SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 1-2 wind event

Ji

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Power went off anout 10am yesterday I estimate. Was already out at work when I arrived Fri am. Just drove to Crofton for gas and all seems fine there.  Worked outdoors in Chetlanham area Fri. Traffic lights out starting from Upper Marlboro southward. Work was in a woodland and we saw/heard 3 trees snap over by the time we left. A few softwood trees knocked over here. Plus deads. No healthy hardwoods broken.

3 hours ago, RDM said:

For those far more knowledgeable than I.....  Where does this event rank on the scale of wind events?  Obviously, it was not only the magnitude of the gusts, but the duration that made it noteworthy.  Guess I'm including tropical events as well in the question. 

With the 10 consecutive hours of 50+ gusts at DCA, throw out the first and last hour and the other 8 averaged 57, and I think it's biggest and most protracted event since Isabel 

4 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Highest gust imby for the event was 43. Carroll Co. seemed to have dodged a bullet .I saw lots of damage and power outages  last night in Harford Co though.  

Same here. Might have seen some gusts reach 40 but wouldn't be surprised if we didn't. Besides being a long duration event it was a pretty typical winter wind storm for our locale. Mind you not complaining. To many big trees around the house to want to see what they had down in sections of MD.

4 minutes ago, RDM said:

Electric service just came back on after 27 hours.  Burned about 15 gallons in the generator.  Not bad considering the surge in the well pump draws quite a few amps.  Ran both furnaces the entire time.  Hope those w/o are back online soon.  Time to head out and start clearing the downed locust trees...  

Did they snap or were they uprooted? Locust trees are pretty brittle if I remember correctly. As a child we had a big one in the yard that was always good for dropping some big/huge limbs after a wind storm.

Power has been on since this morning. Getting back to normal, Frederick still a mess.   Don't recall this many roof shingles laying around after a wind event. Bet JeffP wishes he chased here to do a PBP.  Also a lot of garbage was blown out of containers  and is tangled on the edge of wooded areas.  Got some cleanup work here.

My neighborhood spared pretty well. Power went out twice but both less than 1 minute long. Mostly small branches down. Noticed a couple basketball hoops down and a Port-A-Pot knocked down at a new house construction site. Saw one house with shingles that came off.

Visited a local park, Fort Smallwood Park, located along the Patapsco River in Pasadena. They had some extensive tree damage including a few trees snapped in half and a couple uprooted. 

p2768430961-3.jpg

p2768430966-3.jpg

p2768430965-3.jpg

p2768430959-3.jpg

p2768430974-3.jpg

7 hours ago, showmethesnow said:

Did they snap or were they uprooted? Locust trees are pretty brittle if I remember correctly. As a child we had a big one in the yard that was always good for dropping some big/huge limbs after a wind storm.

This time the two locust trees uprooted.  Prefer that option because it makes it easier to clean up if the root ball comes up too.  The two trees were only about 6 feet apart and both had been undermined by our local groundhog - nicknamed "chubby" by our neighbors.  Damn thing looks like a wallowing piece of carpet as it scurries from one hole to another in our front yard.  Back in Ohio he would have been taken care of quickly, but can't do that around here.  He had holes under both trees which probably helped contribute to their demise.  They took out part of a nice wild cherry when they fell, unfortunately.  

You are spot on about locust trees being brittle.  They are one of the hardest woods out there, which is why they are one of the few woods approved for direct bury in the ground.  Plus great for split rail fences.  In 2010 we had a micro burst come through our area which snapped two other locust trees off about 15 feet above the ground, about 40 feet from the two that fell yesterday.  Each tree was about 2 feet in diameter.  I was watching from our front door about 300 feet away when they snapped.  Wind broke them off like matchsticks while it was relatively calm at our front door.  Was a pretty surreal experience. 

Here's a couple of pics.  Got a fair bit of exercise today cutting them up into logs.  Will pile them up to dry tomorrow.  Good for firewood or for making outdoor benches.  Locust lasts just about forever....

IMG_4195.JPG

IMG_4198.JPG

IMG_4211.JPG

From a power outage perspective,  we are actually very lucky.  Isabel and the Derecho featured a lot of poles snapped, cross arms damaged and substation failures.  That requires days and weeks to restore.  This event was mostly sagging wires and arcing insulators.  Another mitigating factor is the lack of leaves which hide where the wires are.  The 108k outages that we once had are down to 10k 24 hours later.  That's unheard of anywhere else in the US. 

6 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

From a power outage perspective,  we are actually very lucky.  Isabel and the Derecho featured a lot of poles snapped, cross arms damaged and substation failures.  That requires days and weeks to restore.  This event was mostly sagging wires and arcing insulators.  Another mitigating factor is the lack of leaves which hide where the wires are.  The 108k outages that we once had are down to 10k 24 hours later.  That's unheard of anywhere else in the US. 

Dominion still has over 75,000 outages in N VA alone

7 hours ago, Eskimo Joe said:

What are you smoking? There are 10k out in Howard county alone. I haven't seen a bge truck anywhere in our area for the last two days, which is crazy since there is a huge depot just down the road. I'm still without power and their outage map has no eta on 90% of the outages in the county.

36 minutes ago, mdhokie said:

What are you smoking? There are 10k out in Howard county alone. I haven't seen a bge truck anywhere in our area for the last two days, which is crazy since there is a huge depot just down the road. I'm still without power and their outage map has no eta on 90% of the outages in the county.

There were a lot of schools in HoCo without power yesterday and I'm sure they are given a high priority, but I bet there are still a few not ready to open tomorrow.

Still 80K+ customers in VA w/o power.  While the linemen put a large dent in restoring service (peaked at 400k outages), noticed something on the DOM outage map.  As they've addressed some of the larger outages, smaller outages surfaced within the same zone/area.  Talked to the linemen last night working just down the street.  They say they work the largest outages first and those to schools, Government, First Responders and critical infrastructure.  As they work their way down in size of project, they often encounter previously unreported issues that have to be addressed in serial. 

They are working 18 hour days and don't anticipate having everyone back online until Tues or Wed, possibly later for some.

Archived