Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The King Regains its Throne

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, jbenedet said:

Not here. That band extends up into SE NH, despite the poor radar returns still getting moderate here.

I'm not so sure it's poor radar returns as it is the beam from BOX and GYX is just overshooting the band. 

But everything becoming more shallow is a sign we're starting to trend this down.

11 minutes ago, SlantStick said:

Crushed! Verifying on the upper end here! Never seen snow pile that high on the railings!

IMG_20180308_064031254.jpg

Sweet.

I've concluded that being at Pit2 in a storm with wind is not great to watch from an accumulation standpoint.  On the plus side, all the snow you see in the air is actually falling snow rather than a combination of falling and blowing.  To that end, we are ripping here with winds howling.  Snow coming in nearly horizontally.  I need to get a real station here.

29*, still now word from my wife at the Pit.

It doesn't look like much more accumulated after my last measurement last night. Including yesterday morning's foretaste, 11" seems like a fair measurement. My poor bushes are bent to the ground, hopefully not permanently, but at least we lost no trees IMBY. The highlight for me will be the best thundersnow of my life, just an instant intense blue flash and bang! Really curious to see the totals that come out of that deform area, especially up in SVT. My uncle has a place at 2000 ft near Magic, and I'm betting it's epic there.

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

I'm not so sure it's poor radar returns as it is the beam from BOX and GYX is just overshooting the band. 

But everything becoming more shallow is a sign we're starting to trend this down.

definitely lightening here in Dover just in the last few minutes.  was moderate when i woke up but visibility has improved.  im in downtown dover though and i see a heavier band just nw of town

4 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

Wow that is not much!  I'd assume not so much more in Boscawen...should help I hope, with my move today.  I hope the movers are hardy New Englanders because there is a good bit more here in Dovah.

I’m surprised we have this much considering where we were at midnight. Still accumulating nicely too. 29F

28 minutes ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

I'm on the other end of Nashua as Dom.  Measured 10.5".  The bottom couple inches are like cement.  So maybe I round up to 12" due to compacting.

Did you measure on pavement? Because there's definitely less on pavement but the deck is pretty impressive. 

2 minutes ago, DomNH said:

Did you measure on pavement? Because there's definitely less on pavement but the deck is pretty impressive. 

If you want to get technical the muck on the bottom is real. The deck kind of eliminates that by letting the some of the melted water drip out rather than soak up into the new and compact it. You also get cold air on the bottom side of your measuring area which helps it accumulate. I’m not sure what your ground skin temp was when this started, but if it was like 35F and you were measuring from a board on the ground, the board would feel the effects of that. More proof that measuring snow is an inexact science.

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

If you want to get technical the muck on the bottom is real. The deck kind of eliminates that by letting the some of the melted water drip out rather than soak up into the new and compact it. You also get cold air on the bottom side of your measuring area which helps it accumulate. I’m not sure what your ground skin temp was when this started, but if it was like 35F and you were measuring from a board on the ground, the board would feel the effects of that. More proof that measuring snow is an inexact science.

Stop stealing our snow!

Archived