Newest Member
    joxey
The King Regains its Throne

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Understood. But There is no elevation difference between me, newtown, bethel, it’s all 400-600’...not until you go to nw side of danbury up to new fairfield where you get 800-1000’. 

I can verify 21” in Ridgefield 850’ and 24” in New Fairfield 800’ and a 21” in Sherman at slightly lower elevation. The 24” in Newtown seems off though.

3 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Understood. But There is no elevation difference between me, newtown, bethel, it’s all 400-600’...not until you go to nw side of danbury up to new fairfield where you get 800-1000’. 

Actually that 200 foot change in elevation can make all the difference in the world.  My house is at about 500 ish ft and couple miles away maybe 300 ish.....Can definitely see difference in totals.  Every storm there is an imaginary line where snow sticks/accumulates more.

Just now, WintersComing said:

Actually that 200 foot change in elevation can make all the difference in the world.  My house is at about 500 ish ft and couple miles away maybe 300 ish.....Can definitely see difference in totals.  Every storm there is an imaginary line where snow sticks/accumulates more.

I’m 540’ so I get it but nothing in Newtown is 800’ to justify some magical 2 footer. Unless Spanky can verify it, i call BS.

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I’m 540’ so I get it but nothing in Newtown is 800’ to justify some magical 2 footer. Unless Spanky can verify it, i call BS.

There is some 750s there. You would be surprised the elevation differences that exist within every town. It's not all 400-600, more like 150-800+. It all depends on where the measurement is taken within the town.

Anyone from tolland who reads the PNS reports is probably frequently confused why the NWS always reports 3" more than what they actually got. But we all know it's because some weenie bought a house on top of the highest hill he could find just to get higher snow totals.

3 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Also it seems like there was all these small little meso's rotating all over the place which might also explain the randomness of the totals??

1 minute ago, JC-CT said:

Anyone from tolland who reads the PNS reports is probably frequently confused why the NWS always reports 3" more than what they actually got. But we all know it's because some weenie bought a house on top of the highest hill he could find just to get higher snow totals.

lmao

Man that deform band snow.  I have no idea how you do a liquid analysis of that much snow but the CoCoRAHS reports are pretty decent ratios.  Like 0.75-1.25" QPF to 20-30" of snow.

Up this way we did better than I thought with QPF... the local CoCoRAHS had 6.0" snow on 0.59" liquid for an even 10:1.  But it's still snowing so might be able to push 10" when all is said and done.

Cleared 12.0" off the board at 7 AM, with 1.12" LE.  Appeared to come at 1-1.5"/hr overnight as all but maybe 1/2" came after 10 PM.  Farmington co-op reported 13.7" at 7 AM.  Office had delayed opening - 10 AM - and by the time I'd blown most of the driveway (rest can wait for this evening) and headed south at 8:30 another 2.5" was down.  While on the way I heard public radio update - due to dangerous conditions the State had decided to ax the entire day.  Once I was up Mile Hill it was downslope most of the way to Augusta, so I kept going - latest fire drill from across the river gives me lots to do.  Snow rates on the commute ranged from light (Rome, North Belgrade) to heavy (coming in to Augusta) and has been moderate and occasionally light since.  Only 6" on the parking lot, and because it was unplowed when I arrived, I missed a narrow driveway by a foot or two and went over the curbing, cushioned by snow so no foul.

GYX forecast for my area was 10-17", and we should end up near the high end.  Nice upper-20s powder, loading the firs but not bending the hardwoods. 

Archived