Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The King Regains its Throne

40/70 Benchmark

8 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

Serious question:

Last night between 6:00 and 10:00pm I was at my girlfriends house.  Her house is literally situated about 20 feet from a lake (one mile in length x 1/2 mile wide, and not frozen at the time), and surrounded by very tall pines.  When I showed up there it was puking a heavy, wet snow. It was blowing off of the lake, and by the time I left 4 hours later there just was not much to show for it...maybe an inch.  The temp at her place was 34F, and when I was about  half mile from her place, the temp dropped to 32F, and there was a good 3 or more inches of snow in the surrounding area.   

Is it the combination of the lake and the trees that keep the temp the way it was?

I think you answered your own question. Her temp was 34F versus 32F and she was downwind of an unfrozen lake. You should ask Eek about his Octobomb total versus mine. 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, wxsniss said:

Wow this final band taking residence over eastern MA 5-7am salvaged alot of forecasts! And sealed the  decision to close most schools.

RAP really did hint at this

Also much better accumulation with temps 29-32 instead of 33-34

Scenes from Brookline MA:

5aa12e802aa34_IMG_7659smaller.jpeg.b11e68c3977459a6008be1e2f0cd5bc4.jpeg

5aa12e82d2483_IMG_7662smaller.thumb.jpg.0b6fe6da83fd6d08dd50e51a4b1c1e41.jpg

As usual great pics!   I told folks we’d bliizzard last evening.   Everybody leaves and it’s raining.   I meet my friend for dinner in chestnut hill and he tells the hostess I’m s met.   She says when is th e snow coming?   I tell her about an hour.   To the minute it flipped and went crazy almost immediately.   Looking forward to the congrats at work shortly.   And since I’m the boss, there’s only so much dissing that folks will do if it doesn’t work out...lol.

1 hour ago, Cold Miser said:

Just under 6" total here (5.75?)  

Luckily I stayed the course and did not get sucked into the 10-12 calls by some. Good call by Wiz (Paul) the other day with his map, and the same with NWS with their cut-back 2 days ago, before they went all nuclear with the higher totals again yesterday morning.  

Looks like wsw criteria was met everywhwere

14 minutes ago, DomNH said:

Few outages in Nashua even though we got nailed. Losing the man paste after the first 6 or so inches was a savior. 

Plenty of damage on my street. But yeah the top 10" is pretty dry

Also saw the Hudson COOP came in with 16.9" on 1.39 LEQ

1 hour ago, JC-CT said:

Still no power. Took a while to find a non-tree-contaminated spot to measure. 11.25 otg plus the .25 that never happened, 11.5 total - consistent with the other PNS report of 12.2. Spots under trees had up to 6" less. No wonder there are multiple downed power lines across town.

I had a tree come down and just missed my house.

@The 4 Seasons

Damn that must have been scary. Nice max Hammer Nailz you Kev

7 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Looks like wsw criteria was met everywhwere

Yeah. Seems so.  Was an interesting ride last night going from Manchester back to Killingly along rte 44.

It was a good display of winter weather in elevation and micro climates.  I left work at about 4:30 with maybe 1 inch on the ground in Manchester.  As I drove 44 through Bolton ...Coventry...Mansfield...Ashford...Pomfret...Killingly and all points between it was crazy seeing the temps rise and fall and repeat, and snow fall and accumulate in some spots and then turn to rain in others.  I wish I had a way to have filmed that ride and done a time lapse.  It would have been cool to see.

2 minutes ago, weathafella said:

As usual great pics!   I told folks we’d bliizzard last evening.   Everybody leaves and it’s raining.   I meet my friend for dinner in chestnut hill and he tells the hostess I’m s met.   She says when is th e snow coming?   I tell her about an hour.   To the minute it flipped and went crazy almost immediately.   Looking forward to the congrats at work shortly.   And since I’m the boss, there’s only so much dissing that folks will do if it doesn’t work out...lol.

Great recounting! I had very similar.

Coworkers left last night amused and skeptical. I told them "patience, I'm telling you it's coming... make sure to look out your window at 9pm". Like clockwork I get a slew of text messages amazed at the dramatic change of scenery 9pm.

I still went to bed feeling mortified that my 6-10 call for Boston metro would bust too high. But RAP had some truth... those bands between 2-7am salvaged this for me... and schools that had been on the fence at 2am decided to close by dawn, so the perception of impact is there too lol...

Airport readings per NWS: [7a Snow Airport Observations] #Boston: 5.9", #Providence: 2.3", #Hartford: 8.7"

So guaranteed Logan is ≥6", and larger metro area 6-10"!

Archived