3K show the evolution of the storm?  Is it a secondary Low off the coast?  And is this even possible when everyone says its not going north of Baltimore (unless it redevelops off of Ocean City on Tuesday and heads to the NE, thus screwing the DC area).

The 3k basically develops it off OBX and nearly bombs this system out. It also moves slowly.

20 minutes ago, packfan98 said:

I've never seen the 12km and 3km look so different.  I would lean towards the hi res 3km most of the time.  Pretty clown maps to salivate over at least:

sn10_acc.us_ma.png

here's the 12km for comparison:

sn10_acc.us_ma.png

Wow, that is crazy-looking!  Caveats aside on the 10:1 ratio and all...it's like that entire section of heavy snow extending well northeastward from about southwest VA on the 3-km simply does not exist on the 12-km.  Like a missing puzzle piece or something.  I mean, it literally would fit right into that "void" on the 12-km!

Just now, gymengineer said:

3/25/14- 1.7” on .29” liquid at DCA and 3.8” on .41” liquid at IAD. Happened entirely during daytime hours. 

I'm not sure why we have to do this every.single.year. I mean yea, it can totally suck and not accumulate in March. I AGREE. But that's not what the 3k showed. Blanket statements that have been proven false over and over again get on my nerves. If it's light snow during the day in March it usually doesn't work. We can all agree on that. But there are dozens of historical events that proven the blanket statement false. The truth will set you free. 

I have been ready to pull my hair out with this storm. I am the Chief Meteorologist at WOAY located in Oak Hill, WV. WE cover the southeastern counties of West Virginia and I have never in my life seen such a difference. I know agreement is coming in better but still lots of "who knows" still.  :wacko:

Hate to jump into the sun angle argument but in my experience here in March and before when I lived in Boston - if the rates are approaching 0.5-1" per hour it will accumulate in March so long as the temp is close to 32 degrees. Lighter than that and it's often not enough to keep up with melting. Verbatim, that 3k run would accumulate just fine on non-paved surfaces and if rates jump up to >1"/hr it would also accumulate on the roads. And by those rates I mean rates of ideal accumulation assuming BL comfortably below 32 and without solar radiation.

Now we need to see if other models provide support for this solution or if it's just a fantasy run

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I'm not sure why we have to do this every.single.year. I mean yea, it can totally suck and not accumulate in March. I AGREE. But that's not what the 3k showed. Blanket statements that have been proven false over and over again get on my nerves. If it's light snow during the day in March it usually doesn't work. We can all agree on that. But there are dozens of historical events that proven the blanket statement false. The truth will set you free. 

You know better.  I know better.  The majority of the people on this forum know better.  That's all that  matters.  No point in wasting a headache on this.   On to the GFS!

4 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

These are NOT blanket statements! They are concerns. Real ones. Notice your statement...historical events. Right and perfect conditions, perfect setup. It doesn’t happen too often this late in the season. Not much at this latitude.

1 minute ago, wxtylerb said:

I have been ready to pull my hair out with this storm. I am the Chief Meteorologist at WOAY located in Oak Hill, WV. WE cover the southeastern counties of West Virginia and I have never in my life seen such a difference. I know agreement is coming in better but still lots of "who knows" still.  :wacko:

It's crazy.  I've been following this stuff for a while and I'm sure there have been other cases, but I can't remember it being this bad.

10 minutes ago, ers-wxman1 said:

That run occurred very early in the AM, ended midday. Difference from dumping during peak hours.

There were two 3/25 storms, in 2013 and 2014.  Where I'm at, the 3/25/2013 was early morning (pre-dawn) and continued through much of the morning, in fact I recall it even ended as some light rain.  Around 4" fell at my location from that through mid-morning.  In 2014, it snowed in the early morning at a good clip, then a bit of a lull, then we got another nice round late afternoon into early evening.  I got around 3" from that event.

ETA:  Hope you don't interpret my comment as disagreement, just stating what happened on the suburban NW side of DC.  And much of that snow did occur at the non-peak daylight times, to be sure.  I certainly get what you're saying, and short of us having extremely cold air in place, we'll need good rates to accumulate if much of this event occurs mid-day (that is, IF it occurs, of course!).

17 minutes ago, snowmagnet said:

This forum is like a train wreck.  It is impossible not to look away.  

Knowledgeable folks talking about models for what they are. Not a train wreck at all. We all have choices if you don’t like what you read.

13 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

You know better.  I know better.  The majority of the people on this forum know better.  That's all that  matters.  No point in wasting a headache on this.   On to the GFS!

Great comeback

14 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

2 minutes ago, 87storms said:

it's interesting that the storm got delayed like this and that may have played a big role in these late trends.  helps to relax that 50/50 low and also allows the GL vort to play catch up.

I said that the other day...delayed=more time for a possible phase, the 50/50 kicker to move out more and the storm to gain latitude. This went from a Sunday late afternoon to overnight event to Monday morning to Monday night at the earliest 

Archived