Total Members
    Most Online
    McHenrySnow
    Newest Member
    McHenrySnow
Ji

March 1-2 wind event

7 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

I agree...we're about to hit 50k outages in Montgomery.  Top 5 event.  

The only thing missing for something historic would be leafed out trees. If this happened in say....late May...it would be talked about basically forever. 

What are the peak gusts @ the big 3? I see IAD topped 60mph. Looks like BWI and DCA haven't hit 60 yet?

Just now, Bob Chill said:

The only thing missing for something historic would be leafed out trees. If this happened in say....late May...I would be talked about basically forever. 

What are the peak gusts @ the big 3? I see IAD topped 60mph. Looks like BWI and DCA haven't hit 60 yet?

DCA hit 62 mph earlier today. Don't know if that's been topped yet. IAD hit 71 mph about half an hour ago.

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

The only thing missing for something historic would be leafed out trees. If this happened in say....late May...I would be talked about basically forever. 

Non QC report from a fire station in bethesda of E70mph...multiple trees into houses within the past house.  

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

Dulles: 67 mph

Reagan: 62 mph

Baltimore: 52 mph

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow...Would've never thought a wind event would be that exciting (outside of a TS or derecho, anyway)...but this certainly has been interesting to watch!! At least there's something to salvage...lol

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

The only thing missing for something historic would be leafed out trees. If this happened in say....late May...it would be talked about basically forever. 

IAD gusted to 71 at 11:39 according to NWS twitter

Yea, 70+mph is VERY impressive for winds not related to a supercell or tropical. This is legit. 

My power has briefly went off 3-4 times but never for more than 15 seconds. I haven't lost power for more than 1 hour since the big tree trimming project. Prior to that I lost power for multiple days multiple times during far less significant events. I'll give some props to Pepco. 

• Like 2

What would be truly EPIC, would be the location where WxWatcher went to see snow, gets 38 inches of heavy wet snow then he gets marooned. For days and days and days.

18 minutes ago, caviman2201 said:

Yuck...

Capture.JPG

I want to yak every time I fly on a CR2 in clear wx.  That said, lots of buzz on the AV forums about IAD in ground stop until 1PM, landings on RWY 30, tower evacuated...all things that generally don't ever happen.  DCA is also reportedly landing on RWY 33, which is extremely rare.  AA and DL have all but ceased attempts to operate there.

• Like 1

There's the 71 mph gust at the ASOS at IAD.

KIAD 021652Z 31031G49KT 10SM BKN044 05/M04 A2978 RMK AO2 PK WND 29062/1638 SLP084 T00501044
  • Like 1

Just now, Stormpc said:

This was one of my neighbors houses earlier. Since then he's lost a good deal more of his shingles.

20180302_081446.jpg

Might want to tweet that to NWS...legit wind.

There is a temporary ground stop at @Dulles_Airport while the @FAANews implements their contingency plan. The FAA Tower was evacuated due to high winds and FAA controllers are currently transitioning to the airport ramp tower. Normal operations expected to resume shortly.

12 minutes ago, Jebman said:

What would be truly EPIC, would be the location where WxWatcher went to see snow, gets 38 inches of heavy wet snow then he gets marooned. For days and days and days.

He's near Albany, NY he's popped in on the upstate forum.